As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
The famous Nancy Pelosi was born in 1940, March 26th. Nancy is an American politician and is currently performing the role of a United States House of Representatives speaker from January 2019. She first got elected to Congress back in 1987 and stands out as the only first woman to have served as the speaker among the highest- elected ranking speaker in U.S. history. If you want to read more about Nancy, this is the most popular book about her life in politics.
Currently, as the speaker of the house, Nancy Pelosi is 2nd in the second line of presidential succession, which comes directly after the vice president. As a member of the Democratic Party, Pelosi is serving her 17th term as a congresswoman and she has served California for ma
She represents California’s 12th congressional district, a role she started from 2013. Because Nancy has been in the public sphere as a politician for so many decades, she has said many interesting and quotable things, especially to inspire young girls to achieve their potential and not let anything hold them back from achieving their life goals. Here are the best quotes we put together after you asked for this post. Enjoy!
Nancy Pelosi Quotes
1. “I would never think of crying about any loss of an office, because that’s always a possibility, and if you’re professional, then you deal with it professionally.”-Nancy Pelosi.
2. “The committee will be empowered to examine all aspects of the federal response to coronavirus, and to assure that the taxpayers’ dollars are being wisely and efficiently spent to save lives, deliver relief and benefit our economy.”-Nancy Pelosi.
3. “We do want them to honor what our conversation was, which is this is just a stopping-off point for the check. It goes to the airline and directly to the employee, we just don’t want to hold it up.”-Nancy Pelosi.
4. “The sequestration is a bad idea, all around. It is something that is out of the question. If you have spending cuts, education of our children, other investments, on the National Institutes of Health, where you are hindering growth, you’re no going to reduce the deficit.”- Nancy Pelosi.
5. “There’s plenty of opportunity for everyone, so there’s no reason to worry about somebody else’s success, either saying you couldn’t do this so she’s better than you, or she’s doing it so you can’t. No, she’s doing it so you can.”-Nancy Pelosi.
6. “Furthermore, we believe that health care reform, again I said at the beginning of my remarks, that we sent the three pillars that the President’s economic stabilization and job creation initiatives were education and innovation – innovation begins in the classroom – clean energy and climate, addressing the climate issues in an innovative way to keep us number one and competitive in the world with the new technology, and the third, first among equals I may say, is health care, health insurance reform.”-Nancy Pelosi.
7. “The American people voted to restore integrity and honesty in Washington, D.C., and the Democrats intend to lead the most honest, most open and most ethical Congress in history.”-Nancy Pelosi.
8. “My biggest fight has been between those who wanted to do something incremental and those who wanted to do something comprehensive. We won that fight, and once we kick through this door, there’ll be more legislation to follow.”-Nancy Pelosi.
9. “Democratic priorities remain clear: to provide a tax cut for working families, to promote policies that produce jobs and economic growth, and to assist millions of our fellow Americans who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own.”-Nancy Pelosi.
10. “Did I ever tell my constituents that if they liked their plan they could keep it? I would have if I ever met anybody who liked his or her plan, but that was not my experience, that was not my experience. And it was not my experience as a mother of five, who occasionally has a bad back and the rest of that. I was considered a poor risk, even though I had some resources and thought I was quite strong for having five children. But the insurance company didn’t see it that way.” Nancy Pelosi.
11. “There are the fundamental core values of the Democratic Party, which is to work to grow the economy, to create jobs, to encourage small business, to encourage ownership, to expand access to quality health care, to enhance opportunity by making higher education more affordable to American’s young people, to have our children live in safe neighborhoods, drug-free, crime-free, and a safe and clean environment, first and foremost to provide for the national defense, to protect and defend the American people, and to have accountability for our budget and for our spending.”-Nancy Pelosi.
12. “You have to believe in who you are and what difference you can make. You have to care about the urgency and the difference it will make to your community, and you have to, again, have confidence in the contribution that you can make. You believe, you care, you have confidence in the difference that you can make. And that’s not to be egotistical, it’s just to be confident.”-Nancy Pelosi.
13.” If women have confidence in themselves, they will have confidence in other women.”- Nancy Pelosi.
