The future of humanity is threatened by an alien invasion in the ‘Half-Life’ game series. Gordon Freeman is the main character in this series and is also a physicist. The game was first released in 1998. The debuting game Half-Life, featured an explosion in the Black Mesa Research Facility where Freeman was employed as a physicist and opened a portal to a world of aliens.
The game has you battling the aliens and government to save mankind using your combating, and problem solving skills. Critics have rated the game to be challenging, realistic, and suspenseful. The game has since released numerous ‘Half-Life’ sequels including, Half-Life 2 (2004), and ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020). The developer and producer of these games is the Valve Corporation. The game is the most fun with this VR headset ensemble from Oculus.
One of the alien species that are found throughout the ‘Half-Life’ game series are the vortigaunts. These human creatures are somewhat humanoid because of their appearance containing two arms and two legs, but they also have a third arm that is placed in their chest area.
The vortigaunts, or vorts, can be seen bending over their prey or victims, feeding on them with the third arm. Other physical features of this particular alien species are their clawed hands, greenish brown skin, razor sharp teeth, hunched postures and one big eye surrounded by three smaller eyes.
In the original game, the vortiguants were used as slaves, but are actually pretty intelligent and can be often seen performing intelligent tasks in the game series. The aliens can speak English pretty fluently, but some of the vortiguants have a problem pronouncing words, especially those including Ss and Rs. Some vortigaunts mix their language, Vortigese, in with the English words they are speaking.
- “There is more to the Freeman than meets the eye.” – A vortigaunt
- “We have endured these chafing bonds for eons, yet a single moment of further servitude seems intolerable!” – A vortigaunt
- “The Alyx Vance… you are our friend.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020)
- “You leap, you fall, we see you flash between the barriers. We are there still, in observance of your final stroke.” – A vortigaunt
- “We fear we have failed you.” – A vortigaunt
- “What did the Freeman expect to find down there? Surely, the Freeman leaves no path unexplored.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life 2 Episode 2’ (2007)
- “The Eli Vance almost perceives the All-in-One.” – A vortigaunt
- “That sharp spur of hope has not dulled to this day. For once the lesser master lay defeated, we knew the greater must also fall in time.” – A vortigaunt
- “You humans, always in the qualidity.” – A vortigaunt
- “What did the Freeman expect to find down there? Truly, the Freeman leaves no path unexplored.” – A vortigaunt
- “This is more than anyone can bear, but we will persevere!” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life 2 Episode 2’ (2007)
- “We have been in trapped… in the dark.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020)
- “Your companionship is greatly belabored.” – A vortigaunt
- “For a brief time you joined with us. You are one. Between the worlds. Communion of the Vortessence. And that other: a deeper mystery. No deeper than the void itself. We cannot forget those whose cords you cut. Forgiveness is not ours to bestow.” – A vortigaunt
- “The Eli Vance was our first collaborator.” – A vortigaunt
- “This is the Freeman. The Combine’s reckoning has come.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life 2’ (2004)
- “Churr galing chur alla gung…” – A vortigaunt speaking in Vortigese
- “And now this one must bid the Freeman farewell. Nova Prospekt lies just beyond. Remember well what you have learned here. The Eli Vance has greatest confidence in you.” – A vortigaunt
- “Ah, what pit would be complete without the Freeman climbing out of it?” – A vortigaunt
- “The Combine drain from us the power they use to protect their weapon.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020)
- “Chur lung gong chella gurr…” – A vortigaunt speaking in Vortigese
- “We serve the same mystery.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life 2’ (2004)
- “No matter the consequences of this struggle. You have brought us grief and jubilation beyond measure. With you beside us, a talisman of victory, the day of freedom draws nigh.” – A vortigaunt
- “Our finest poet describes it thus: Gallum galla gilla ma.” – A vortigaunt
- “Comes a man? It is! The Freeman!” – A vortigaunt
- “The Freeman must excuse us. It is rude of us to commune by flux shifting in front of those whose vortal inputs are impaired.” – A vortigaunt
- “The last… I am the last…” – Nihilanth, leader of the vortigaunts, ‘Half-life’ (1998)
- “An eternity’s repose. It brings peaceful thoughts, does it not?” – A vortigaunt
