Paul Harvey was an American radio broadcaster, mostly for the ABC Radio Networks. He hosts his shows on the week on mid-days, weekday mornings and also broadcasted news. Furthermore, he also hosts a show on Saturdays at noon. Paul Harvey remains famous in the entire story segments, especially from the 1950s to the 1990s. Note: you can read more about his life here.
His radio program reached 24 million people per week back in the heyday of radio. You should also remember that his news was carried out on 300 newspapers, 400 network stations of armed forces, and 1,200 radio stations. He was popular due to his idiosyncratic news stories delivery using numerous of his standard sign-offs & lead-ins, peculiar intonations as well as dramatic pauses. And he definitely appealed to a more conservative, Christian, religious group – his messages resonated most strongly with that group. If you want some inspiration from Paul Harvey, you’ve come to the right place. Here’s an overview of some of his most famous quotes that will help you keep motivated.
The Most Inspiring Paul Harvey quotes
1. “Fathers are men who give daughters away to other men who aren’t nearly good enough…so they can have grandchildren who are smarter than anybody’s.”-Paul Harvey.
2. “When Dr. Manner reported on the total remission of breast cancer in lab animals (Using ‘Laetrile in conjunction with vitamins and enzymes’)…, ACS President, Ben Byrd, criticized (him) for making his announcement in public, and said such announcements should be made only in a proper scientific forum.”- Paul Harvey
3. “Growth is the process of responding positively to change.”-Paul Harvey
4. “When people come to Yoga, they are perhaps coming to it at the end of a long series of alternatives, and they’re looking for something that’s going to act very quickly. But Yoga is not a quick answer.”-Paul Harvey
5. “It was self-serving politicians who convinced recent generations of Americans that we could all stand in a circle with our hands in each other’s pockets and somehow get rich.”- Paul Harvey
6. “Yoga is a product of Eastern thought. A further complication is that the early Yoga teachers were both Indian and Hindu. So from the late 1800’s and early 1900’s the Yoga teachers who came across were as interested in Hinduism as in Yoga. Often what we were being taught was a mixture of two different systems.”- Paul Harvey
7. “Not everybody wants to call sin’ sin’! Some call it mischief. Some call it rebellion. And hardly anybody can agree where we should draw the line. … Our courts are … trying to define pornography, yet moral law is very specific to any reader of God’s Word.”- Paul Harvey
8. “Life must always go on and Yoga is not about an escape from Life. Yoga’s about a way of dealing with Life more effectively; to be able to involve oneself with one’s family, one’s friends, one’s social commitments, one’s job and yet at the same time maintain one’s center.”- Paul Harvey
9. “If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then 9 times out of ten it will.”- Paul Harvey
10. “Dependency arguments often come from elites – either aid agencies or governments – and say something about attitudes to poor people.”- Paul Harvey
11. “When your outgo exceeds your income, the upshot may be your downfall.”- Paul Harvey.
12. “Ever occur to you why some of us can be this much concerned with animals suffering? Because government is not. Why not? Animals don’t vote.”-Paul Harvey
13. “Every pessimist who ever lived has been buried in an unmarked grave. Tomorrow has always been better than today, and it always will be.”- Paul Harvey
14. “Man — despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments — owes his existence to a six-inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.”- Paul Harvey.
15. “I hope someday to have so much of what the world calls success, that people will ask me, “What’s your secret?” and I will tell them, “I just get up again when I fall down.”- Paul Harvey.
16. “The years don’t always add wisdom, but they do add perspective.”- Paul Harvey.
17. “These things I wish for you-tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it’s the only way to appreciate Life.”- Paul Harvey.
18. “If you found yourself in a situation where you could either save a drowning man, or you could take a Pulitzer prize winning photograph of him drowning, what shutter speed and setting would you use?”- Paul Harvey.