14.” The fact is that a lot of the spending increases came during the Bush administration. Two unpaid for wars we got ourselves engaged in. A prescription drug plan that added enormous amounts to our spending, and the tax cuts at the high end that did not create jobs and create revenue coming.”-Nancy Pelosi.
15. “Women are leaders everywhere you look – from the CEO who runs a Fortune 500 company to the housewife who raises her children and heads her household. Our country was built by strong women and we will continue to break down walls and defy stereotypes.”-Nancy Pelosi.
16. “Older people are not going to evaporate from the face of the Earth for two years. They’re going to have medical need and they’re going to have to be attended to. And the earlier intervention for it, the less the cost will be and the better the quality of life.”
17. “This isn’t about partisanship and I’m afraid the White House is taking it in that direction in preventing this from coming forward.”- Nancy Pelosi quotes.
18. “Libya has taken steps over the last few years to improve its international standing, including taking responsibility for the 1988 bombing of a Pan Am passenger jet over Lockerbie, Scotland.”- Nancy Pelosi.
19. “Troops may crush a protest, but they can never extinguish the flame of freedom that burns in every heart, here and in China, … So when our administration says that we are going to take freedom to the darkest corners of the earth, I hope that includes the largest country in the world as well.”- Nancy Pelosi.
20. “This provision would turn millions of immigrants currently here into criminals, hindering their ability to acquire any legal status, and would effectively frustrate the proposals that would provide real immigration reform.”- Nancy Pelosi.
21. “These are shameful words. I am appalled to have to say them on the floor of the House of Representatives. Secretary Bennett’s comments reflect a narrow-minded spirit that has no place within American discourse. These words do not give credence to the tremendously difficult past that African-Americans have endured. These words do not reflect the values of hope and opportunity for the future,”-Nancy Pelosi.
22. “Many in Congress have been concerned for many years about China’s violation of human rights, occupation of Tibet, of proliferation of weapons of mass destruction, and that of course is a national security issue. But on the basis of trade alone, this is a bad deal for the American people.”- Nancy Pelosi.
23. “This isn’t about partisanship and I’m afraid the White House is taking it in that direction in preventing this from coming forward,”- Nancy Pelosi.
24. “I feel sad for him today, and for his family. But I even feel sadder for the American people, who have had their lives affected by the culture of cronyism and corruption that exists in Washington.”- Nancy Pelosi.
25. “I would say that one of the things that encouraged me so much when I became elected to the leadership was the letters I received from fathers of daughters, saying that, ‘My daughter can now do many more things because of what you did.'”-Nancy Pelosi.
26. “What the Republicans have said is rather than touch one hair on the heads of the wealthiest people in our country, people who make over $1 million a year, they’re saying, ‘Seniors should pay $6,000 more dollars a year. But please don’t let us ask the wealthiest to do their fair share.'” Nancy Pelosi.
27. “My husband and I, when we had our five children and they were grown, we thought we were entitled to grandchildren. And so we were just expecting this to happen; of course, nothing was happening. And then we kept begging, bribing, cajoling, anything – threatening to adopt our own grandchildren – and finally, we got some grandchildren.”- Nancy Pelosi.
28. “I went to Catholic school throughout my whole academic life. In fact, my children – my husband and I and our children in my own family now have over 100 years of Catholic education among us.”- Nancy Pelosi.
28. “I went to all-girls’ schools my whole life, so every model of leadership that I saw was a young girl or a woman, and so there was never any hesitation that women could lead. I know what I believe.”- Nancy Pelosi.
29. “The fact is that a lot of the spending increases came during the Bush administration. Two unpaid for wars we got ourselves engaged in. A prescription drug plan that added enormous amounts to our spending, and the tax cuts at the high end that did not create jobs and create revenue coming.”-Nancy Pelosi.
Related: See our collection of Jimmy Carter Quotes.
Nancy Pelosi Interview – 60 Minutes (2021)
Here is the most recent interview that Nancy gave on 60 Minutes. Definitely worth a watch if you are a fan of hers.
Nancy Pelosi is no doubt a famous personality and much admired by many, especially if you are a Democrat, as she is a well known leader in the Democratic Party.
These quotes definitely capture her perspective on political issues and will remind you of the impact she has had on American politics, both in California and at the National level.
If you want to read more about Nancy, this is the most popular book about her life in politics.