Antisocial behavior is usually seen as behavior that lacks consideration for others and violates social norms. It’s even been linked to hostility, aggression, and vandalism. However, antisocial behavior doesn’t always consist of socially unacceptable acts. Sometimes, it just means you prefer to be alone and enjoy your own company.
If you’re feeling lonely and want something to relate to, look no further. Our top antisocial quotes may just speak to you.
40 of Our Favorite Antisocial Quotes
1. “Humans are naturally social; civilization causes us to be antisocial.” – Kirk D. Sinclair
2. “The poet, the artist, the sleuth – whoever sharpens our perception tends to be antisocial; rarely “well-adjusted”, he cannot go along with currents and trends. A strange bond often exists between antisocial types in their power to see environments as they really are. This need to interface, to confront environments with a certain antisocial power is manifest in the famous story “The Emperor’s New Clothes.”” – Marshall McLuhan
3. “The only thing that could spoil a day was people. People were always the limiters of happiness except for the very few that were as good as spring itself.” – Ernest Hemingway
4. “I don’t know, maybe I just wanted to be alone. Maybe I just didn’t want to be social because antisocial people have a whole lot less to lose.” – Chris Bohjalian
5. “He wasn’t antisocial – he always had friends, and everybody liked him – but he could go off and entertain himself for hours. He didn’t seem to need toys or friends. He could be alone without being lonely.” – Carine McCandless
6. “If the conversation doesn’t interest us, we often go quiet and wander the wonderland that is our imagination. We find endless entertainment in our ideas and fantasies.” – Michaela Chung
7. “I don’t care when people think I’m an antisocial, controlling bookworm because that’s what I am. It’s when they interpret me wrong that I have a problem.” – Kasie West
8. “I find it wholesome to be alone the greater part of the time. To be in company, even with the best, is soon wearisome and dissipating. I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.” – Henry David Thoreau
9. “I have to remind myself constantly to not be antisocial, because I say to myself a lot. I’m a lot more introspective than my characters.” – Katee Sackhoff
10. “It’s a circus life, the movies. It’s a lot of travelling, a lot of antisocial hours; there’s a lot of it that’s about escaping from life.” – Paul Greengrass
11. “Companionship is a foreign concept to some people. They fear it as much as the majority of people fear loneliness.” – Criss Jami
12. “Anti-social behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists.” – Nikola Tesla
13. “Imaginative writing has always been a solitary and indeed a somewhat antisocial activity. Apprenticeship existed, no doubt, but it was an apprenticeship to books and not to living masters of the craft.” – Madison Smartt Bell
14. “Apparently when it’s two people, it’s quirky and funny, but when it’s a person doing the same stuff on her own, it’s rebellious and antisocial.” – Katie Alender
15. “I found, increasingly, that I did not particularly care and I tried to fake a little kindness, a little sweetness, tried to mirror Luna back at herself, but that exhausted me after a week and I concluded that I was not meant for this sort of thing, friends, friendliness, no, I wasn’t meant for it.” – Catherine Lacey
16. “Until now he had thought that it was the world in general he had wanted to squirm away from. But it was not the world, it was the people in it.” – Patrick Süskind
17. “It wasn’t that she necessarily wanted to “socialize” at the bonfire, but she wanted to broadcast to the general population that her antisocial behavior was a personal choice not a sentence to social leprosy.” – J.D. Stroube
18. “I think there is something about the Internet which gives people almost an opportunity to role play and to create a facade, an image. I see that as quite a dangerous development because I think what we call social networking, Twitter, Facebook, etc., is actually quite antisocial.” – Steven Wilson
19. “I am not antisocial, I just feel better when people are not around.” – Efrat Cybulkiewicz
20. “You could call me antisocial, I’ve called myself that sometimes too, but I just prefer to be alone, and that’s nothing against you.” – Dawud Wharnsby Ali
21. “Being anti-social can also mean that you’re aware of how annoying it is to be social.” – Dov Davidoff
