As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
John Davison Rockefeller wassone of the wealthiest individuals in the history of the world. He was an oil business tycoon as well as a philanthropist. John Davison Rockefeller’s breakthrough appeared when he focused on refilling – instead of drilling – the oil fields.
When the consumption of gasoline and kerosene rose, Rockefeller’s wealth rose substantially. Together with his contemporary- Andrew Carnegie, he transformed the automobile power, railway, and petroleum industries. Rockefeller believed success came from adaptation to change.
Even with the foundation of Standard Oil company, Davison established the Rockefeller University, University of Chicago as well as General Education Board. Being a Philanthropist, he funded the Central Philippine University and his charity institution- the Rockefeller Foundation. This charity institution objectives supported children from impoverished backgrounds with vaccinations, proper education and other life improvements.
Below is a collection of John D. Rockefeller quotes from his writings, observations, interviews, speeches and life that will give you inspiration to be the best you can be in life, and in business and ultimately to make the world a better place.
John D. Rockefeller Quotes
1. “And we are never too old To study the Bible. Each time the lessons are studied comes some new meaning, some new thought which will make us better.”– John D. Rockefeller
2. “We can never learn too much of His will towards us, too much of His messages and His advice. The Bible is His word and its study gives at once the foundation for our faith and an inspiration To battle onward in the fight against the tempter.”– John D. Rockefeller
3. “I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living But that it owes every man an opportunity To make a living.”– John D. Rockefeller
4. “I do not think there is any other quality so essential To success of any kind as the quality of perseverance. It overcomes almost everything, even nature.”– John D. Rockefeller
5. “[But longtime friend and competitor Robert Johnson, who founded BET, says,] To me, his achievements would rival those of any business person in America, … He had charisma, tenacity and passion To convince people that there was such a thing as a black consumer market.”– John D. Rockefeller
6. “I know of nothing more despicable and pathetic than a man who devotes all the hours of the waking day To the making of money for money’s sake.”– John D. Rockefeller
7. “I believe in the supreme worth of the individual and in his right To life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”– John D. Rockefeller
8. “The person who starts out simply with the idea of getting rich won’t succeed; you must have a larger ambition. There is no mystery in business success. If you do each day’s task successfully, and stay faithfully within these natural operations of commercial laws which I talk so much about, and keep your head clear, you will come out all right.”– John D. Rockefeller
9. “Do not many of us who fail To achieve big things … fail because we lack concentration — the art of concentrating the mind on the thing To be done at the proper time and To the exclusion of everything else?”– John D. Rockefeller
10. “The ability To deal with people is as purchasable a commodity as sugar or coffee and I will pay more for that ability than for any other under the sun.”– John D. Rockefeller
11. “The impression was gaining ground with me that it was a good thing To let the money be my slave and not make myself a slave To money.”– John D. Rockefeller
12. ” The only thing which is of lasting benefit To a man is that which He does for himself. Money which comes To him without effort on his part is seldom a benefit and often a curse.”– John D. Rockefeller
13. “Next To doing the right thing, the most important thing is To let people know you are doing the right thing.”– John D. Rockefeller
14. “The road To happiness lies in two simple principles; find what it is that interests you and that you can do well, and when you find it put your whole soul into it every bit of energy and ambition and natural ability you have.”– John D. Rockefeller
15. “Singleness of purpose is one of the chief essentials for success in life, no matter what may be one’s aim.”– John D. Rockefeller
16. “There is nothing in this world that can compare with the Christian fellowship; nothing that can satisfy But Christ.”– John D. Rockefeller
17. “I was early taught To work as well as play, My life has been one long, happy holiday; Full of work and full of play- I dropped the worry on the way- And God was good To me every day.”– John D. Rockefeller
18. “God gave me my money. I believe the power To make money is a gift from God . To be developed and used To the best of our ability for the good of mankind. Having been endowed with the gift I possess, I believe it is my duty To make money and still more money and To use the money I make for the good of my fellow man according To the dictates of my conscience.”– John D. Rockefeller
19. “What the world craves today is a more spiritual and less formal religion. To the man or woman facing death, great conflict, the big problems of human life, the forms of religion are of minor concern, while the spirit of religion is a desperately needed source of inspiration, comfort and strength.”– John D. Rockefeller
20. “We are coming To see that there should be no stifling of labor by capital, or of capital by labor; and also that there should be no stifling of labor by labor, or of capital by capital.”– John D. Rockefeller
21. “Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation, Every possession, a duty.”– John D. Rockefeller
22. “Good management consists in showing average people how To do the work of superior people.”– John D. Rockefeller
23. “We are never too old To study the bible. Each time the lessons are studied comes some new meaning, some new thought which will make us better.”– John D. Rockefeller
24. “I believe in the sacredness of a promise, that a man’s word should be as good as his bond; that character — not wealth or power or position — is of supreme worth.”– John D. Rockefeller
25. “I would rather hire a man with enthusiasm, than a man who knows everything.”– John D. Rockefeller
26. “It is one thing To stand on the comfortable ground of placid inaction and put forth words of cynical wisdom, and another To plunge into the work itself and through strenuous experience earn the right To express strong conclusions.”– John D. Rockefeller
27. “Giving should be entered into in just the same way as investing. Giving is investing.”– John D. Rockefeller
28. “I can think of nothing less pleasurable than a life devoted To pleasure.”– John D. Rockefeller
29. “Charity is injurious unless it helps the recipient To become independent of it.”– John D. Rockefeller
30. “The American Beauty Rose can be produced in the splendor and fragrance which bring cheer To its beholder only by sacrificing the early buds which grow up around it. This is not an evil tendency in business. It is merely the working-out of a law of nature and a law of God.”– John D. Rockefeller
31. “Good leadership consists of showing average people how To do work of superior people.”– John D. Rockefeller
32. “Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you’ll be able To see farther.”– John D. Rockefeller
33. “If you want To succeed you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success.”– John D. Rockefeller
34. “I would rather earn 1% off a 100 people’s efforts than 100% of my own efforts.”– John D. Rockefeller
35. “Do you know the only thing that gives me pleasure? It’s To see my dividends coming in.”– John D. Rockefeller
36. “A friendship founded on business is better than a business founded on friendship.”– John D. Rockefeller
37. “The poorest man I know is the man who has nothing But money.”– John D. Rockefeller
38. “Oh, how blessed young men are who have To struggle for a foundation and beginning in life.”– John D. Rockefeller
39. “I believe it is a religious duty To get all the money you can, fairly and honestly; To keep all you can, and To give away all you can.”– John D. Rockefeller
40. “A man has no right To occupy another man’s time unnecessarily.”– John D. Rockefeller
41. “Every right implies a responsibility; Every opportunity, an obligation, Every possession, a duty.”– John D. Rockefeller
42. “Don’t be afraid To give up the good To go for the great.”– John D. Rockefeller
43. “The most important thing for a young man is To establish a credit… a reputation, character.”– John D. Rockefeller
44. “I can think of nothing less pleasurable than a life devoted To pleasure.”– John D. Rockefeller
45. “I believe that thrift is essential To well-ordered living.”– John D. Rockefeller
John D Rockefeller Video – How Rockefeller Built His Trillion Dollar Oil Empire
This is a great short video that is educational. You will learn about how Rockefeller built his legacy and the empire he left behind.
In conclusion, John D. Rockefeller was an inspirational figure and a philanthropist who believed-in equality among individuals. He was a great and successful businessman and shared his business tips to improve ones life and become successful.
From his quotes, you will learn great virtues such as selflessness and helping the less fortunate. We hope these quotes inspire you toward success in business and life.