We each have our own unique identity that makes us who we are today! Yet, often get caught up in daily life and miss out on our true potential. It is easy to get distracted by unforeseen obstacles but you are the one in control of things. That’s why we composed our list of 40 Inspiring Quotes About Minding Your Identity!
Enter into your inner self with an open heart while going through each one of the above quotes. Let the words speak to something deep inside and take note, those which vibe on a higher level. May they help you to blossom and grow, on your path to finding your true identity. Only then, and then, will you ever find real peace and happiness.
Quotes about Identity
1. “Nothing of me is original. I am The combined effort of everyone I’ve ever known.” — Chuck Palahniuk
2. “Without dignity, identity is erased.” — Laura Hillenbrand
3. “It’s like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All The time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.” — Patrick Rothfuss
4. “I am no bird; and no net ensnares me: I am a free human being with an independent will.” — Charlotte Brontë
5. “I’ve only been half myself lately, and I thought coming here would let me work this part out of me so I could be me again.” — Shannon Hale
6. “The reward for conformity is that everybody likes you except yourself.” — Rita Mae Brown
7. “Never forget what you are, for surely The world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you.” — George R.R. Martin
8. “One of The biggest surprises in this research was learning that fitting in and belonging are not The same thing. In fact, fitting in is one of the greatest barriers to belonging. Fitting in is about assessing a situation and becoming who you need to be in order to be accepted. Belonging, on The other hand, doesn’t require us to change who we are; it requires us to be who we are.” — Brene` Brown
9. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Dr. Seuss
10. “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else’s opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.” — Oscar Wilde
11. “If you base your identity on having friends, being accepted, and being popular, you may find yourself compromising your standards or changing them every weekend to accommodate your friends.” — Sean Covey
12. “It is better to be hated for what you are than loved for what you are not.” — Andre Guide
13. “Thomas rocked back on his heels, then ran his arm across his forehead, wiping away The sweat. And at that moment, in The space of only a few seconds, he learned a lot about himself. About The Thomas that was before. He couldn’t leave a friend to die” — James Dashner
14. “It’s like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All The time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.” — Patrick Rothfuss
15. “We have come to realize in modern times that The ‘melting pot’ need not mean The end of particular ethnic identities or traditions.” — John F. Kennedy
16. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. life is about creating yourself.” — George Bernard Shaw
17. “We know what we are, but not what we may be.” — William Shakespeare
18. “I don’t want to be ugly all my life. I want those perfect eyes and lips, and for everyone to look at me and gasp. And for everyone who sees me think, ‘Who’s that?’ and want to get to know me, and listen to what I say.” — Scott Westerfeld
19. “Folks can change their ways much As they want to. But I don’t care how many times you change your ways, what’s in you is in you, and it’s got to come out.” — James Baldwin
20. “Perhaps it’s impossible to wear an identity without becoming what you pretend to be.” — Orson Scott Card
21. Living on borders and in margins, keeping intact one’s shifting and multiple identity and integrity, is like trying to swim in a new element, an “alien” element.” — Gloria E. Anzaldúa
22. “Own your identity. Love who you are in The world. Love your deafness.” — Nyle DiMarco
23. “When I discover who I am, I’ll be free.” — Ralph Ellison
24. I can’t change where I come from or what I’ve been through, so why should I be ashamed of what makes me, me?” — Angie Thomas
25. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” — Oscar Wilde
26. “We can spend our lives letting The world tell us who we are. Sane or insane. Saints or sex addicts. Heroes or victims. Letting history tell us how good or bad we are. Letting our past decide our future. Or we can decide for ourselves. And maybe it’s our job to invent something better.” — Chuck Palahniuk
27. “‘This is where you can find your soul if you dare. Where you can touch that part of you that you’ve never dared look at before.’” — Laurie Halse Anderson
Related: Quotes About Being Weird!
28. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
29. “We leave something of ourselves behind When we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there.” — Pascal Mercier
30. “The most common ego identifications have to do with possessions, The work you do, social status and recognition, knowledge and education, physical appearance, special abilities, relationships, personal and family history, belief systems, and often also political, nationalistic, racial, religious, and other collective identifications. None of these is you.” — Eckhart Tolle
31. “If you really have your own identity you’ll keep on doing what you think is really right for you, and you’ll also understand The next step you want to take.” — Helmut Lang
32. “Over the years, I have come to realize that the greatest trap in our life is not success, popularity, or power, but self-rejection. success, popularity, and power can indeed present a great temptation, but their seductive quality often comes from The way they are part of The much larger temptation to self-rejection. When we have come to believe in the voices that call us worthless and unlovable, then success, popularity, and power are easily perceived as attractive solutions. The real trap, however, is self-rejection. As soon As someone accuses me or criticizes me, As soon as I am rejected, left alone, or abandoned, I find myself thinking, “Well, that proves once again that I am a nobody.” … (My dark side says,) I am no good… I deserve to be pushed aside, forgotten, rejected, and abandoned. Self-rejection is the greatest enemy of The spiritual life because it contradicts The sacred voice that calls us The “Beloved.” Being The Beloved constitutes The core truth of our existence.” — Henri J.M. Nouwen
33. “I know what I want, I have a goal, an opinion, I have a religion and love. Let me be myself and then I am satisfied. I know that I’m a woman, a woman with inward strength and plenty of courage.” — Anne Frank
34. “Discovering my own identity doesn’t mean that I work it out in isolation but that I negotiate it through dialogue, partly overt, partly internal, with others.” — Charles Taylor
35. “I belong to The people I love, and they belong to me–they, and The love and loyalty I give them, form my identity far more than any word or group ever could.” — Veronica Roth
36. “Where you are is who you are. The inside further inside you The place moves, The more your identity is intertwined with it. Never casual, The choice of place is The choice of something you crave.” — Frances Mayes
37. “Identity was partly heritage, partly upbringing, but mostly The choices you make in life.” — Patricia Briggs
38. “Names are powerful things. They act As an identity marker and a kind of map, locating you in time and geography. More than that, they can be a compass.” — Nicola Yoon
39. “The only true happiness lies in knowing who you are … and making peace with it.” — Laurell K. Hamilton
40. “It’s like everyone tells a story about themselves inside their own head. Always. All The time. That story makes you what you are. We build ourselves out of that story.” — Patrick Rothfuss
Related: Quotes to help social isolation
We hope The above quotes about identity assist in your quest to find your inner self. One that puts you on The right path toward self-discovery and a happier more fulfilled life.
After we open ourselves up and begin looking on the inside, our exterior world changes for the better. So, go ahead and reflect on The messages reflected in these quotes, and they will help you understand and reveal your own true identity.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.