The Alchemist is a famous book written by Paulo Coelho. It is a timeless tale of love and adventure and challenges and possibilities. It’s a rare novel that has basically become a self-help book of sorts. The Alchemist is an inspirational story about Santiago (a shepherd boy) who embarks on a quest to find treasure. And instead he ends up on a more satisfying journey that is a metaphor for life.
As you read Santiago’s journey, it reminds you as the reader about the importance in following your heart and reaching for your dreams. These inspirational lessons that advocate following your own personal dreams and journey are why this book has been popular for decades. No matter your age, or place in life, this book will help re-boot your thinking. It will inspire you to stay focused on your heart.
If you need a reminder to listen to your heart and follow your passion, this book will inspire you to take advantage of the opportunities life presents you with and purse the things that truly make you happy. And you will see why this book continues to inspire people around the world.
Here are some of our favorite inspirational quotes from the book.
The Alchemist Quotes
1. “So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you.”
2. “Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.”
3. “When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
4. “When you possess great treasures within you, and you try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed.”
5. “You will never be able to escape your heart. So it’s better to listen to what it has to say.”
6. “When we love, we always strive to become better than we are. When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.”
7. “One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving.”
8. “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
9. “Before a dream is realized, the Soul of the World tests everything that was learned along the way. It does this not because it is evil, but so that we can, in addition to realizing our dreams, master the lessons we’ve learned as we’ve moved toward that dream. That’s the point at which most people give up.”
10. “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.”
11. “If I can learn to understand this language without words, I can learn to understand the world.”
12. “If it’s still in your mind, it is worth taking the risk.”
13. “At a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie.”
14. “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”
15. “No one should feel afraid of the unknown, because everyone is capable of achieving everything he wants and needs.”
16. “When each day is the same as the next, it’s because people fail to recognize the good things that happen in their lives every day that the sun rises.”
17. “The darkest hour of midnight comes just before dawn.”
18. “I don’t live in either my past or my future. I’m interested only in the present. If you can concentrate always on the present, you’ll be a happy man. Life will be a party for you, a grand festival, because life is the moment we’re living now.”
19. “A grain of sand is a moment of creation, and the universe has taken millions of years to create it.”
20. “The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see them.”
21. “Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself, and no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams.”
22. “To realize one’s destiny is a person’s only obligation.”
23. “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
24. “Ever since time began, people have recognized their true love by the light in their eyes.”
25. “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure. You’ve got to find the treasure, so that everything you have learned along the way can make sense.”
26. “All things are one.”
27. “Listen to your heart. It knows all things, because it came from the Soul of the World, and it will one day return there.”
28. “There is only one way to learn. It’s through action. Everything you need to know you have learned through your journey.”
29. “I’m proud of the scars in my soul. They remind me that I have an intense life.”
30. “I’m like everyone else — I see the world in terms of what I would like to see happen, not what actually does.”
31. “Every blessing ignored becomes a curse.
32. “It’s the simple things in life that are the most extraordinary; only wise men are able to understand them.”
33. “No matter what he does, every person on earth plays a central role in the history of the world. And normally he doesn’t know it.”
34. “And, when you can’t go back, you have to worry only about the best way of moving forward.”
Related: Quotes from Don Quixote
The Alchemist Video Summary
If you want a quick and fun video summary of the book, watch this video.
The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho, is a story about a young shepherd named Santiago who is able to find a treasure beyond his wildest dreams and feelings of self-doubt. In this fable, the author uses magical realism to portray Santiago’s physical and spiritual journey, as he learns to listen to his heart and realizes that his aspirations belong not only to him but to the universe as well.
Apply these inspiring quotes from The Alchemist to keep you focused on your life journey
Which of these quotes is your favorite? Go ahead and leave me a note in the comments – I read every single comment.
And if you want to read The Alchemist, you can pick up a copy here.
And remember the overall message of the book – when in doubt, listen to your heart…it knows the way.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.