George was born in 1943 in Liverpool England. George Harrison was a well known English guitarist, songwriter, producer, and a famous singer worldwide. He was the lead guitarist of the prominent band The Beatles. Harrison was known by most as “The Quiet Beatle.”
George Harrison was a passionate follower of Hinduism, which was rare in the US at that time and that led to a lot of attention. Harison assembled a studio band that consisted of Starr, Eric Clapton the guitarist, Billy Preston the keyboardist, and others to record songs that did not make it to the Beatles catalog.
Harrison was a longtime smoker and was successfully treated for cancer of the throat in 1988. In 2001, his cancer returned, but it was discovered that his cancer had spread to the brains. Harrison died in November 2001 in Los Angeles. Harrison left a legacy and will be remembered for his expertise in the music industry.
George Harrison Quotes
Below is a collection of the most famous quotes by George Harrison.
1. “Try to realize it’s all within yourself no one else can make you change, and to see you’re only very small and life flows on within you and without you.”– George Harrison.
2. “The biggest break in my career was getting into the Beatles in 1962. The second biggest break since then is getting out of them.”– George Harrison.
3. “After all we did for Britain, selling that corduroy and making it swing, all we got was a bit of tin on a piece of leather.”– George Harrison.
4. “Most of the world is fooling about, especially the people who think they control the world and the community. The presidents, the politicians, the military, etc., are all jerking about, acting as if they are Lord over their own domains. That’s basically Problem One on the planet.”– George Harrison.
5. “Everybody should just stay at home and meditate and they’d be so much happier.”
“If people would just wake up to what’s real, there would be no misery in the world. I guess chanting’s a pretty good place to start.”– George Harrison.
6. “Sometimes I feel like I’m actually on the wrong planet. It’s great when I’m in my garden, but the minute I go out the gate I think, ‘What the hell am I doing here?”– George Harrison.
7.” I believe what it says in the scriptures and in the Bhagavad Gita: ‘Never was there a time when you did not exist, and there never will be a time when you cease to exist.”
8. “Why live in the darkness all your life? Why, if you are unhappy, if you are having a miserable time, why not just look at it? Why are you in the darkness? Look for the light. The light is within.”– George Harrison.
9. “People are simply screwing up when they go out and buy beefsteak, which is killing them with cancer and heart troubles. The stuff costs a fortune, too. You could feed a thousand people with lentil soup for the cost of half a dozen filets.”– George Harrison.
10. “The Beatles exist apart from myself. I am not really Beatle George. Beatle George is like a suit or shirt that I once wore on occasion, and until the end of my life, people may see that shirt and mistake it for me.”– George Harrison.
11. “I think it was John who really urged me to play sitar on ‘Norwegian Wood,’ which was the first time we used it. Now, Paul has just asked me recently whether I’d written any more of those ‘Indian type of tunes.’ He suddenly likes them now. But at the time, he wouldn’t play on them.”– George Harrison.
12. “We can go up or we can do down. I think generally the world is going on an upward swing. We’re in a part of a cycle where people are discovering more. The communications are better. We’re getting more into the subtle electricities that control the universe.”– George Harrison.
13. “People have to have the desire within themselves to find out who they are. Who am I and what am I doing here and where am I going? Those sorts of basic questions. Even without picking up a book or anything. If they just ask themselves that sincerely, in the quiet of the night, the door will open.”– George Harrison.
14. “The people gave their money and they gave their screams, but the Beatles gave their nervous systems, which is a much more difficult thing to give.”– George Harrison.
15. “It’s being here now that’s important. There’s no past and there’s no future. Time is a very misleading thing. All there is ever, is the now. We can gain experience from the past, but we can’t relive it, and we can hope for the future, but we don’t know if there is one.”– George Harrison.
16. “George: ‘Ringo would always say grammatically incorrect phrases and we’d all laugh. I remember when we were driving back to Liverpool from Luton up the M1 motorway in Ringo’s Zephyr, and the car’s bonnet hadn’t been latched properly. The wind got under it and blew it up in front of the windscreen. We were all shouting, ‘Aaaargh!’ and Ringo calmly said, ‘Don’t worry, I’ll soon have you back in your safely-beds.”– George Harrison.
