As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Tales of blood-sucking creatures have been around since the beginning of civilization, although the name vampire was not used until the 18th century. In mankind’s early years, these creatures accomplished the same feat we now associate with vampires, that of drinking human blood. They were envisioned as demons or malevolent spirits.
Man has always had ways to attempt to protect himself from these creatures. Garlic, mirrors, holy water, and other items have been used as talismans to ward off vampires. Numerous ways to kill vampires or prevent them from escaping their coffins have been utilized throughout the centuries for protection.
Here are 50 of the best quotes from books and films, as well as thoughts about vampires from some famous people.
- “The vampire is an outsider. He’s the perfect metaphor for those things. He’s someone who looks human and sounds human, but is not human, so he’s always on the margins.” Anne Rice
- ““Mom. I have something to tell you. I’m undead. Now, I know you may have some preconceived notions about the undead. I know you may not be comfortable with the idea of me being undead. But I’m here to tell you that undead are just like you and me … well, okay. Possibly more like me than you.” Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes
- “Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.” Bela Lugosi
- “It’s probably a bad indicator of your lifestyle when you miss your ex-boyfriend because he’s absolutely lethal.” Charlaine Harris, Dead to the World
- “When other little girls wanted to be ballet dancers I kind of wanted to be a vampire.” Angelina Jolie
- “Bring a vampire around, people start discovering religion.” Richard Laymon, The Stake
- “I took mythology a lot more seriously since I’d become a vampire.” Stephenie Meyer, Breaking Dawn
- “The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.” Garrett Fort
- “I’m going to talk to her.””And how’s that going to go? You’re just going to walk up to her and say, ‘Hey, I know you’ve never seen me before, but I’m your dad. Oh, and guess what? You’ve won the evolutionary lottery: You’re a vampire. Let’s go to Disneyland!” J.R. Ward, Dark Lover
- “Vampires can live a very long time, theoretically forever, which means their idea of getting down to business can be damn leisurely.” Laurell K. Hamilton
- “I’m going out to get a bite to drink.” George Hamilton, Love at First Bite
- We enjoy the night, the darkness, where we can do things that aren’t acceptable in the light. Night is when we slake our thirst. William Hill
- “By the way, my name’s Rose Hathaway. I’m seventeen years old, training to protect and kill vampires, in love with a completely unsuitable guy, and have a best friend whose weird magic could drive her crazy.Hey, no one said high school was easy.” Richelle Mead, Frostbite
- “Consequently, if you believe God made Satan, you must realize that all Satan’s power comes from God and so that Satan is simply God’s child, and that we are God’s children also. There are no children of Satan, really.”Anne Rice, Interview with the Vampire
- Into every generation comes a vampire. Holly Black
- “I am neither good, nor bad, neither angel nor devil, I am a man, I am a vampire.” Michael Romkey, I, Vampire
- “Vampires have become tragic or romantic figures. Vampires are largely seduction tales. They’re no longer the scary creature in the dark.” Stephen Graham Jones
- “My favorite vampire movie used to be Bram Stoker’s ‘Dracula,’ but now ’30 Days of Night’ took its place. I think it’s brilliant that somebody would be so thoughtful as to put these vampires in a place like Barrow, Alaska, where there are actually ’30 Days of Night.” Tech N9ne
- “Vampires bore a grudge longer than any technically living creatures, and whenever they were in a bad temper, they expressed themselves through murder. ” Cassandra Clare
- “To the jaded eye, all vampires seem alike, but they are wonderful in their versatility. Some come to life in moonlight, others are killed by the sun, some pierce with their eyes, others with fangs, some are reactionary, others are rebels, but all are disturbingly close to the mortals they prey on. I can think of no other monsters who are so receptive. Vampires are neither inhuman nor non-human nor all-too-human, they are simply more alive than they should be.” Nina Auerbach, Our Vampires, Ourselves
- “Even bipolar vampires needed sleep from time to time, and he was well past his recommended safe dosage of stress.” Rachel Caine
- “But first, on earth as vampire sent, Thy corpse shall from its tomb be rent, Then ghastly haunt thy native place, And suck the blood of all thy race; There from thy daughter, sister, wife, At midnight drain the stream of life; Yet loathe the banquet which perforce Must feed thy livid living corpse.” Lord Byron, The Giaour
- “A starving child is a frightful sight. A starving vampire, even worse. ” Anne Rice
- “I’ve always had a fascination with vampires. It’s not that I’m exactly fascinated with the dark side. It’s the human struggle with it. How we deal with those two aspects of who we are.” Sheryl Lee
- “She took out a shiny folded pamphlet, the kind they kept stacked in clear plastic stands in hospital waiting rooms. “How to Come Out to Your Parents,” she read out loud. “LUKE. Don’t be ridiculous. Simon’s not gay, he’s a vampire.” Cassandra Clare, City of Ashes
- “The phenomenon of vampires has always appealed to me. Everyone kind of likes a vampire story because it almost could be true.” Bill Nighy
- “The whole theme of Interview with the Vampire was Louis’s quest for meaning in a godless world. He searched to find the oldest existing immortal simply to ask, What is the meaning of what we are?” Anne Rice
- “Ha,” I said. “Oh, ha-ha. Yeah, ’cause they love me. You see how many vampires are up here? Zero, right?”One,” said Eric, stepping out of the stairwell.” Charlaine Harris, All Together Dead
- “He was like Superman, but with fangs and oddly impaired morals.” Patricia Briggs, River Marked
- “Eternity is a long time to spend alone, without others of your kind.” Cassandra Clare, City of Fallen Angels
- “You’re much shorter than my mom.””Brat,” she said, surprised into a giggle.”That’s no way to talk to a vampire.”
