Shrek is one of those rare animated movies that have withstood the test of time. It has become a favorite across multiple generations. Kids love to watch these films while adults fondly reminisce watching Shrek in their childhood.
The franchise’s popularity has become so widespread that the character has become an icon. The first Shrek movie was released in 2001 and had received universal acclaim from people of all ages. The rich humor blended with elements of all the different fairy tales and their characters made all those stories come to life.
The success of the first film led to the creation of a whole franchise of Shrek films. The voice actor of Shrek, Mike Meyers, has done a tremendous job in making sure Shrek’s voice will remain forever engraved in our memories.
Similarly, Eddy Murphy, who voiced Donkey, is brilliant through and through. The chemistry of both Shrek and Donkey is stellar with both of them having side splitting one-liners.
Below are some of the most famous Shrek quotes that will take you down the memory lane.
55 Shrek Quotes
1. “Wow, only a true friend would be that truly honest.” – Donkey
2. “Because that’s what friends do, they FORGIVE EACH OTHER.” – Donkey
3. “This’ll be fun. We’ll stay up late, swapping manly stories, and in the morning… I’m making waffles.” – Donkey
4. “Please. I don’t wanna go back there. You don’t know what it’s like to be considered a freak… Well, maybe you do, but that’s why we gotta stick together. You gotta let me stay!” – Donkey
5. “Wow, that was really scary and if you don’t mind me saying, if that don’t work, your breath will certainly get the job done, ’cause you definitely need some Tic Tacs or something ’cause your breath STINKS.” – Donkey
6. “Man, you gotta warn somebody before you crack one like that. My mouth was open and everything.” – Donkey
7. “You might have seen a housefly, maybe even a superfly, but I bet you ain’t never seen a donkey fly.” – Donkey
8. “Whoa. Look at that. Who’d wanna live in a place like that?” – Donkey “That would be my home.” – Shrek
9. “He hooffed unt he poooffed unt he… signed an eviction notice.” – Little Pig
10. “Some of you may die, but its a sacrifice I’m willing to make.” – Lord Farquaad
11. “C’mon, princess, you’re not that ugly. All right, you are ugly. But you’re only like this at night. Shrek’s ugly 24/7.” – Donkey
12. “I’m not the monster here. You are. You and the rest of that fairy tale trash, poisoning my perfect world. Now, tell me! Where are the others?!” –Lord Farquaad
13. “Don’t die, Shrek. And if you see any long tunnels, stay away from the light!” – Donkey.
14. “The stars don’t tell the future. They tell stories.” — Shrek
15. “All right, you’re going the right way for a smacked bottom.” — Shrek
16. “Don’t worry, princess. I used to be afraid of the dark until… No, wait. I’m still afraid of the dark.” – Donkey
17. “So where is this fire-breathin’ pain in the neck, anyway?” – Donkey “In the tower, waiting for us to rescue her.” – Shrek
18. “I was talkin’ about the dragon, Shrek.” – Donkey
19. “But this isn’t right. You’re meant to charge in, sword drawn, banner flying-that’s what all the other knights did.” – Princess Fiona “Yeah, right before they burst into flame.” – Shrek
20. “Once upon a time, there was a lovely princess. But she had an enchantment upon her of a fearful sort which could only be broken by love’s first kiss. She was locked away in a castle guarded by a terrible fire-breathing dragon. Many brave knights had attempted to free her from this dreadful prison, but none prevailed. She waited in the dragon’s keep, in the highest room of the tallest tower, for her true love, and true love’s first kiss.” – Shrek
21. “No! I’m an ogre! You know, “Grab your torch and pitchforks!” Doesn’t that bother you?” – Shrek
22. “What are you doing? You know, you should sweep me off my feet out yonder window and down a rope onto your valiant steed.” – Princess Fiona
23. “Oh, what large teeth you have. I mean white sparkly teeth, I know you probably hear this all the time from your food but you must bleach or something, ’cause that’s one dazzling smile you got there and do I detect a hint of minty freshness?” – Donkey
24. “A girl dragon… Oh, sure, I mean of course you’re a girl dragon! You’re just reeking of feminine beauty and… hey, what’s the matter with you, you got somethin’ in your eye?” – Donkey.
