A mermaid is a creature believed to live in the sea or ocean, with a head and upper body similar to that of a human female and a fish-like tail. The male gender of a mermaid is called a merman, however, there are very few stories and myths about them, and hence, they are less famous, unlike the mermaids.
Mermaids have been known to exist for many years, and there exist multiple stories and myths about mermaids. Generally, the first story about mermaids was about a goddess who jumped into a lake after being ashamed of her in Assyria and got a fish-like form. However, the narrative says that the lake was unable to cover up her divine beauty that resulted in her transformation into a mermaid. Various mermaids have been believed to have been seen in different parts of the world along the coastal beaches and the sea.
Generally, different cultures have been known to believe in the existence of mermaids across the world, and these people tend to have different beliefs about their mermaids. They also believe in certain powers from the mermaids that help them live better lives, or have control over their land, while others believe that mermaids are deceitful, especially to men, and brutal. However, mermaids are mostly known or associated with divine beauty and fertility.
Generally, mermaid quotes are not quotes from the mermaid themselves, but from people who believe in them, or love to think like a mermaid. Mermaid quotes vary from beauty, love, inspiration, and life in general. This article consists of a collection of magical and true mermaid quotes from various authors.
Let’s dive in.
1. “Your soul is so bohemian, free, and gypsy wild. Come swim with me in the calming sea, let’s be mermaids for a while.” ― Melody Lee
2. “I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anais Nin
3. “The turquoise tide shimmered in shades of mermaid tails against the alabaster shore.” ― Karen Marie Moning
4. “I’ve got a swimming pool and I pretend to be like a mermaid, like in the middle of the night. It kind of de-stresses me.” ― Rebel Wilson
5. “I address you all tonight for who you truly are: wizards, mermaids, travelers, adventurers, and magicians. You are the true dreamers.” ― Brian Selznick, The Invention of Hugo Cabret
6. “What you have to understand about the mermaid legend is that it’s universal. No matter where you go, the mermaids got there first.” ― Mira Grant
7. “You steer the ship. I’ll kill the mermaids.” ― Cloey Kinney, Pearl of Meissa
8. “A mermaid’s heart is the most fragile thing in the sea. You’ve somehow managed to keep yours beating. The shield doesn’t matter. What matters is you’re a survivor.”
― Emm Cole, Keeping Merminia
9. “Walking through this life half-sleeping, everything at arm’s length or farther away. I understood those mermaids. I didn’t care if they sang to me.” ― Sarah Densen
10. “Mermaids don’t drown.” ― Suzanne Palmieri, The Witch of Belladonna Bay
11. “I am a siren, and for my adoration of mankind, have been caught in fishing nets one time too many. And in those fishing nets I have learned too many unfavorable things about human intentions and the lack of trust and goodwill; I’m not going to allow myself to be caught, anymore. Sirens do well at singing the sirens’ song and dragging vile people to their deaths, and for good reason!” ― C. JoyBell C
12. “The mermaids came to me finally, in the pink hours of my existence. They are my consolation.” ― Sue Monk Kidd
13. “Way down to the bottom of the ocean to find where the mermaids sang, each to each. Where there was danger and beauty and light.” ― Marisha Pessl, ‘Night Film’
14. “I just love mermaids. I was a mermaid in my past life. I just feel it when I go in the sea.” ― Ella Henderson
15. “But a mermaid has no tears.” ― Hans Christian Andersen
16. “Newly come from the river, she knew nothing. She was a mermaid who had lost her way.” ― Pablo Neruda
17. “They were beautiful dark lakes in which her thoughts swam about like mermaids.” ― Hans Christian Andersen
18. “You’ve never tasted salty air on your tongue or waved heartily at a mermaid!” — Gideon Defoe
19. “But a mermaid has no tears, and therefore she suffers so much more.” — Hans Christian Andersen
20. “I thought of Atargatis, the First, frightening and beautiful. The mermaid goddess who lived on in the soul of every woman who’d ever fallen in love with the ocean.” — Sarah Ockler
21. “Don’t interrupt. She knows words that mermaids taught her…I’m falling asleep in order to hear her…My heart aches because I wasn’t you when you dreamed at the seashore.” ― Fernando Pessoa
22. “If you were a mermaid, you said, If you were a mermaid, I was the sea.” ― Francesca Lia Block
23. “A mermaid found a swimming lad, Picked him up for her own, Pressed her body to his body, Laughed; and plunging down Forgot in cruel happiness That even lovers drown.” — William Butler Yeats
24. “There’s always a woman somewhere, child; a princess, a witch, a stepmother, a mermaid, a fairy godmother, or one as wicked as she is beautiful, or as beautiful as she is good.” — Jeanette Winterson
25. “I often have the fantasy that curly girls are mermaids who have had to adapt to life on dry land. We come from the sea.” — Lorraine Massey
26. “Make your story so beautiful, mermaids have trouble believing it’s true.” ― R.I.D,
27. “And I am here, the mermaid whose dark hair streams black, the merman in his armored body.” — Adrienne Rich
28. “I love water and you said, you thought a mermaid, maybe. If you were a mermaid, you said, if you were a mermaid, I was the sea.” ― Francesca Lia Block
29. “She is a mermaid on dry land and the world is her ocean. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in.” ― J. Iron
30. “I sat upon a promontory, And heard a mermaid, on a dolphin’s back, Uttering such dulcet and harmonious breath, That the rude sea grew civil at her song; And certain stars shot madly from their spheres, To hear the sea-maid’s music.” ― William Shakespeare
