As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Humans are the only beings on the planet with white eyes. This extraordinary feature of our bodies makes it possible for us to easily make eye contact because our pupils are quite visible. Eye contact is coded into our DNA and has been a traditional tool for understanding since the earliest humans. In the beginning, eye contact was both intuitive and critical for survival.
Eye contact is a tool that helps us understand if another person is telling the truth. In addition, eye contact makes our words more memorable and helps create and maintain good relationships. Babies tend to look for their parent’s eyes, and children rely on eye contact to receive affection and information from their parents. People in love make eye contact, and the technique is widely taught in business.
The following 40 quotes remind us how beautiful and helpful it is to make eye contact with those around us.
Eye Contact Quotes
- “Eye contact: how souls catch fire.” Yahia Lababidi
- “There is a saying, ‘Eyes are the windows to the soul.’ It means, mostly, people can see through someone else by eye contact in seven seconds. I have a habit that if I meet someone I don’t know, I’d like to look at her or his eyes on purpose. When my eyes lay on them, I can immediately see their true color.” Peng Liyuan
- “Two types of people who can’t look at you in the eyes: someone trying to hide a lie, and someone trying to hide a love.” Unknown
- “Writing is something you do alone. It’s a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don’t want to make eye contact while doing it.” John Green
- “Eye contact is way more intimate than words will ever be.” Faraaz Kazi
- “Making eye contact with adults while dressed as a clown is risky.” Douglas Coupland
- “Sometimes you have to disconnect to stay connected. Remember the old days when you had eye contact during a conversation? When everyone wasn’t looking down at a device in their hands? We’ve become so focused on that tiny screen that we forget the big picture, the people right in front of us.” Regina Brett
- “Accidental eye contact can either be really cute, awkward, or creepy.” Unknown
- “Don’t avoid eye contact and don’t be late.” Jack Dorsey
- “Crowds are the most difficult thing for me these days because I have to walk with my head down and my eyes averted. There’s still that part of me that wants to hold my head up, make eye contact and smile.” Cameron Diaz
- “Confidence is everything, and the way you carry yourself, your posture, eye contact, all of that is such a big role in impressions, regardless of your size.” Camille Kostek
- “We’re just looking and looking at each other. And I can feel something new between us, something even more intimate than anything we’ve done. Eye to eye. It’s the most powerful connection in the world.” Sophie Kinsella
- “Having eye contact for more than six seconds without looking away without blinking reveals a desire for either sex or murder.” Unknown
- “Confidence is not posting endless selfies, or repeatedly protesting how happy or in love we are, it’s a subtle yet noticeable sheen that emanates from our being – our eyes, our words, our body language.” Sam Owen
- “There are moments of opportunity for families; moments they need to put technology away. These include: no phones or texting during meals. No phones or texting when parents pick up children at school – a child is looking to make eye contact with a parent!” Sherry Turkle
- “Some people are so self-conscious that they are unable to make eye contact for longer than a second, even when they are wearing dark sunglasses.” Mokokoma Mokhonoana
- “Eye contact is a method utilized by a single woman to communicate to a man that she is interested in him. Many women find it difficult to look a man directly in the eyes, not because of shyness, but because a woman’s eyes are not located in her chest.” Rita Rudner
- “The eyes are so telling. That’s how you engage with people and bond with them. I love direct, strong eye contact.” Huda Kattan
- “The majority of teenagers don’t even make eye contact with people, even people of the same age.” Saoirse Ronan
- “Handwritten letters, direct eye contact, stolen smiles and the art of listening to your heart was the original social media…” Nitya Prakash
- “I break eye contact, then realize you must never break eye contact with the school counselor, or she’ll find something deeply psychological in your downward glance. I force eye contact again.” Neal Shusterman
- “Not every President is a great speaker. Not every President is a great thinker. But in the modern era, every single President is a master of one thing: eye contact.” Brad Meltzer
- “Laughter is more than just a pleasurable activity…When people laugh together, they tend to talk and touch more and to make eye contact more frequently.” Gretchen Rubin
- “If you see a gaggle of teenagers walking towards you, you tend not to make eye contact, because you know they’re going to recognize you. You learn to adapt: 99.999 percent of people aren’t looking to be harmful or unpleasant; they just want something, a photograph or an autograph.” Robert Sheehan
- “Never make eye contact with anyone while eating a banana.” Harry Styles
- “True love is talking through eye contact.” Unknown
- “When I make eye contact with our fans while playing a gig, I seem to have the most energy.” Nayeon
- “Success is how you collect your minutes. You spend millions of minutes to reach one triumph, one moment, then you spend maybe a thousand minutes enjoying it. If you were unhappy through those millions of minutes, what good is the thousand minutes of triumph? It doesn’t equate… Life is made of small pleasures. Good eye contact over the breakfast table with your wife. A moment of touching a friend. Happiness is made of those tiny successes. The big ones come too infrequently. If you don’t have all those zillions of tiny successes, the big ones don’t mean anything.” Norman Lear
- “I can’t remember a major league game where I could make eye contact with my dad. I kept wondering if he was going to yell at me for hanging a pitch or something.” David Cone
- “My parents are worried about me, so they take me to a lady, so I can talk about my dragon. She says she knows about dragons like mine. I am hoping for a magic spell or a dragon slayer, with sword in hand. No such luck; just a tiny woman dressed in a short skirt with a lot of pleats and a fancy top with tons of sparkles.
[…] She looks me in the eye and for some reason I don’t feel like I have to look away.” Jan Esh & Stephen Nauta
- “The eyes are the most powerful social signalers that we have and hence are sometimes called ‘the windows of the soul’ One of the key elements of what is called ‘social skills training’ is getting just the right amount of eye contact. Too little and we come across as shy and awkward; too much and we seem rude.” Glen Wilson
- “Brent never trusted anyone who couldn’t look him in the eye. It was a sign of dishonesty.” Kenneth Eade
- “When you’re on set all day, and you don’t look people in the eye, it’s really relaxing. Normally when you talk to someone, a lot of the conversation is in the body language and in the eye contact and stuff. And if you don’t do that, if you just listen to the words, it’s quite relaxing, because there’s just one thing to focus on.” Ryan Cartwright
- “When I’ve ridden in parades, I always throw to the kids, the elderly and anyone who is smiling and having a great time. I try to make eye contact with the person. If you catch a ton and a kid nearby hasn’t caught much, share.” Bryan Batt
- “I feel like when you have an unauthorized police badge and something that looks like it could be a concealed weapon in the small of your back that when you, someone crosses you, pisses you off, road rage, I think just the slight badge and the little moving away of the jacket and not losing eye contact does amazing things.” Sandra Bullock
- “We learn life’s deepest mysteries through eye contact.” Omarian Atman
- “It’s hard to hold a conversation with people when you’re not seeing them.” Dale Ludwig and Greg Owen-Boger
- “We look at each other with shy relief. It’s the look two odd socks give when they recognize each other in the wild.” Fiona Wood
- “In order to make progress, there is only nature, and the eye is turned through contact with her.” Paul Cezanne
- “I have choices,” I insisted, refusing to break eye contact. “We both do. I may have to make mine carefully, and make a few compromises along the way, but I have a choice. I choose you.” Rachel Vincent
Making eye contact is a wonderful tool for human understanding. In the technologically developed world, we sometimes forget both the beauty and utility of eye contact.
Feel free to use these quotes as reminders of the importance of making eye contact with those around you. Your relationships at work and at home will change when you make consistent eye contact.