Mary Poppins is a much loved classic movie that is essential viewing for every family. Children and parents alike love the movie. And who doesn’t wish they had Mary Poppins as their babysitter while growing up?
The life portrayed in the movie is so much fun and brings back the joys of a lighter era. Julie Andrews, as Mary Poppins, is an angelic baby sitter who can lighten the mood and sing amazing and fun songs.
Mary Poppins is full of beautiful lessons about life, friendship, family, and love.
Mary Poppins Quotes
1. “Everything is possible, even the impossible.” – Mary Poppins
This is perhaps the most memorable and inspiring quote from the movie. It sums up Mary Poppin’s inspiring mindset. She is telling us that we can believe in miracles. And who doesn’t find that inspirational!
2. “Nothing. Such a useful word, isn’t it? It can mean anything and everything.” – Mary Poppins
This is another truism from Mary – how can you argue with this? Nothing is a word that can be empty or full of meaning. It’s another good example of how she can say things that seem simple for the children watching the movie, but the adults also watch might discover a deeper meaning.
3. “We’re on the brink of adventure, children. Don’t spoil it with questions.” – Mary Poppins
Mary Poppins is polite and firm in telling the children to just basically enjoy the adventure and not over think things in this quote.
4. “Head up and feet beneath you.” – Mary Poppins
In this scene, Mary is actually speaking directly to the youngest Banks child, Georgie. She means it literally, but she is also telling us not to stumble over our own feet by over thinking things. When you need to feel more focused or grounded, just remember this quote!
5. “A cover is not the book. So open it up and take a look.” – Mary Poppins
6. “After all, you can’t lose what you never lost.” – Mary Poppins
7. “Let the past take a bow. The forever is now.” – Mary Poppins
8. “Nothing is gone forever, only out of place.” – Mary Poppins
9. “Nothing. Such a useful word, isn’t it? It can mean anything and everything.”
10. “The man said, ‘I’d like to replace your cat.’ And the lady said, ‘That’s all right with me, but how are you with catching mice?’” – Mary Poppins
11. “There’s a different point of view awaiting you if you just look up.” – Mary Poppins
12.“There’s nowhere to go, but up.” – Mary Poppins
13. “There’s the whole world at your feet. And who gets to see it but the birds, the stars, and the chimney sweeps.” – Mary Poppins
14. “Today or never. That’s my motto.” – Mary Poppin
15. “Why complicate things that are really quite simple?” – Mary Poppins
16. “Winds in the east, mist coming in. Like somethin’ is brewin’ and about to begin. Can’t put my finger on what lies in store, but I fear what’s to happen all happened before.” – Mary Poppins
17. “A cover is not the book. So, open it up and take a look.” – Mary Poppins
18. “After all, you can’t lose what you never lost.” – Mary Poppins
19. “Close your mouth please, Michael. We are not a codfish.” – Mary Poppins
20. “For when you dream, you’ll find all that’s lost, is found.” – Mary Poppins
21. “What do you get when you feed the birds? Fat birds.” – Mary Poppins
22. “When the world turns upside down, the best thing to do is turn right along with it.” – Mary Poppins
23. “With your feet on the ground you’re a bird in flight with your fist holding tight to the string of your kite.” – Mary Poppins
24. “You know, you can say it backwards, which is docious-ali-expi-istic-fragil-cali-rupus, but that’s going a bit too far, don’t you think?” – Mary Poppins
25. Bert/Mr. Dawes Sr.: Winds in the east, there’s a mist coming in, like something is brewing, about to begin.
26. “Practically perfect in every way.” – Mary Poppins
27. “In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun.” – Mary Poppins
28. “Supercallifragilisticexpialidocious!”– Mary Poppins
29. “Just a spoon-ful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” –Mary Poppins (Be sure to watch the video of the whole song below!)
30. “You’re too focused on where you’ve been to pay attention to where you’re going.” – Mary Poppins
31. “Chim Chiminy, Chim Chiminy, Chim Chim Chiree! When you’re with a ‘sweep, you’re in glad company.” – Mary Poppins
32. “Everything is possible, even the impossible.” – Mary Poppins
33. “If you invest your tuppence wisely in the bank, safe and sound, soon that tuppence, safely invested in the bank, will compound!” – Mary Poppins
34. “If you won’t scold and dominate us, we will never give you cause to hate us. We won’t hide your spectacles so you can’t see, put toads in your bed, or pepper in your tea.” – Mary Poppins
35. “In every job that must be done, there is an element of fun.” – Mary Poppins
36. “Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” – Mary Poppins
37. “People who get their feet wet must learn to take their medicine.” – Mary Poppins
38. “Practically perfect people never permit sentiment to muddle their thinking.” – Mary Poppins
39. “Sacked? Certainly not. I am never sacked!” – Mary Poppins
Mary Poppins Video – A Spoonful of Sugar
In this clip from 1964, Julie Andrews plays Mary Poppins. She is trying to inspire the two children she is looking after to clean their room. Her song is to inspire them that even a challenging task can be fun when done with the right attitude. This is a classic song from the movie that everyone will remember.
Mary Poppins is a delightful movie that appeals to kids and adults alike.
Which quote is your favorite?
Image Credit: Trailer screenshot, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.