17. “Experience is the main reason why we’re here, I think, in the world – to gain experience. And from our experience, we gain knowledge… and if we get any knowledge, then we gain liberation.”– George Harrison.
18. “Give me love Give me love Give me peace on earth Give me light Give me life Keep me free from birth Give me hope Help me cope, with this heavy load Trying to, touch and reach you with, heart and soul.”– George Harrison.
19. “Your own space, man, it’s so important. That’s why we were doomed because we didn’t have any. It is like monkeys in a zoo. They die. You know, everything needs to be left alone.”– George Harrison.
20. “The saddest thing was actually getting fed up with one another. It’s like growing up in a family. When you get to a certain age, you want to go off and get your own girl and your own car, split up a bit.”– George Harrison.
21. “If you want to be popular and famous, you can do it; it’s dead easy if you have that ego desire. But most of my ego desires as far as being famous and successful were fulfilled a long time ago.”– George Harrison.
22. “Basically, I feel fortunate to have realized what the goal is in life. There’s no point in dying having gone through your life without knowing who you are, what you are, or what the purpose of life is. And that’s all it is.”– George Harrison.
23. ““Life goes on within you and without you.’ I just have a belief that this is only one little bit, the physical world is one little bit of the universe.”– George Harrison.
25. “Sunrise doesn’t last all morning, a cloudburst doesn’t last all day, seems my love is up and has left you with no warning. It’s not always going to be this grey. All things must pass, all things must pass away.”– George Harrison.
26. “Anyway, there is one thing I have learned and that is not to dress uncomfortably, in styles which hurt: winklepicker shoes that cripple your feet and tight pants that squash your balls. Indian clothes are better.”– George Harrison.
27. “We laughed a lot. That’s one thing we forgot about for a few years – laughing. When we went through all the lawsuits, it looked as if everything was bleak, but when I think back to before that, I remember we used to laugh all the time.”– George Harrison.
28. “The response that comes from chanting is in the form of bliss, or spiritual happiness, which is a much higher taste than any happiness found here in the material world. That’s why I say that the more you do it, the more you don’t want to stop, because it feels so nice and peaceful.”– George Harrison.
29. “One of the main differences between silent meditation and chanting is that silent meditation is rather dependent on concentration, but when you chant, it’s more of a direct connection with God.”– George Harrison.
30. “We don’t belong here, but in the spiritual sky: As I’m fated for the material world, Get frustrated in the material world, Senses never gratified, Only swelling like a tide, That could drown me in the material world.”– George Harrison.
31. “Without going out of my door, I can know all things on earth. Without looking out of my window I could know the ways of heaven. The farther one travels, The less one knows, the less one really knows.”– George Harrison.
32. “When the truth get’s buried deep beneath a thousand years of sleep, time demands a turnaround.. And once again the truth is found.”– George Harrison.
33. “You can be standing right in front of the truth and not necessarily see it, and people only get it when they’re ready to get it.”– George Harrison.
34. “I consider myself perfectly normal, and I don’t know of any part of my life that would be so unusual as to interest the idly curious.”– George Harrison.
35. “The whole thing of life and all the answers to everything are in one divine law, Karma action and reaction.”– George Harrison.
We Hope you Enjoyed These George Harrison Quotes
In conclusion, Harrison also known as ‘ The Quiet Beatle’ left a legacy in the music industry. Harrison work still lives on and the Beatles records as well as the Harrison’s solo album are selling. This article has offered you some of the best quotes by George Harrison. And it is a good reminder to listen to some Classic Beatles songs and relive the fun of the 1960’s.
Most Fascinating Quotes from Timothy Leary
George Harrison Video
In this fun video, the Traveling Wilburys play the “End of the Line” one of their big hits. The Traveling Wilbury’s was a super rock band of sorts comprised of some very famous musicians who were all very popular and successful. The band included Jeff Lynne, George Harrison, Tom Petty, Roy Orbison, and Bob Dylan.
Fellow Beatle Paul McCartney’s Best Quotes
Image Credit: David Hume Kennerly / Public domain
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.