As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Albert Schweitzer was a revered French-German humanitarian, writer, theologian, medical missionary, organist, physician, and philosopher. Albert founded Albert Schweitzer Hospital located in Gabon. Also, he is famous for being a music scholar and an organist.
Albert Schweitzer studied the music of Johann Bach who was a German Composer. He influenced greatly the Organ Reform movement. Albert Schweitzer was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize due to his philosophy about “Reverence For Life” and this was in 1952.
He is also famous for questioning the historical-critical methodology for the way it portrayed the secular view of Jesus. This article brings you a collection of thoughts, viewpoints, words, and opinions about Albert Schweitzer on matters close to his heart. Let’s dive in into some of the most famous saying and quotes about Albert Schweitzer on ethics, kindness, evolution, experience, human life strength, and more.
Albert Schweitzer Quotes
1. “Everything deep is also simple and can be reproduced simply as long as its reference to the whole truth is maintained. But what matters is not what is witty but what is true.”– Albert Schweitzer
2. “Just as the wave cannot exist for itself, but is ever a part of the heaving surface of the ocean, so must I never live my life for itself, but always in the experience which is going on around me.”– Albert Schweitzer
3. “The willow which bends to the tempest, often escapes better than the oak which resists it; and so in great calamities, it sometimes happens that light and frivolous spirits recover their elasticity and presence of mind sooner than those of a loftier character.”– Albert Schweitzer
4. “Day by day we should weigh what we have granted to the spirit of the world against what we have denied to the spirit of Jesus, in thought and especially in deed.”– Albert Schweitzer
5. “Serious illness doesn’t bother me for long because I am too inhospitable a host.”– Albert Schweitzer
6. “We must fight against the spirit of unconscious cruelty with which we treat the animals. Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it. Until we extend our circle of compassion to all living things, humanity will not find peace.”– Albert Schweitzer
7. “Wherever you turn, you can find someone who needs you. Even if it is a little thing, do something for which there is no pay but the privilege of doing it. Remember, you don’t live in a world all of your own.”– Albert Schweitzer
8. “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.”– Albert Schweitzer
9. “No one can give a definition of the soul. But we know what it feels like. The soul is the sense of something higher than ourselves, something that stirs in us thoughts, hopes, and aspirations which go out to the world of goodness, truth and beauty. The soul is a burning desire to breathe in this world of light and never to lose it–to remain children of light.”– Albert Schweitzer
10. “The elemental fact, present in our consciousness every moment of our existence, is: I am life that wills to live, in the midst of life that wills to live…. The essence of the humane spirit is: Preserve life, promote life, help life to achieve its highest destiny. The essence of Evil is: Destroy life, harm life, hamper the development of life.”– Albert Schweitzer
11. “In everyone’s life, at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flame by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit.”– Albert Schweitzer
12. “The greatest discovery of any generation is that human beings can alter their lives by altering the attitudes of their minds.”– Albert Schweitzer
13. “Just as the wave cannot exist for itself, but is ever a part of the heaving surface of the ocean, so must I never live my life for itself, but always in the experience which is going on around me.”– Albert Schweizer
14. “Seek always to do some good, somewhere… Even if it’s a little thing, so something for those that need help, something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it.”– Albert Schweitzer
15. “A man is ethical only when life, as such, is sacred to him, that of plants and animals as that of his fellow men, and when he devotes himself helpfully to all life that is in need of help.”– Albert Schweitzer
16. “When people have light in themselves, it will shine out from them. Then we get to know each other as we walk together in the darkness, without needing to pass our hands over each other’s faces, or to intrude into each other’s hearts.”– Albert Schweitzer
17. “Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.”– Albert Schweitzer
18. “At times our own light goes out and is rekindled by a spark from another person. Each of us has cause to think with deep gratitude of those who have lighted the flame within us”– Albert Schweitzer
19. “Awakening of Western thought will not be complete until that thought steps outside itself and comes to an understanding with the search for a world-view as this manifests itself in the thought of mankind as a whole.”– Albert Schweitzer
20. “Thinking about death… produces love for life. When we are familiar with death, we accept each week, each day, as a gift. Only if we are able thus to accept life bit by bit does it become precious.”– Albert Schweitzer
21. “Once a man recognizes himself as a being surrounded by other beings in this world and begins to respect his life and take it to the highest value, he becomes a thinking being. Then he values other lives and experiences them as part of his own life. With that, his goal is to help everyone take their life to the highest value; anything which limits or destroys a life is evil. That is morality. That is how men are related to the world around them.”– Albert Schweitzer
22. “I can do no other than be reverent before everything that is called life. I can do no other than to have compassion for all that is called life. That is the beginning and the foundation of all ethics.”– Albert Schweitzer
23. “To me, good health is more than just exercise and diet. Its really a point of view and a mental attitude you have about yourself.”– Albert Schweitzer
24. “Man must cease attributing his problems to his environment, and learn again to exercise his will – his personal responsibility in the realm of faith and morals.”– Albert Schweitzer
25. “One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity.”– Albert Schweitzer
26. “I wanted to be a doctor that I might be able to work without having to talk because for years I had been giving myself out in words.”– Albert Schweitzer
27. “To educate yourself for the feeling of gratitude means to take nothing for granted, but to always seek out and value the kindness that stands behind the action. Nothing that is done for you is a matter of course. Everything originates in a will for the good, which is directed at you. Train yourself never to put off the word or action for the expression of gratitude”– Albert Schweitzer
28. “The result of the voyage does not depend on the speed of the ship, but on whether or not it keeps a true course.”– Albert Schweitzer
29. “The thinking (person) must oppose all cruel customs, no matter how deeply rooted in tradition and surrounded by a halo. When we have a choice, we must avoid bringing torment and injury into the life of another.”– Albert Schweitzer
30. “In the past we have tried to make a distinction between animals which we acknowledge have some value and other which, having none, can be liquidated when we wish. This standard must be abandoned. Everything that lives has value simply as a living thing, as one of the manifestations of the mystery that is life.”– Albert Schweitzer
31. “The interior joy we feel when we have done a good deed is the nourishment the soul requires.”– Albert Schweitzer
32. “It’s not enough merely to exist. Every man has to seek in his own way to make his own self more noble and to relize his own true worth.”– Albert Schweitzer
33. “We cannot possibly let ourselves get frozen into regarding everyone we do not know as an absolute stranger.”– Albert Schweitzer
34. “In the hearts of people today there is a deep longing for peace. When the true spirit of peace is thoroughly dominant, it becomes an inner experience with unlimited possibilities. Only when this really happens – when the spirit of peace awakens and takes possession of men’s hearts, can humanity be saved from perishing.”– Albert Schweitzer
35. “Open your eyes and look for some man, or some work for the sake of men, which needs a little time, a little friendship, a little sympathy, a little sociability, a little human toil….It is needed in every nook and corner. Therefore search and see if there is not some place where you may invest your humanity.”– Albert Schweitzer
Albert Schweitzer Video
This is an excellent discussion about Albert Schweitzer’s life. It discusses his accomplishments and also includes some great quotes.
In conclusion, Albert Schweitzer built a strong reputation for challenging different aspects of life that were close to his heart. Being a medical missionary, he influenced many people with his wise sayings that touched our day-to-day activities including religion.
His life mission was to relieve suffering, saving lives, and promoting human dignity, you are assured that his quotes and sayings will motivate you if you feel low and also help you improve your living standards in this modern era.