As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Terry Eugene Bollea, better known as Hulk Hogan, was born in August of 1953. As a youth, he played fretless bass guitar in several bands but was recruited young to wrestling by the Brisco Brothers in Florida. Hogan joined the WWF (now WWE) in 1983 and became famous with his all-American persona, outstanding showmanship, and incredible wrestling skills. Hogan has done several movies and television shows and has wrestled for several other companies.
Now retired, Hogan continues to inspire youth who hope to wrestle someday.
His advice: “Say your prayers and take your vitamins.”
Hulk Hogan Quotes
Here are 47 Hulk Hogan quotes to inspire youth and the rest of us.
- “Hopefully I can become the Babe Ruth of the World Wrestling Federation and be the champion at the same time.”
- “There’s a lot of gimmick infringement out there, but that’s cool. It’s a compliment. But it all started right when I first came into the Garden. I came down to ‘Eye of the Tiger’ and when I hit the ring with the Sheik, I just put my hand up to my ear by accident, and the crowd got louder. I was like ‘Oh, that works.’”
- “People are really nice in the world. The majority of every single person I meet is really nice. Some people get excited, and some people freak out when they accidentally run into me, but across the board most people are really nice, so I just like to treat people how they treat me.”
- “The leg drop was a move that nobody really used, and nobody ever hit the ropes and jumped up really high, so I tried it out in Japan and the people loved it. That’s how I came up with it.”
- “The only time I’m not Hulk Hogan is when I’m behind closed doors because as soon as I walk out the front door, and somebody says hello to me, I can’t just say ‘hello’ like Terry. When they see me, they see the blond hair, the mustache, and the bald head, they instantly think Hulk Hogan.”
- “In the ring, it’s fun to be the bad guy, but 24 hours a day, when you have to talk to kids, and you see Make-A-Wish kids that love you, the bad guy stuff is not fun. I’d rather be a good guy 24 hours a day than a bad guy just for a few minutes in the ring.”
- “Wrestling needs to be about the art form again. It needs to be about painting a picture and having a really good match.”
- “After watching wrestling for 20 years, I thought I had enough confidence to do it. There were no wrestling schools at the time.”
- “I’m 58 years old and I just went through 8 back surgeries. They started cutting on me in February 2009, and I was basically bedridden for almost two years. I got a real dose of reality that if you don’t have your health, you don’t have anything.”
- “I love to give the fans what they want. They’re what I miss most when I’m not wrestling. That time in the ring is like being in heaven for me.”
- “I fear no man, no beast or evil, brother.”
- “The coolest thing, and I have it at home, is a huge Hulk Hogan, normal-sized pinball machine. When people come over they play it for hours. When you hit the bumpers and the bells ring it goes, ‘Oh yeah!’ The whole time you’re playing this machine it’s yelling and screaming at you, ‘What you gonna do, brother?!’ I think that’s the coolest.”
- “Be a father first. Don’t put a priority of being a friend with your wife first, or a friend with your kids first.”
- “If anybody dared say wrestling was fake, you’d punch ’em. And you never used the word show. If you used the word show it was an insult.”
- “A lot of people didn’t realize that with the carpet being pulled out from under me in such a short time frame I got to such a bad place.”
- “When the script for ‘The Wrestler’ kept coming to me I said, This movie is so good if you put me in the film as a wrestler people are going to say, ‘No credibility, Hulk Hogan isn’t a good actor,’ whatever Hollywood thinks of me.”
- “If I do hit that rope and do a hop, skip and a jump and get up as high as I can, I’m just going to hold my breath, because I know i’m going to hear all kinds of scar tissue popping.”
- “Whatcha gunna do when Hulkamanina and my 24 pythons run wild on you?!?!?!!?”
- “As far as my divorce goes, I love my family and I love my wife to death and I just don’t know what tomorrow’s going to bring.”
- “It’s tough because a lot of my friends in normal life, a lot of my friends in the entertainment business, and a lot of my friends in the wrestling business are gay. Just to say something spiteful and hurtful, I don’t get it… if it was true and I was gay, I’d embrace it, and I’d tell you guys about it and I’d celebrate it.”
