As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Life is a precious gift and so are we. However, it is our approach to life that matters most. How we view life greatly affects how we live. This is because thinking affects behavior and behavior affects our emotions.
Normally, people act under circumstances and emotions. Sometimes people tend to act irrationally and hence cling to inappropriate philosophies. This view of life is called negativity. Negativity is a cognitive distortion that leads to skewed thinking. People with negativity develop cognitive schemas that cause them to act irrationally. Such people will view the world as a totally bad place to live in and will complain more often, become easily irritated, and will be generally unhappy.
Additionally, people with negativity will exhibit inappropriate defense mechanisms such as denial and projection and will therefore blame others for their miseries. Therefore, negativity affects an individual’s happiness and overall performance and in extreme cases, it may lead to stress and eventually depression. The following is a list of negative quotes to explain what negativity is, its effects, and how it can be undone.
1. “There is a magnificent, beautiful, wonderful painting in front of you! It is intricate, detailed, a painstaking labor of devotion and love! The colors are like no other, they swim and leap, they trickle and embellish! And yet you choose to fixate your eyes on the small fly which has landed on it! Why do you do such a thing?”—C.JoyBell C
2. “Buy a gift for a dog, and you’ll be amazed at the way it will dance and swerve its tail, but if don’t have anything to offer to it, it won’t even recognize your arrival; such are the attributes of fake friends.”—Michael Bassey Johnson
3. “Negativity is the enemy of creativity.”—David Lynch
4. “If you attach to the negative behavior of others it brings you down to their level.”—Guru Singh
5. “There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative.”—W. Clement Stone
6. “Today I choose life. Every morning when I wake up I can choose joy, happiness, negativity, pain… To feel the freedom that comes from being able to continue to make mistakes and choices – today I choose to feel life, not to deny my humanity but embrace it.”—Kevyn Aucoin
7. “To all the other dreamers out there, don’t ever stop or let the world’s negativity disenchant you or your spirit. If you surround yourself with love and the right people, anything is possible.”—Adam Green
8. “If I could teach people to be grateful, we could have an amazing world where negativity could not grow and foster, and children would have a smile on their face.”—Catriona Gray
9. “We live in an age, in an era where there is so much negativity, there is so much violence in the world, there is so much unrest and people are at war, that I wanted to promote the word love and red signifies love.”—Elton John
10. “Positive thinking will let you do everything better than negative thinking will.”—Zig Ziglar
11. “If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.”—Peace Pilgrim
12. “When you wake up every day, you have two choices. You can either be positive or negative; an optimist or a pessimist. I choose to be an optimist. It’s all a matter of perspective.”—Harvey Mackay
13. “Once you replace negative thoughts with positive ones, you’ll start having positive results.”—Willie Nelson
14. “It takes but one positive thought when given a chance to survive and thrive to overpower an entire army of negative thoughts.”—Robert H. Schuller
15. “We can all agree that social media is an amazing platform where we can interact with and meet people and that we probably would have never had the chance to otherwise, right? However, it also has sadly become a place where some people go to share negative thoughts and comments.”—Peyton List
16. “You should tell yourself frequently ‘I will only react to constructive suggestions.’ This gives you positive ammunition against your own negative thoughts and those of others”—Jane Roberts
17. “Whenever I am faced with someone spreading negativity in my relationship, I remember the old saying, ‘Misery loves company.’ I am also reminded to be mindful of the company you keep. Sometimes you cannot see a hater until you are happy. It is then that they demonstrate their negativity”—Raheem DeVaughn
18. “We focus so much on our differences, and that is creating, I think, a lot of chaos and negativity and bullying in the world. And I think if everybody focused on what we all have in common – which is – we all want to be happy.”—Ellen DeGeneres
19. “Experiencing sadness and anger can make you feel more creative, and by being creative, you can get beyond your pain or negativity.”—Yoko Ono