31. “The ultimate corner of sugar and toast, where the mermaids catch the branches of the willows and the heart opens to a flute’s sharpness.” ― Federico Garcia Lorca
32. “A mermaid has not an immortal soul, nor can she obtain one unless she wins the love of a human being. On the power of another hangs her eternal destiny.” ― Hans Christian Andersen
33. “Men are afraid of mermaids. They want to be near mermaids, but, they’re afraid of them. Because a man needs to swim with a mermaid while a boat feels safer. Lots of men want to stay in a boat because they’re afraid of drowning. But a mermaid knows: life is just not worth living if you’re not ready to drown a few times.” ― C. JoyBell C
34. “If you sing to the mermaids, they come when you’re drowning.” ― Tori Amos
35. “I’ll drown more sailors than the mermaid shall.” ― William Shakespeare, ‘King Henry VI’
36. “Your soul is so bohemian, free and gypsy wild. Come swim with me in the calming sea, let’s be mermaids for a while.” — Melody Lee
37. “I’m always happy when I’m surrounded by water, I think I’m a Mermaid or I was a mermaid. The ocean makes me feel really small and it makes me put my whole life into perspective… it humbles you and makes you feel almost like you’ve been baptized. I feel born again when I get out of the ocean.” — Beyonce Knowles
38. “Mermaid tears were treasure, meant to be guarded close to one’s heart. They brought wishes of true love and kept you safe.” — Kerry Lonsdale, ‘All The Breaking Waves’
39. “Aye, tough mermaids are, the lot of them.” — Blackbeard
40. “Like a mermaid rising from an ocean of paper, the girl emerged across the room.” — Brian Selznick
41. “I’ll swim through the Earth, like a mermaid of the soil, just to be next to your bones.” ― Jeffrey McDaniel
42. “I must be a Mermaid. I have no fear of depth and a great fear of shallow living.” ― Anias Nin
43. “Old ladies in wheelchairs with blankets over their legs, I don’t think so…retired mermaids.” — Milton Jones
44. “We are the glamorous mermaids in the ocean that offers us another magical journey.” — Cinda Swalley
45. “Where there’s water, we find mermaids. Maybe it’s time we started asking ourselves exactly why that is.” — Mira Grant
46. “Be a mermaid who doesn’t stop until she makes tidal waves. be a mermaid who knows to stop before she devastates the world with her.” — Amanda Lovelace
47. “I was all in gold sequins for Million Dollar Mermaid, 50 feet in the air” — Esther Williams
48. “I started early, took my dog, And visited the sea; The mermaids in the basement Came out to look at me” ― Emily Dickinson
49. “I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each. I do not think that they will sing to me.” ― T. S. Eliot
50. “I always wanted to be a mermaid but I never saw the sea.” — Renee Thebeau
51. “First of all, never call a mermaid a fish unless you’re trying to insult her.” ― Tiana Warner
52. “She is a mermaid but approach her with caution. Her mind swims at a depth most would drown in.” — J. Iron
53. “There are people all over the world who carry the mermaid inside them.” — Carolyn Turgeon
54. “The mermaid is an archetypal image that represents a woman who is at ease in the great waters of life, the waters of emotion.” ― Anita Johnson
55. “Like a mermaid in sea-weed, she dreams awake, trembling in her soft and chilly nest.” ― John Keats
56. “Maybe I’m still the mermaid. Maybe the ocean is your hand.” — Kelli Russell Agodon
57. “I’ve always been obsessed with things that are half animal and half human – like mermaids and Minotaurs – because they are trapped in an animal body. And I felt trapped in my own life.” ― Riccardo Tisci
58. “Nobody wants to admit that mermaids who survive the dangers of the ocean can still be defeated by their own pain.” ― Emm Cole
59. “Any soul you are attached to is a mermaid for you because it slowly pulls you into the pond of its bad Karma.” — Shunya
60. “Mermaids are not the monsters you humans think we are.” ― Sarah Henning
61. “Maybe I would become a mermaid…My fingernails would be tiny shells and my skin would be like a jade with light shining through it. I would never have to come back up.” ― Francesca Lia Block
62. “I felt a little like a mermaid, rendered voiceless by her own longing.” — Seanan McGuire
63. “If you are curious you might never come home, like all the men who now live with mermaids at the bottom of the sea. Or the people who found Atlantis.” — Jeanette Winterson
64. “And then I cried a flood of tears as if I really were a mermaid who had absorbed too much sea into herself.” ― Francesca Lia Block
65. “She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight.” ― Janet Fitch
66. “As the sunlight flickered along her scales, the mermaid shimmered.” — Lisa Thompson
67. “Now and then a giggling trail of mermaids appeared in our wake. We fed them oatmeal.” ― Tove Jansson
Related: Quotes about Body Positivity
Video: Truth Behind Mermaids
Do mermaids really exist? How do these half-human half-fish mythical sea creatures look? Does Aquaman live among mermaids? Anyway, one of the interesting things about legends is that entirely different parts of the world describe seeing the exact same thing for centuries!
Believe it or not, scientists and historians have been interested in the mermaid’s existence for years.
In conclusion, there is a lot to learn from mermaid quotes about these fascinating, mythical creatures.
Mermaid quotes have various teachings and inspirations about life and the way we should live. The above article has provided you with 67 magical and true mermaid quotes, embedded with inspiration, love, fun, and beauty, from various mermaids around the world.
Related: Inspirational Quotes about Goddesses
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.