- “I train all the time and the weird thing is I’m in the gym with people between 20 and 25 years old and I look in the mirror and I look better than they do and they are young kids – either they haven’t trained hard enough or they aren’t serious enough.”
- “We’re the greatest athletes in the world without a doubt.”
- “People always expect Hulk Hogan to be standing up straight, or to have the bandanna on, or to not have my arms covered up. If I have an extra large shirt on people go ‘oh yeah you look small.’ It kind of ruins the mystique.”
- “Then as I was wrestling as Terry Boulder. I was on a talk show with Lou Ferrigno, and I was actually bigger than he was! I went back to the dressing room that night and all of the wrestlers go ‘Oh my God you’re bigger than the hulk on TV’ so they started calling me Terry ‘The Hulk’ Boulder.”
- “The fans know what’s happened to me over the past couple of years. I lost my family. I pretty much got devastated financially and the fans know that I’ve had some hard times – and that’s the nature of loyal fans. They want to see the people that they love and believe in get back on their feet.”
- “Negativity and Hulkamania – 2 things that don’t go together.”
- “It’s amazing that even though I’ve lost everything else, I still have wrestling.”
- “I’ve been around so long and no matter if I’ve done good things or bad things, or my personal life has been good or bad, the fans have always stuck with me.”
- “I’ve always felt from everyone I talk to that the fans feel like I’m tangible and they can talk to me and they know me.”
- “To all my little Hulkamaniacs, say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong.”
- “I used to be a session musician before I was a wrestler. I played bass guitar. I was big pals with Lars Ulrich and he asked me if I wanted to play bass with Metallica in their early days but it didn’t work out.”
- “I woke up and realized life is great and people are awesome and life is worth living.”
- “When you start out in the wrestling business, you make a lot of mistakes, tripping over your own feet and looking like a fool.”
- “If I have a problem with someone I talk about them. I don’t pick on their kids.”
- “The best wrestlers, whether its a Hulk Hogan or a Rey Mysterio, are the ones who have psychology and can understand this business.”
- “We’re probably the opposite of the Osbournes. We run a very tight ship.”
- “I’m the man that made wrestling famous.”
- “Hulkamania is running wild, Brother.”
- “I feel really good right now. It will really be a tough decision. It’s so hard to give up what you love doing. Hanging up the boots will not be an easy thing to do.”
- “I quit doing the movies because the wrestling was going so good and was so on fire during the ’80s and ’90s, but I was getting all these movie scripts.”
- “Nobody told me how to talk or think.”
- “When the giant hits the ground, he feels the wrath of Hulkamania and the whole world shakes at my feet.”
- “I’m real critical of myself and if I take the bandana off my head I’m completely bald headed and go from being 58 to looking 68 instantly.”
- “I’m real good with math, with numbers, like my dad was. I’m pretty much dialed in.”
- “I’d like to be the John Wayne of the ’90s. Not in terms of being the macho guy, but as a solid male leading character. Making an action-adventure comedy that kids can see with their families is a natural extension of what I did in wrestling.”
- “I promised each and every Hulkamaniac when I went to that great battlefield in the sky I would bring the WWF title with me.”
- “I’ve been knocked out a few times, but I have no idea how many concussions I’ve ever had.”
As the hero of Hunkamania, Hulk Hogan is an inspiration to countless would-be wrestlers and a terrific actor. He followed his dreams to fame as a wrestler. These quotes help us remember to always follow our dreams.
Hulk Hogan Video
In this incredibly fun video, Brock Lesnar & Paul Heyman almost ruin Hulk Hogan’s birthday celebration, until John Cena comes out to the ring. This is from WWE Raw on August 11, 2014. If you want to relive the glory of Hulk Hogan and Hulkamania in the ring, this is a must watch.
PS – If you liked these quotes, you will probably also appreciate Macho Man Randy Savage quotes – he is the most fun pro wrestler ever!