22. “We are not anti-social; we’re differently social.” – Susan Cain
23. “Many of our moments of prosociality, of altruism and Good Samaritanism, are acts of restitution, attempts to counter our antisocial moments.” – Robert Sapolsky
24. “Nobody adopts antisocial behavior unless they fear that they will fail if they remain on the social side of life.” – Alfred Adler
25. “To me, socializing was like sinking to the bottom of a deep, deep ocean… Until eventually you couldn’t take it anymore and had to come up for air.” – Shimamura (Adachi and Shimamura)
26. “I love mankind… it’s people I can’t stand!” – Charles M. Schulz
27. “I have recently been called antisocial, and I’d like to set the record straight. I am not antisocial, I like social. It’s people I don’t like!” – Greg Curtis
28. “I’m on the benevolent side of antisocial. I don’t mind people, but I’d prefer not to have a lot of them around.” – J.R. Ward
29. “I’m not antisocial. I just want to be left alone.” – Roland (Darkness Dawns)
30. “‘Oh, they don’t miss me…I’m antisocial they say. I don’t mix. It’s so strange. I’m very social indeed. It all depends on what you mean by social, doesn’t it? Social to me means talking to you about things like this…Or talking about how strange the world is. Being with people is nice. But I don’t think it’s social to get a bunch of people together and then not let them talk, do you?'” – Clarisse (Fahrenheit 451)
31. “You knew better than that. And it’s such an old one to me. My antisocial stubbornness is so well-known that I didn’t think anyone would waste time trying to tempt me again.” – Ayn Rand
32. “I was really bored, pretty antisocial, and not much of a joiner, and people thought that was a problem. I hated high school. In a way, it was good… I think, for a writer, it’s good to be comfortable with being on the outside.” – Deborah Ellis
33. “Anxiety kicked in. I lacked people skills all my life. Any normal human interaction was foreign to me. I don’t know what to say, to not look like a major dork or something. I am weird like that. Always was.
The dead – that’s a whole other world we’re talking about. They can’t interfere with my everyday life, other than to annoy me. I can be myself around the dead. The dead are good. The living? Not so much.” – Tia Artemis
34. “All this talking, this rather liquid confessing, was something I didn’t think I could ever bring myself to do. It seemed foolhardy to me, like an uncooked egg deciding to come out of its shell: there would be a risk of spreading out too far, turning into a formless puddle.” – Margaret Atwood
35. “And for this you must have quiet and solitude. But society does not allow you to have them. You must be with people, outwardly active at all costs. If you are alone, you are considered antisocial or peculiar, or you are afraid of your own loneliness.” – Jiddu Krishnamurti
36. On being antisocial: “You have less people at your funeral, but you get more reading time.” – Robert James
37. “I’m not negative, pessimistic, angry, antisocial or schizophrenic. I’m a writer and entitled to all that with pride.” – Daniel Marques
38. “I’m a little bit antisocial and I recently discovered that I’m introverted. But the love between people makes me alive.” – Emily Saliers
39. “When you can’t smoke, if you stand and stare out of the window on your own, you’re an antisocial, friendless idiot. If you stand and stare out of the window on your own with a cigarette, you’re a philosopher.” – Rory Sutherland
40. “All writing is an antisocial act, since the writer is a man who can speak freely only when alone; to be himself he must lock himself up, to communicate he must cut himself off from all communication; and in this there is something always a little mad.” – Kenneth Tynan
Top 20 Antisocial Quotes | Kawei Quotes
Antisocial Social Club! Let’s never meet up.
Antisocial behavior is made to seem rare, but it’s actually quite common. Some are simply introverts, while others want to keep their distance from society. If you identified with our antisocial quotes, you might be someone with antisocial tendencies.
However, it’s never too late to start socializing. Whether it’s meeting people online, joining clubs, partaking in extracurricular activities, or going to more parties, the world is your oyster. There are 7 billion people in the world – you’ll definitely find someone who shares your interests!
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.