19. “You can always tell when you are on the road to success; it’s uphill all the way.”- Paul Harvey
20. “Self-government won’t work without self-discipline.”- Paul Harvey
21. “Oh, things always get better. Tomorrow will always be better. Just think about it . . . is there any time in history in which you’d rather live than now?”- Paul Harvey
22. “But, as all scientists know, there is a time lag of 12 to 18 months between the time a manuscript is submitted and the time it is published in a scientific journal.”- Paul Harvey
23. “Paul Harvey was the most listened to man in the history of radio. … There is no one who will ever come close to him.”- Paul Harvey.
25. “For me, success is, during this early pilgrimage, to leave the woodpile a little higher than I found it.”- Paul Harvey
25. “In small towns as well as large, good people outnumber bad people by 100 to 1. In big towns the 100 are nervous. But in small towns, it’s the one.”- Paul Harvey
26. “They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?”- Paul Harvey
27. “We’ve drifted away from being fishers of men to being keepers of the aquarium.”- Paul Harvey
28. “Stay in your seat come times of trouble. Its only people who jump off the roller coaster who get hurt.”- Paul Harvey
29. “…Delay, says Dr. Manner, is a luxury which people with right-now cancers cannot afford.”- Paul Harvey
30. “The breath is seen to be the key between the emotional state, the mental state and physical state. It is perhaps the most important tool, and it’s one whose importance is underestimated in the West.”- Paul Harvey
31. “All my life I wanted to play golf like Jack Nicklaus, and now I do.”- Paul Harvey
32. “Breath is perhaps the first thing we have in Life. It’s how we measure the starting of Life and it’s how we measure the ending of Life.”- Paul Harvey
33. “Yoga aims to bring about a situation where the mind is quieter and more effective. It’s not only about relaxation, it’s also about improving our energy. It’s about making us more decisive and at the same time better able to judge a situation clearly.”- Paul Harvey
34. “The spirit of interdependence will not cost us more than its worth. On the steep slope ahead, holding hands is necessary. And it just might be that we can learn to enjoy it.”- Paul Harvey
35. “For me the breath really is the tool which allows you to understand what’s happening on the mental level and what’s happening on the emotional level, and it also allows you to measure what’s happening on a physical level.”- Paul Harvey.
36. “Each generation imagines that we’re all going to hell. Each generation goes through a little hell and comes out heat tempered and better than before.”- Paul Harvey
37. “Now you know the rest of the story.”- Paul Harvey
38. “? might make a really good Christmas present for the uninformed. The book is called ‘Taking America Back.'”- Paul Harvey
39. “In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these.”- Paul Harvey
40. “Growth is the process of responding positively to change.”- Paul Harvey
41. “Communism has defeated itself everywhere except… in American colleges.”- Paul Harvey
42. “If ‘pro’ is the opposite of ‘con’ what is the opposite of ‘progress’?”- Paul Harvey
43. “Luck is a word used to describe the success of people you don’t like.”- Paul Harvey
44. “If we cannot count on ourselves to do the right thing how can we count on anyone or anything else? Self-government won’t work without self-discipline.”- Paul Harvey
45. “Stay in your seat come times of trouble. Its only people who jump off the roller coaster who get hurt.”- Paul Harvey
46. “Golf is a game where you score a 6, yell “Fore” and write down a 5.”- Paul Harvey
47. “In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like these.”- Paul Harvey
48. “Like what you do. If you don’t like it, do something else.”- Paul Harvey
49. “The indignation of politicians is not a good measure of the gravity of any situation.”- Paul Harvey
50. “Golf is a game in which you yell ‘fore,’ shoot six, and write down five.”- Paul Harvey
Paul Harvey Video
This is one of Paul’s most popular messages. It has a strong Christian perspective about what was happening to American society at the time. Regardless of your own personal beliefs, this audio recording will give you a flavor of what Paul Harvey’s radio monologues sounded like.
Related: Ronald Reagan’s Best Quotes
Paul Harvey was on the radio for decades and one of the first prominent radio personalities. He said many things that were quotable. Anyone younger than 50 won’t know who he was. But if you ask someone that is older than 60, they usually have fond memories of him from the beginning of the radio days.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.