“Better” he said.” Rachel Caine, Ghost Town
- “Vampire doesn’t see his image. Even less in the holy water.” Charles De Leusse
- “It’s almost as if we each have a vampire inside us. Controlling that beast, that dark side, is what fascinates me.” Sheryl Lee
- “The vampire underworld is much larger than most people could imagine. It exists in all the cities mentioned in the book, but also in many, many more. Teenagers, especially, seem to like to act out vampire fantasies.” James Patterson
- “As most people know, I am a vampire, so I have no reflection. Every day, I paste a picture of someone else on the mirror.” Meat Loaf
- “I used to work in a hospital, in a laboratory doing phlebotomy. I was a vampire.” John Edward
- “The vampire’s eyes were open, and he was staring at her intently. It was as though he were trying to speak to her with simply the power of a glare.Alexia did not speak glare-ish.” Gail Carriger, Soulless
- “I have been so long masterthat I would be master still, or at least that none othershould be master of me.” Bram Stoker, Dracula
- “What if it turns out there really are witches and vampires and werewolves living right here alongside us? After all, what better disguise could there be than to get your image enshrined in the culture of the mass media? Anything that’s described in artistic terms and shown in the movies stops being frightening and mysterious. For real horror you need the spoken word, you need an old grandpa sitting on a bench, scaring the grandkids in the evening.” Sergei Lukyanenko, Twilight Watch
- “I don’t understand what makes them come out like that!”“Hunger,” said Jem. “Were you thinking about blood?”“No.”“Were you thinking about eating me?” Will inquired.“No!”“No one would blame you,” said Jem. “He’s very annoying.” Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
- “Well, if pirates are bad,And vampires are worse,Then I pray that as long as I be
That though I sing of Vampirates
I never one shall see.
Yea, if pirates are danger
And vampires are death,
I’ll extend my prayer for thee-
That thine eyes never see a Vampirate
…and they never lay a hand on thee” Justin Somper, Demons of the Ocean
- “I have an interest in understanding evil. Who is the bad guy – the vampire who kills people and sucks their blood, or the survivalists who kill people to save their own lives? Is evil merely a creation of people? Or is there an evil nature? Or is it in the eye of the beholder? I really like these questions.” Lois Tilton
- “My vampires Lestat and Louis and Armand, they look more like angels than the feral Dracula. And they’re not repulsive like Dracula, they’re very seductive and beautiful. To me that added to the drama, to the tragic dilemma of the vampire, that immortality in the form of a vampire gave him so much power, and so many gifts, and so much charm and glamour.” Anne Rice
- “I am, he thought dimly, watching a vampire take a piss.” Stephen King
- “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but I might be a vampire so I don’t give a s**t. I’ll heal.” Gena Showalter, Lord of the Vampires
- “There was one great tomb more lordly than all the rest; huge it was, and nobly proportioned. On it was but one word, DRACULA.” Bram Stoker, Dracula
- “I can do this, I lied to myself feebly. No one was going to bite me.” Stephenie Meyer, Twilight
- “Vampirism: (n) 1. The condition of being a vampire, marked by the need to ingest blood and extreme vulnerability to sunlight. 2. The act of preying upon others for financial or emotional gain. 3. A gigantic pain in the butt.” Molly Harper, Nice Girls Don’t Have Fangs
- “What would a Mohammedan vampire do if faced with a cross?” Richard Matheson, I Am Legend
- “My Gullah grandfather is bringing a bag of dust to a vampire war. I feel better.” Elle Jasper, Afterlight
Related: Halloween Quotes
While we may never understand why the vampire of folklore captures and holds our collective imagination, these vampire quotes are fun and interesting, and a bit scary!
Although the concept of the vampire arose early as a way to describe what we could not understand, we are as scared today by vampires as we were in 3,000 B.C.E. Enjoy these quotes and leave the light on!
Vampire Video – Learn How to Do Makeup to look like a Vampire!
This is a fun simple tutorial. If you want to look like a vampire for Halloween – or any other day – check out this video!