25. “By night one way, by day another, This shall be the norm, Until you find true love’s first kiss, Then take love’s true form.” – Princess Fiona.
26. “Nobody said I have the right to remain silent!” – Donkey
27. “Donkey, you have the right to remain silent. What you lack is the capacity.” — Shrek
28. “Someday, I will repay you. Unless, of course, I can’t find you or if I forget.” — Shrek
29. “Well, actually, that would be a giant. Now, ogres – oh, they’re much worse. They’ll make a suit from your freshly peeled skin! They’ll shave your liver, squeeze the jelly from your eyes! Actually, it’s quite good on toast.” — Shrek
30. “I have a bit of a confession to make: donkeys don’t have layers. We wear our fear right there on our sleeves.” – Donkey
31. “Blue flower, red thorns. Blue flower, red thorns. Man, this would be so much easier if I wasn’t color-blind.” – Donkey
32. “You know what? Maybe there’s a good reason donkeys shouldn’t talk.”— Shrek
33. “NO. Layers. Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers.” – Shrek
34. “Wake up and smell the pheromones.” — Donkey
35. “Okay, let me get this straight: you gonna go fight a dragon and rescue a princess just so Farquaad’ll give you back your swamp, which you only don’t have ‘cos he filled it full of freaks in the first place, is that about right?” – Donkey
36. “Huh, celebrity marriages. They never last, do they?” – Donkey
37. “You know what ELSE everybody likes? Parfaits! Have you ever met a person, you say, ‘Let’s get some parfait,’ they say, ‘Hell no, I don’t like no parfait’? Parfaits are delicious!” —Donkey
38. “But, uh, I don’t have any friends. And I’m not going out there by myself.” — Donkey
39. “Now, why don’t you go to celebrate your freedom with your own friends? Hmm?” — Shrek
40. “Can I say something to you? Listen, you was really, really something back there. Incredible!” – Donkey
41. “Sure it’s big enough… but look at the location.” – Shrek
42. “The battle is won. You may remove your helmet, good Sir Knight.” — Princess Fiona
43. “But, I don’t understand. I’m supposed to be beautiful.” – Princess Fiona
44. “That’s another thing we have in common. I hate it when you’ve got someone in your face, you try to give someone a hint and they won’t leave, and then there’s that big awkward silence.” – Donkey.
45. “What kind of a knight are you?” – Princess Fiona
46. “One of a kind.” – Shrek
47. “I just know, before this is over, I’m gonna need a whole lot of serious therapy. Look at my eye twitchin’.” – Donkey
48. “Donkey, if that was me, you’d be dead. That’s brimstone… we must be getting close.” – Shrek
49. “Yeah, right, brimstone, don’t be talking about no brimstone. I know what I smelt and it wasn’t no brimstone and it didn’t come off no stone neither.” – Donkey
50. “Don’t mess wit’ me. I’m the Stair Master. I’ve Mastered the Stairs. I wish I had a step right here, I could step here and here and here and step all over it.” – Donkey
51. “You know Donkey, sometimes things are more than they appear.”— Shrek
52. “I’ll stick with you!” – Donkey
53. “[To Dragon] What’s the matter? You got somethin’ in your eye?” – Donkey
54. “What’s that? It’s hideous!” – Lord Farquaad
55. “Well, that’s not very nice. It’s just a donkey.” — Shrek
Top 10 Shrek Scenes
This is a compilation of some of the most memorable Shrek scenes that are sure to take you on a nostalgic trip.
Shrek will always remain a classic fairytale with a twist. Each character is unique and hilarious in their own way, especially the Shrek and Donkey duo. Currently, there are four Shrek movies, with the fifth one set to be released in 2023.
Image Credit – “Shrek hdr” by joiseyshowaa is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Image Credit – “Hello I’m Fiona Shrek’s beautiful wife ;p” by _snapies_ is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0.
Image Credit – https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1342470327/
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.