Benjamin Jeremy Stein is best known as Ben Stein. He is a rare character who is most famous for a movie appearance (more about that below). He was born in November 25, 1944 and has worked as a writer, actor, comedian, lawyer, author of many books, tv show host and also as a TV commentator on political and economic issues.
Ben began his political career as a speechwriter for two Republican U.S. Presidents, Richard Nixon and Gerald Ford. After that he became an entertainer. He is most famous for his brief role as the economics teacher in Ferriss Bueller’s Days Off, and he was also the host of a very funny TV game show appropriately called Win Ben Stein’s Money (see the video below). Ben is a prolific author and has published 16 books including seven novels and nine nonfiction books. Ben’s father, Herbert Stein was a an economist and writer who worked at the White House under President Nixon. So he really served as Ben’s role model. In most recent years, Ben has been a rather controversial figure on TV. When President Obama was in office, he called him “the most racist president there has ever been in America.” So he has created a lot of controversy with some of his comments.
Ben Stein Quotes
- “You must take the first step. The first steps will take some effort, maybe pain. But after that, everything that has to be done is real-life movement.” — Ben Stein
- “You cannot win if you’re not at the table. You have to be where the action is.” — Ben Stein
- “I came to realize that life lived to help others is the only one that matters and that it sis my duty … This is my highest and best use as a human.” ― Ben Stein
- “It’s amazing what ordinary people can do if they set out without preconceived notions.”
— Ben Stein
- “I think, there are many people who are much smarter than I am, and many, many, many who are much harder-working than I am, but in terms of the range of my activities, they’re unique.” — Ben Stein
- “Faith is not believing that God can. It is knowing that God will.”
— Ben Stein
- “I think a snob would be a person who thinks he is entitled; he has good things in his life and is entitled to them.” — Ben Stein
- “Personal relationships are the fertile soil from which all advancement, all success, all achievement in real life grows.” — Ben Stein
- “I feel as if I’m in on a pass and am damn lucky to have whatever I have. It could all be taken away in a second.” — Ben Stein
- “The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want. ”
― Ben Stein
- “Screaming at children over their grades, especially to the point of the child’s tears, is child abuse, pure and simple. It’s not funny and it’s not good parenting. It is a crushing, scarring, disastrous experience for the child. It isn’t the least bit funny.” ― Ben Stein
- “The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this; decide what you want.” ― Ben Stein
- “Nothing happens by itself… it all will come your way, once you understand that you have to make it come your way, by your own exertions.”― Ben Stein
- “The first step to getting the tings you want out of life is this: Decide what you want.” ― Ben Stein
- “The first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: Decide what you want. ” ― Ben Stein
- “Happiness is being grateful for what you have and having an attitude of gratitude instead of an attitude of envy.” ― Ben Stein
- “In sum, capitalism is a thing of beauty. It’s not the same as long ago when heredity and physical strength determined who would have capital. In the past, you had to inherit land or factories to have capital. Women were largely excluded from owning capital; accidents of birth decided everything. This is still true in many parts of the world. That’s all changed now thanks to free market, democratic capitalism. Anyone can be a capitalist—and should be. All it takes is a little bit of knowledge and an even smaller amount of action.”― Ben Stein, The Capitalist Code: It Can Save Your Life and Make You Very Rich
- “The indispensable first step to getting the things you want out of life is this: decide what you want.” — Ben Stein
- “I’ve never liked the idea of just having an office in a college somewhere and teaching classes and going to the library and doing research all day. I’ve never wanted that. The glamorous life is the life that appeals to me.” — Ben Stein
Ben Stein is perhaps most famous for his appearance in Ferriss Bueller’s Day Off. Be sure to see our awesome collection of Ferris Bueller Quotes – they will bring back good memories!
Video: Win Ben Stein’s Money
This game show is from 1998. It was quite a hoot. He played up his cranky factor and turned it into a game show. Very funny questions and always snappy dialogue. This scene is from the second season of the show
Check it out!
Related: Milton Friedman Quotes
Ben Stein is a legend. He earned his J.D. after attending law school and that is something that is extremely rare for an attorney to have. And he also became involved in politics and has worked with a number of presidents.
And finally, what kind of funny post would this be if we did not include the famous scene with Ben Stein saying “Bueller….Bueller…”
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.