As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
The famous US actor known as John Wayne was actual born as Marion Michael Morrison in May 26, 1907. He was an American actor who also worked as a movie director and producer. He Also received the presidential medal of freedom.
He was most well known for his roles in Western movies where he often played the role of a cowboy or sheriff and was one of the most popular actors for many decades for these Western Movies.
From Rio Bravo to Big Jake, John Wayne was a legendary actor unlike any other. Often times referred to as “The Duke”, Wayne spoke out about the importance of manhood and living one’s life with integrity and honor.
This acclaimed actor focused on being an upstanding citizen with good moral values that each human should include in his/her daily life.
After a long battle with stomach cancer, John Wayne died on June 11, 1979.
John Wayne Quotes
The 50 John Wayne Quotes listed for you below will provide better insight into his personal philosophies and way of thinking. They’ll give you a sneak peek into his theatrics, as well as his thoughts on everyday life.
1. “Every man deserves a second chance, but keep an eye on him.” — John Wayne
2. “Life is getting up one more time than you have been knocked down.” — John Wayne
3. “Tomorrow is perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we’ve learned something from yesterday.” — John Wayne
4. “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. It comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect upon arrival and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we have learned our lessons from yesterday.” — John Wayne
5. “I suppose one of my best attributes if you want to call it that, is sincerity. I can sell sincerity because that is the way I am.” — John Wayne
6. “I define manhood simply: men should be tough, fair, and courageous, never petty, never looking for a fight, but never backing down from one either.” — John Wayne
7. “I won’t be wronged. I won’t be insulted. I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people and I require the same from them.” — John Wayne
8. “I’m not the sort to back away from a fight. I don’t believe in shrinking from anything. It’s not my speed; I’m a guy who meets adversities head on.” — John Wayne
9. “What’s the secret of success? Right decisions. How do you make right decisions? Experience. How do you get experience? Wrong decisions.” — John Wayne
10. “I’ve always followed my father’s advice: he told me, first to always keep my word and second, to never insult anybody unintentionally. If I insult you, you can be goshdarn sure I intend to.” — John Wayne
11. “I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.” — John Wayne
12. “All battles are fought by scared men who’d rather be some place else.” — John Wayne
13. “Real art’s basic emotion. If a scene is handled with simplicity—and I do not mean simple—it’ll be good, and the public will know it.” — John Wayne
14. “Do not pick a fight, but if you find yourself in one, I suggest you first make darn sure you win.” — John Wayne
15. “A man has got to have a code, and a creed to live by.” — John Wayne
16. “A goal, a love, and a dream give you total control over your body and your life.” — John Wayne
17. “When the road looks rough ahead, remember the “Man Upstairs” and the word H-O-P-E. Hang onto both and Tough it out.” — John Wayne
18. “When you come against trouble, it’s never half as bad if you face up to it.” — John Wayne
19. “Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.” — John Wayne
20. “You can take everything a man has as long as you leave him his dignity.” — John Wayne
21. “I would like to know why the well-educated morons keep apologizing for lazing and complaining folks who think the world owes them a living.” — John Wayne
22. “There’s right and there’s wrong. Y’gotta do one or the other, do the other and you may be walking around, but you’re dead as a beaver hat.” — John Wayne
23. “A man ought to do what he thinks is right.” — John Wayne
24. “If everything isn’t black and white, I say, ‘Why the heck not?” — John Wayne
25. “A man who won’t stand for what he believes isn’t a man!” — John Wayne
26. “Well, there are some things a man just can’t run away from.” — John Wayne
27. “Everybody that I was in school with had an uncle or father in the law, and I started to realize that I was going to end up writing briefs for about ten years for these fellows who I thought I was smarter than. And I was kind of losing my feeling for that.” — John Wayne
28. “Hurry it up. We’re burning daylight!” — John Wayne
29. “I would like to be remembered, well… the Mexicans have a phrase, ‘Feo Fuerte y formal’, which means he was ugly, strong and had dignity.” — John Wayne
30. “The worst part of it’s been, I think, the adverse effect on family life. It kills off family conversation. And is harder to get your children to read books. I became a confirmed reader while I was growing up in Glendale. I’ve loved reading all my life. Now I’ve got this daughter, Aissa, a very bright young lady — but it is a hard job to get her to read. Television’s just too easy.” — John Wayne
31. “When you come to see a picture of mine, I want you to know that I’m not going to do anything that will make you uncomfortable. I want you to know that you won’t be disappointed.” — John Wayne
32. “When you stop fighting, that’s death.” — John Wayne
33. “Talk low, talk slow and don’t say too much.” — John Wayne
34. “Nothing is so discouraging to an actor than to have to work for long hours upon long hours in brightly lighted interior settings.” — John Wayne
35. “The worst part of it has been, I think, the adverse effect on family life. It kills off the family conversation and it’s harder to get your children to read the book. I became a confirmed reader when I was growing up in Glendale. I’ve loved reading all my life. Now I’ve got this daughter, Aissa, a very bright young lady, but it is a hard job to get her to read, television’s just too easy.” — John Wayne
36. “If you’ve got them by the gonads their hearts and minds will follow.” — John Wayne
37. “I was sure I’d set the world on fire, and it was hard for a young feller like me to realize the truth – that I hadn’t set the world on fire, and I was totally unprepared to handle the consequences if ‘The Big Trail’ had been a success and launched me as a star.” — John Wayne
38. “Life is hard; and it’s even harder if you’re stupid.” — John Wayne
39. “Sure, I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave at? Sure, I love my country with all her faults. I’m not ashamed of that, never have been, and never will be.” — John Wayne
40. “All I’m for is the liberty of the individual.” — John Wayne
41. “My folks always let me go to the movies every Saturday. We were really motion-picture goers.” — John Wayne
42. “In westerns, you meet a hardy bunch of characters. There is no jealousy on such pictures.” — John Wayne
43. “Now you understand, anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobody’s fault, it doesn’t matter, I’m gonna blow your head off. It’s simple as that.” — John Wayne
44. “I’ve read up on the history of our country and I would become fascinated with the story of the Alamo. To me it represented the fight for freedom, not just in America, but in all countries.” — John Wayne
45. “A horse is a horse, it ain’t make a difference what color it is.” — John Wayne
47. “Young fella, if you’re looking for trouble, I’ll accommodate ya.” — John Wayne
48. “I never have really become accustomed to the name ‘John.’ No One ever really refers to me as John… I’ve always been Duke or Marion or John Wayne. It is a name that goes rather well together, and is like one word.” — John Wayne
49. “True grit is making a decision and standing by it, doing what must be done.” — John Wayne
50. “Nobody should come to the movies unless he believes in heroes.” — John Wayne
Related: Cowboy Quotes
Life’s unpredictable; and can take us by surprise sometimes! Both, men and women alike come across bumps in the literal road; yet with perseverance, can overcome anything.
John Wayne is a true inspiration to all; and has a set of standards which will helped him throughout life. If you, or a loved one come across that bump in the road; reflect upon the above 50 John Wayne Quotes!
Related: Levi’s Jeans Quotes
John Wayne Video
This short clip is simply fantastic! Really great illustration of John Wayne’s screen presence and “swagger.” This must watch clip shows his entrance in five separate films!
Image Credit: WikiMedia commons