As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Tyler Gregory Okonma, better known by his stage name Tyler, The Creator, is an American rapper and music video director. Born in Ladera Heights, California, he rose to prominence as the leader and co-founder of the alternative hip hop collective Odd Future and has rapped on and produced songs for nearly every Odd Future release.
Tyler, the Creator has been a million things over the course of his career: pest, provocateur, public nuisance, icon, ringleader, trendsetter and revolutionary. But we often forget that at his core, the Odd Future mastermind has always been a great rapper. Yes, his flow is a little chunky and awkward and Tyler himself seems to be at his happiest behind the boards, but his fascination with the intricacies and pivots in the English language is clear.
Tyler’s wordplay is incredible and he routinely unveils dozens of bizarre, experimental bars that smush into each other like post-modern poetry scribbled into the tight margins of a three-ringed notepad. With the release of “Flower Boy,” his fifth and best album, we decided to look back on the many times he leveled the competition.
Tyler the Creator Quotes
- “I’m not a follower. I’m a leader. And anyone who speaks their mind is always criticised.”
- “Humans have voids, and you need things to fill voids… I didn’t have a dad to fill that male model void, so when I heard Eminem or freaking seen Dave Chapelle, that’s what I gravitated to…”
- “I’m a big ‘Goosebumps’ fan – ‘Revenge of the Lawn Gnomes.’ My favorites are the pick-your-own-death ones.”
- “I don’t have a therapist, so I use me as my own therapist when I’m making the music.”
- “I want to do films and have my name mentioned next to Wes Anderson and Quentin Tarantino. I don’t want my name mentioned next to other rappers at all.”
- “For the record, I don’t worship the devil. I just hate religion.”
- “I don’t like people around me sad. I like making people happy.”
- “I’m an optimistic guy. I’m one of those big dreamers. I’m one of those kids with that annoying imagination.
- “I want to make as much money as I possibly can so that when my day comes, my mother and sister is fine. My close friends are fine. They don’t have to worry about anything ever again.”
- “Rap is really just too conventional. Everybody does the same thing. No one ever pushes the box.”
- “I never had a drink in my life. I don’t smoke or anything.”
- “If the world was ending, I think I would grab some Cinnamon Toast Crunch, a bunch of water, and I’d probably just… I’d probably go crazy.”
- “I want to design jewelry for girls and guys… I’ma spread it out, but I’ma design, probably when I’m just designing furniture and buildings, I’ll probably being the jewelry thing, too.”
- “”I just live life. I grew up in a Christian family, but, you know, the way Mom brought me up is to, you know, do you, to always be yourself.”
- “I wasn’t shy, but I was really hyper. Nobody got my sense of humor. I was a black skater kid.”
- “I’m a pretty nice dude. I have fun, and people take it the wrong way.
- “I think I’m cool. That’s all that matters.”
- “I try to tell all the – not even the kids, even people older than me – to just be themselves. Don’t wear what I wear ’cause I wear it; wear what you like.
- “Youth is something I never wanna take for granted. I just want to smile and live life.
- “I really want to sing, but my tone of voice is really too deep to do what I want.
- “I’m not into fashion, but I like design. I wear the same shoes every day.
- “I don’t like being put in a box. I just make music, you know?”
- “I like my raps but I’m never too happy with some of ’em because I feel like they could be better. But every time I hear my flow on that song I wow myself.
- “Hawthorne sucks… It’s a crazy place, and I’m happy that I was the weird one that got out.”
- “I don’t really listen to rap; I just like to rap.”
- “Somebody called me a homophobe. I’m not homophobic.”
- “My lyrics aren’t offensive. Some people find everything offensive.”
- “I think, if I had a dad, I would have went the normal college route. I’m so stoked my life panned out how it was.”
- “I’m hungry for VMAs and Grammys. That’s my main goal.”
- “Usually, when I’m rappin’, I’m creating a big story or a concept song that sounds like a movie to me.”
- “To me, Sid Vicious is cool. Super chill.”
- “I tweet early in the morning when I wake up or late at night just to let you know that I have a show or what’s on my mind, and that’s it. I hate Snapchat and all of that. It’s making kids so stupid.”
- “The thing is, I make music I like. So it’s just weird if someone says they don’t like it.”
- “I want to take Justin Bieber for a month and just lock him up in a cage where we sit and make music. He’s one of the most successful people in the world, but his music could be so much tighter.”
- “I’m like a big 10-year-old when I’m on stage. I just go up there and do whatever I think is cool at the moment.”
- “Yo I’m seventeen, already sniffin blow. I tell my friends its asthmary time I itch my throat, I got a new show for MTV, Pimp My Boat.”
- “Listen deeper than the music before you put it in the box.”
- “I slipped myself some pink Xannies/And danced around the house in all-over print panties.”
- “I sold my soul to the devil. Lucifer will have my soul.”
- “Golf Media is basically my brain in one place. It does just about everything except cure asthma. If you find an app that cures asthma, definitely let me know.”
- “I’m a really, really, smart, multi-talented almost-genius, who’s very annoying.”
- “I don’t smoke at all. I think that cigarettes are actually retarded. I don’t understand why people do that to themselves.”
- “Wayne’s cool. I ran into him at my hangout back home, and he’s just cool. I actually have this beat that I want him on, but I was too scared to get it to Clancy to get to them, but Wayne’s cool.”
- “I want the cheesy dates at the movies, the stupid walks at the beach and sharing straws in a cup.”
- “The devil doesn’t wear prada; I’m clearly in a — white tee.”
- “For the record, I don’t worship the devil. I just hate religion.¨
- ¨If the world was ending, I think I would grab some Cinnamon Toast Crunch, a bunch of water, and I’d probably just… I’d probably go crazy.¨
- ¨I’m like a big 10-year-old when I’m on stage. I just go up there and do whatever I think is cool at the time¨
- ¨Somebody called me a homophobe. I’m not.¨
- ¨I’m not hip-hop. I’m Tyler.¨
- ¨My lyrics aren’t offensive. Some people find everything offensive.¨
- ¨banana milk fool¨
- “I’m going harder than coming out the closet to conservative Christian fathers”
- “I’m a businessman, you ain’t ever been the man”
- “2DopeBoyz don’t want beef / they’re just overweight vegetarians”
- “Listening to Mac DeMarco / hanging out the roof window / switch to 3rd gear, turbo.”
- “Might f*ck around and be a goat named Felicia”
- “I’m watching Freaks and Geeks / with the trampoline on the floor / I’m trying to cop the new McLaren / with the vertical doors”
- “Named the album Cherry Bomb ’cause Greatest Hits sounded boring”
- “Do you know how weird it is knowing that I make a bunch of cheese / while my friends can’t afford little pizzas from Little Caesar’s? “
- I’m harder than DJ Khaled playing the quiet game”
- “They say success is the best revenge so I beat DeShay up with the stack of magazines I’m in”
- ¨Im a f*cking walking paradox¨
Tyler the Creator Video – NPR Tiny Desk Concert
If you want to see an AWESOME Tyler show, this Tiny Desk Concert is really fun. For those of you who haven’t seen these, they are very small studio shows that NPR puts on. They have a great reputation for being more chill, more fun and more intimate. Give this video a watch.
Do these Tyler the Creator Quotes inspire you to listen to his music today?
Tyler’s most recent album, his fifth one, Igor was acclaimed by critics and became Tyler’s first number one album on the Billboard 200. It also won “Best Rap Album” at the 2020 Grammy Awards. So far, Tyler has won a Brit Award, an MTV Video Music Award and a grammy. He is still quite young and we think he has a very long future ahead.
His personal clothing company is Golf and their website is here.