20. “People deal too much with the negative, with what is wrong. Why not try and see positive things, to just touch those things and make them bloom?”—Thich Nhat Hanh
21. “You’re going to go through tough times – that’s life. But I say, ‘Nothing happens to you, it happens for you.’ See the positive in negative events.”—Joel Osteen
22. “You learn far more from negative leadership than from positive leadership. Because you learn how not to do it. And, therefore, you learn how to do it.”—Norman Schwarzkopf
23. “Self-reflection is so healthy. Journaling works for me – when I record the details of what I’m going through, whether it’s a relationship issue or negative thoughts, I can look back and see how far I’ve come. It makes me proud to see my progress and how I got through a bad situation”—Kelly Rowland
24. “Things don’t just fall into place because you have a dream. You’re always going to have those negative thoughts. Our minds love to play with us – we’re going to be our own worst critics – but I just say to myself, ‘File it back.’ I just try to bring any negative thoughts to light and deal with them, so I can file them away.”—Stephen Colletti
25. “Bondage is – subjection to external influences and internal negative thoughts and attitudes.”—W.Clement
26. “The darkness, the loop of negative thoughts on repeat, clamours and interferes with the music I hear in my head.”—Lady Gaga
27. “When you have a lot of stress and negativity around you, when you cut that away, you cleanse.”—Lil Jon
28. “No one can create negativity or stress within you. Only you can do that by virtue of how you process your world.”—Wayne Dyer
29. “I’m the kind of person who doesn’t really focus on more negativity. I’m a positive person, and I look at things in a positive way.”—Caster Semenya
30. “Never let the negativity get to you. There are gonna be a lot of people you have to plow through, but as long you believe in yourself, that’s all that matters.”—Becky G
31. “The best way of removing negativity is to laugh and be joyous.”—David Icke
32. “Determination Over Negativity is a belief that anything is possible no matter who you are or where you come from.”—Donovan Mitchel
33. “That’s my gift. I let that negativity roll off me like water off a duck’s back. If it’s not positive, I didn’t hear it. If you can overcome that, fights are easy.”—George Foreman
34. “Your beliefs, either positive or negative, helpful or hurtful, largely determine everything you do and how you do it.”—Brian Tracy
35. “You cannot be positive and move forward with life if you struggle with negative thinking. There are great ways to keep those motivational words in front of you which will have a positive impact on your thinking.”—Catherine Pulsifer
36. “Good things can come out of negative emotions – they can make you notice things that are wrong and need to be changed or fixed.”—Vanessa Allen
37. ‘Try to practice positive thinking. Every time a negative or worrying thought pops into your head, take a moment to convert it into a positive thought.”—Zayne Parker
38. “No matter the amount of negativity you’re presented with, five minutes from now could be your best moment.”—Mod Sun
39. “I dropped out of high school when I was, like, 15, so I just focused on doing music. It’s all I wanted to do; I didn’t want to work or anything else. I took all the negativity and obstacles that came with life, and I just put it in the music.”—Tyga
40. “There’s a way that you can throw negativity out there that seems rebellious. But I’ve always taken pleasure in a different kind of rebellion, which is putting a positive spin on everything, trying to enjoy myself at all times.”—Zac Efron
41. “The negative side of the American Dream comes when people pursue success at any cost, which in turn destroys the vision and the dream.”—Azar Nafisi
42. “Everything has positive and negative consequences.”—Farrah Fawcett
43.“One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. And so when I hear about negative and false attacks, I really don’t invest any energy in them, because I know who I am.”—Michelle Obama
In conclusion, negativity is a bad thinking habit that needs to be undone since it deprives happiness in an individual. It is a poison brewed inside a person’s mind and leads to cognitive distortions. If you spend a lot of time with negative people, their negativity will start to affect how you think, how you see the world, and how you interact with others.
These distortions cause the individual to act irrationally and view the world as an unpleasant place to be done. It is therefore wise to unlearn practices that accelerate negative thoughts and hence switch to positivity.