Whether you are in a romantic relationship or have a deep and meaningful connection with a friend, it hurts deeply when someone breaks your trust. Developing feelings for someone is easy but developing and fostering trust with someone is a challenging and conscious decision. Therefore, it troubles you much more when someone breaks your trust by betraying you or not valuing your secrets as they should have.
Breaching trust isn’t just common in romantic relationships but is very common in friendships as well. Friends who are nice to your face but talk behind your back are the worst kind of people. It is a betrayal of your trust as they share your insecurities with others and do not care for your feelings at all.
Once someone breaks your trust, there remains little to no chance of ever rebuilding it. It is entirely up to the person to decide whether they want to trust the individual again or move on with their life with a new chapter. If you have ever had your trust broken by a person who betrayed it, you will be able to relate greatly to the following broken trust quotes.
Here Are Some of the Most Poignant Broken Trust Quotes
1. “Broken trust forces us, first, to acknowledge a painful reality we may have chosen to ignore, then, to make some difficult decisions.” – Dr. Jane Greer
2. “What’s burned is burned, but what’s broken can heal. And broken trust in a relationship is not like a house on fire.” – Mira Kirshenbaum
3. “Trust can be broken in many different ways.” – Cindy Beall
4. “When trust is broken, it does not need to be the end of a relationship. Much can be learned from staying in a relationship and learning from the conflict situation.” – Dr. Margaret Paul
5. “It breaks my heart to know I will never be able to trust you again. I’ve learned so many lies, and each time it takes a piece of me that you will never get back again.” – Karen Kostyla
6. “Trust, once you get it. It’s priceless. But once you lose it, you are useless.” – Unknown
7. “Trust is the highest form of human motivation. It brings out the very best in people. But it takes time and patience.” – Stephen R. Covey
8. “Trust him not with your secrets, who, when left alone in your room, turns over your papers.” – Johann Kaspar Lavater
9. “Trust is like a vase. Once it’s broken, though you can fix it, the vase will never be the same again.” – Walter Inglis Anderson
10. “I believe everything happens for a reason. People change, so you can learn to let go. Things go wrong, so you can appreciate them when they’re right. You believe lies, so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself.” – Marilyn Monroe
11. “You may be deceived if you trust too much, but you will live in torment if you don’t trust enough.” – Frank Crane
12. “Do not trust all men, but trust men of worth; the former course is silly, the latter a mark of prudence.” – Democritus
13. “Trust is like a paper. Once it’s crumpled, it can’t be perfect again.” – Unknown
14. “If offering apologies and making promises fixed broken trust, there’d be no broken trust left to fix.” – Tim Cole
15. “Don’t ever break someone’s trust. Once you do, then nobody wants to do business with you.” – Robert Budi Hartono
16. “Trust is tough. Once trust has been broken by multiple people on multiple occasions, believing in anyone or anything becomes increasingly difficult. Much of the skepticism of our world can be traced back to broken trust.” – Dillon Burroughs
17. “The total act of betrayal is broken trust.” – Notes from Nora
18. “One of these reasons is that the person who’s broken your trust is very possibly not as bad as he seems to be right now.” – Mira Kirshenbaum
19. “The healing of broken trust is a natural process. Trust itself is natural.” – Mira Kirshenbaum
20. “When your trust is someone is broken, you will inevitably experience shock, denial, anger, and sadness, feelings that are, in many ways, akin to the mourning process following a death.” – Dr. Jane Greer
21. “For there to be betrayal, there would have to have been trust first.” – Suzanne Collins
22. “To forgive someone who hurt you is easy but to trust them again is next to impossible.” – Anurag Prakash Ray
23. “What do people gain from lying? Besides losing: your respect, your dignity, your reputation, and those who love you. I guess those few minutes of satisfaction, smiling behind your lies, are soon well worth a lifetime of a regretful guilty conscience.” – Amir Riveroll
24. “The toughest thing about the power of trust is that it’s very difficult to build and very easy to destroy. The essence of trust building is to emphasize the similarities between you and the customer.” – Thomas J. Watson
25. “The chief lesson I have learned in a long life is that the only way you can make a man trustworthy is to trust him, and the surest way to make him untrustworthy is to distrust him.” – Henry L. Stimson
26. “Not everyone can be trusted. I think we all have to be very selective about the people we trust.” – Shelley Long
27. “I’m not upset that you lied to me; I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
28. “It is better to suffer wrong than to do it, and happier to be sometimes cheated than not to trust.” – Samuel Johnson
29. “The trust has broken down. It will take some time to change attitudes, and attitudes are going to be needed to develop trust.” – Jim Leach
30. “We’re never so vulnerable than when we trust someone – but paradoxically, if we cannot trust, neither can we find love or joy.” – Walter Anderson
31. “I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken, and I’d rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken pieces as long as I lived.” – Margaret Mitchell
32. “Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.” – Albert Einstein
33. “Trust is built when someone is vulnerable and not taken advantage of.” – Bob Vanourek
34. “After all, damn it, what does being in love mean if you can’t trust a person.” – Evelyn Waugh
35. “Trust is the glue of life. It’s the most essential ingredient in effective communication. It’s the foundational principle that holds all relationships.” – Stephen R. Covey
36. “Never trust someone who lies to you. Never lie to someone who trusts you.” – Mandy
37. “The worst part about being lied to is knowing that you weren’t worth the truth.” – Mishaela
38. “It takes two people to make a lie work: the person who tells it, and the one who believes it.” – Jodi Picoult
39. “The best proof of love is trust.” – Joyce Brothers
40. “’I love you’ is far different from ‘I trust you’.” – Shelaxai
41. “Never trust a man who speaks well of everybody.” – John Churton Collins
42. “Rebuilding trust when it’s been broken is not dependent only on the person who has broken it or how many times they can prove they are honest. It depends on the person who has decided not to trust anymore. Though they may be totally justified in their decision not to trust, as long as they choose not to, the relationship has no hope of survival and should be ended. If or when they decide to trust again, there is hope reborn.” – Doe Zantamata
43. “It’s the same old story you’ve heard a thousand times. Somebody’s trust gets broken. Somebody’s left behind.” – Travis Tritt
44. “Trust is like that. You can break it for a good reason. But it still remains broken.” – Harlan Coben
A Story of Broken Trust – Inspirational Story to Motivate You
Watch this motivating story of broken trust between two friends called Gwen and July.
When a dear girlfriend, boyfriend, or even your closest best friend breaks your trust, recovering from the blow may be altogether difficult. However, you should know that neither your worth nor how you are as a person does not change because of that.
Some people begin to stop trusting others once someone breaks their trust. Although it may be hard to ever trust a person again, you must learn to do it for the sake of nurturing happiness and love in your life.
Nevertheless, you should be wary of who and how you trust others in the future and be cautious with whoever you trust with your closest secrets and insecurities.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.