Quentin Tarantino is an American actor, screenwriter, and director who has achieved the peak of commercial and critical success. He fell in love with movies as a child and wanted to direct since he was very young. He did poorly in school and dropped out of high school to work at a video store.
While working at the video rental store, he began learning how to create movies apart from just watching. And over time, he got his real success from Pulp Fiction in 1994. Moreover, he has made the 10-film goal, his ninth movie being Once a Time in Hollywood in 2019.
The end of his directorial career is likely to be marked by his tenth movie. Quentin Tarantino being among the most accomplished directors in cinema history is known for some famous quotes. Here are some of the most famous quotes by this inspirational character.
The Most Inspirational Quentin Tarantino Quotes
1. “It’s very important that every movie I do makes money because I want the people that had the faith in me to get their money back.”- Quentin Tarantino.
2. “I’m a big collector of Vinyl-I have a record room in my house-and I’ve always had a huge soundtrack album collection.”- Quentin Tarantino.
3. “Reservoir Dogs is a small film, and part of its charm was that it was a small film. I’d probably make it for $3 million now so I’d have more breathing room.”- Quentin Tarantino.
4. “His movie is called ‘Planet Terror,’ and mine is called ‘Death Proof,’… Mine is sort of a slasher film, but instead of a knife, it’s a car. … His, he’s dealing with zombies and all that stuff. I think his might end up being more violent, but I’m not finished with my [script] yet, so you never know.”- Quentin Tarantino.
5. “I’m not a Hollywood basher because enough good movies come out of the Hollywood system every year to justify its existence, without any apologies.”- Quentin Tarantino.
6. “If I really considered myself a writer, I wouldn’t be writing screenplays. I’d be writing novels.”- Quentin Tarantino.
7. “I like it when somebody tells me a story, and I actually really feel that that’s becoming like a lost art in American cinema.”- Quentin Tarantino.
8. “The same light SHINES from the case. Pumpkin’s expression goes to amazement. Honey Bunny across the room, can’t see shit”- Quentin Tarantino.
9. “Ezekiel 25:17 – “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.”-Quentin Tarantino.
10. “He’s reading it pretty good, but he’s still reading it from the page, and every once in a while he stumbles over his words.”- Quentin Tarantino.
11. “There are two ways: my way and the highway.”- Quentin Tarantino.
12. “You guys like to tell jokes and giggle and kid around, huh? Giggling like a bunch of young broads in a school yard. Well, let me tell you a joke: Five guys sitting in a bull pen, San Quentin. Wondering how the f##k they got there. What’d we do wrong? What should we’ve done? What didn’t we do? It’s your fault, my fault, his fault. All that bullshit. Finally, someone comes up with the idea, wait a minute, while we were planning this caper, all we did was sit around and tell f##king jokes. Got the message?”- Quentin Tarantino.
13. “You don’t have to know how to make a movie. If you truly love cinema with all your heart and with enough passion, you can’t help but make a good movie.”- Quentin Tarantino.
14. “Something stopped me in school a little bit. Anything that I’m not interested in, I can’t even feign interest.”-Quentin Tarantino.
15. “As a writer, I demand the right to write any character in the world that I want to write. I demand the right to be them, I demand the right to think them and I demand the right to tell the truth as I see they are.”- Quentin Tarantino.
16. “Hamburgers! The corner-stone of any nutritious breakfast.”-Quentin Tarantino.
17. “Any actor who shows up at rehearsal without a pen to make notes in their script isn’t professional enough to either be in my movie or worthy enough to be trusted with one of my characters. That’s actually part of rehearsal: to test the actors, and if they’re not up to snuff, get rid of them. That’s my job, making sure I’ve picked the right people.”- Quentin Tarantino.
18. “I want to risk hitting my head on the ceiling of my talent. I want to really test it out and say: Ok you’re not that good. You just reached the level here. I don’t ever want to fail, but I want to risk failure every time out of the gate.”- Quentin Tarantino.
19. “You should be able to criticize civil servants for what you think is wrongdoing without being painted as a cop-hater. I don’t feel the police are all corrupt, however, I do feel they are suffering from institutional racism and there needs to be a top-to-bottom examination of the way they practice and the way they criminalize young black and brown males.”- Quentin Tarantino.
20. “I don’t believe you should stay onstage until people are begging you to get off. I like the idea of leaving them wanting a bit more.”- Quentin Tarantino.
21. “I actually think one of my strengths is my storytelling.”- Quentin Tarantino.
22. “Emotion will always win over coolness and cleverness. It’s when a scene works emotionally and it’s cool and clever, then it’s great. That’s what you want.”- Quentin Tarantino.
23. “If you go out and see a lot of movies in a given year, it’s really hard to come up with a top ten, because you saw a lot of stuff that you liked. A top 20 is easier. You probably get one masterpiece a year, and I don’t think you should expect more than one masterpiece a year, except in a really great year.”- Quentin Tarantino.
24. “The easiest way to kill a cult is to make that cult accessible.”- Quentin Tarantino.
25. “The easiest way to kill a cult is to make that cult accessible.”- Quentin Tarantino.
26. “Don’t write what you think people want to read. Find your voice and write about what’s in your heart.”- Quentin Tarantino.
27. “The good ideas will survive.” – Quentin Tarantino.
28. “When engaged in combat, the vanquishing of thine enemy can be the warrior’s only concern. Suppress all human Emotion and compassion. Kill whoever stands in thy way, even if that be Lord God or Buddha himself. This truth lies at the heart of the art of combat.”- Quentin Tarantino.
29. “I’ve never considered myself a writer writing stuff to sell, but as a director who writes stuff for himself to direct.”- Quentin Tarantino.
30. “Superman didn’t become Superman. Superman was born Superman. When Superman wakes up in the morning, he’s Superman. His alter ego is Clark Kent. Clark Kent is how Superman views us. And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He’s weak… he’s unsure of himself… he’s a coward. Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race.”- Quentin Tarantino.
31. “Don’t you hate that? Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it’s necessary to yak about bullshit in order to be comfortable? That’s when you know you’ve found somebody special. When you can just shut the f##k up for a minute and comfortably enjoy the silence.”- Quentin Tarantino.
32. “Movies are not about the weekend that they’re released, and in the grand scheme of things, that’s probably the most unimportant time of a film’s life.”- Quentin Tarantino.
33. “I am a writer. That’s what I do. It’s a writer’s job not just to write about himself but to look at the rest of humanity and explore it — other people’s way of talking, the phrases they use. And my head is a sponge. I listen to what everyone says, I watch little idiosyncratic behavior; people tell me a joke, and I remember it. People tell me an interesting story in their life, and I remember it.”- Quentin Tarantino.
34. “It’s nice to get invited to the parties and to be able to hobnob and celebrate a job well done with your colleagues.”- Quentin Tarantino.
35. “Violence is a form of cinematic entertainment.”- Quentin Tarantino
36. “There’s a parenthetical downside to it that is completely dwarfed by the upside. The upside that exists today, filmmaking can be a democratic process. In which other people, other than rich white men, can make movies.”- Quentin Tarantino.
37. “If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions.”- Quentin Tarantino.
Quentin Tarantino Video – How to Write and Direct Movies
Quentin describes how to write and direct in this great short clip. In the Director’s chair interview series he offers amazing insights into his mental framework and how he approaches movie direction. If you are a film person, you will find some amazing insights here.
The quotes above will remind you how fascinating Quentin Tarantino is in Hollywood as a director. He has worked with the top actors in Hollywood and his quotes cover a wide range of topics.
We hope these quotes inspire you this week.
Image Credit: Georges Biard, CC BY-SA 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.