- “No… the Vortigaunt will extract ourselves and exact our own vengeance. YOU must go to the weapon.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020)
- “Node and nexus, feed upon this life!” – A vortigaunt
- “Something secret steers us both. We shall not name it. We have endured these chafing bonds for eons, yet a single moment of further servitude seems intolerable! How often have we slipped our yoke, only to find it choking us again. Let this war end in either total victory or our extinction. No further compromise shall we allow.” – A vortigaunt
- “The truth… you can never know… the truth…” – Nihilanth, leader of the vortigaunts, ‘Half-life’ (1998)
- “The Combine will pay in kind for their depravity.” – A vortigaunt
- “Perhaps we will serve you better here.” – A vortigaunt
- “The Freeman must now hurry on! The Eli Vance is held in distress most dire!” – A vortigaunt
- “So many crates, tumbling into the abyss. I hope our dreams do not follow them.” – A vortigaunt
- “[upon the Nihilanth’s death] FREEEMANNN!” – Nihilanth, leader of the vortigaunts, ‘Half-life’ (1998)
- “Now, go! We each have our paths. We cannot fail.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020)
- “We take our stand beside you, here, upon this miserable rock.” – A vortigaunt
- “You must remember us from Black Mesa.” – A vortigaunt
- “While our own lay scattered at your feet, you severed the vortal cord that bound the Nihilanth to life, and to us.” – A vortigaunt
- “The Freeman can also coax his antlions to attack specific targets. Observe the training manikin, and mark it well with another pheropod.” – A vortigaunt
- “Those crates may prove useful. The Freeman will be glad he rescued them.” – A vortigaunt
- “Do not worry, Alyx Vance. They will not be. We will not allow it.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020)
- “Could you but see the eyes inside your own, the minds in your mind, you would see how much we share.” – A vortigaunt
- “The way ahead is dark for the moment. What seems to you a sacrifice is merely, to us, an oscillation. We do not fear the interval of darkness. We are a tapestry woven of Vortessence. It is the same for you if only you would see it.” – A vortigaunt
- “We see you still in Black Mesa. Clearly we see you in the Nihilanth’s chamber.” – A vortigaunt
- “Now, attend well. Apply pressure to your pheropod, to signal the antlions in your command to follow you.” – A vortigaunt
- “Calm yourself!” – A vortigaunt
- “The Freeman is a quick thinker, and a fast mover! I think you will be very glad you saved those crates!” – A vortigaunt
- “I am diminished. The Vortessence is distant from me… I hear its song, but faintly.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020)
- “Whose hopes and dreams do you encompass? Could you but see the eyes inside your own, the minds in your mind, you would see how much we share. We are you, Freeman. And you are us.” – A vortigaunt
- “All in one and one in all.” – A vortigaunt
- “We are mindful of the words of our greatest philosopher: companum gannennen vorgenot!” – A vortigaunt
- “The Freeman must squeeze his bug-bait sharply if he wishes the antlions to follow where he leads.” – A vortigaunt
- “A grim pińata.” – A vortigaunt
- “Undeserving of consciousness.”- A vortigaunt
- Go. Our paths diverge. But remember: There is no distance between us. We are coterminous.” – A vortigaunt, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020)
- “Your bright face obscures your darker mask. We call you sib, although your mind and meaning are a mystery to us. Far distant eyes look out through yours.” – A vortigaunt
- “The Freeman will do wise to heed our extraction of the myrmidont’s aromatic pheropods. The process is not entirely hygienic. Therefore, stand aside.” – A vortigaunt
- “We cannot read the Freeman’s optical buds.” – A vortigaunt
Vortigaunt Video – An Interview with a Vortigaunt
Ah, this is a funny clip. If you’re really curious about vortigaunts, give it a watch and you can hear from a Vortigaunt in his own voice!
Vortigaunts may not be the primary characters of the well loved game series, but they are definitely a big part of it, you can’t have ‘Half-Life’ without the vortigaunts. You may not be a gamer, but it is highly likely that a gamer you know has heard of or even has played any of the ‘Half-Life’ games.
Share or send some of these quotes to your gamer friends, or fellow gamers. Use them in a forum, or post them on social media to show your support and love for the ‘Half-Life’ gaming series.
Maybe you currently play the newest addition, ‘Half-Life Alyx’ (2020), use some of these quotes to better understand the significance of the vortigaunts. Share the quotes with the person or people that got you into playing the game series.
Related: Most Memorable Quotes from Halo
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.