A beautiful collection of 50 personal growth quotes to lift your spirits and help guide your way through life.
When we read the words created by others, they sometimes connect us with a higher power greater than ourselves. And upon the transmission of that which they’ve written, you become more attuned with the universal whole. Opening up a powerful portal of love that endures both space and time.
I find great joy in quotes that speak to my heart; as if they were waiting for me to see them at that particular moment. And if you keep an open mind, they can empower you in some unique way that’s new to you.
Personal Growth Quotes
1. “One can choose to go back toward safety or forward toward growth. Growth must be chosen again and again; fear must be overcome again and again.” — Abraham Maslow
2. “Take responsibility for your own happiness, never put it in other people’s hands.” — Roy T. Bennett
3. “The only journey is the journey within.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
4. “What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make.” — Jane Goodall
5. “Do not let the memories of your past limit the potential of your future. There are no limits to what you can achieve on your journey through life, except in your mind.” — Roy T. Bennett
6. “Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.” — Bruce Lee
7. “Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.” — Albert Einstein
8. “We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.” — Kurt Vonnegut
9. “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” — Viktor Frankl
10. “Stay afraid, but do it anyway. What’s important is the action. You don’t have to wait to be confident. Just do it and eventually, the confidence will follow.” — Carrie Fisher
11. “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” — Mark Twain
12. “Life isn’t about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.” — George Bernard Shaw
13. “The swiftest way to triple your success is to double your investment in personal development.” — Robin Sharma
14. “It’s your life; you don’t need someone’s permission to live the life you want. Be brave to live from your heart.” — Roy T. Bennett
15. “They must often change who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.” — Confucius
16. “Don’t go through life, grow through life.” — Eric Butterworth
17. “How wonderful it is that nobody needs to wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” — Anne Frank
18. “We must become the change we want to see.” — Mahatma Gandhi
19. “We can’t become what we need to be by remaining what we are.” — Oprah Winfrey
20. “Forgive the past. It is over. Learn from it and let go. People are constantly changing and growing. Do not cling to a limited, disconnected, negative image of a person in the past. See that person now. Your relationship is always alive and changing.” — Brian Weiss
21. “We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” — Will Durant
22. “Life’s challenges are not supposed to paralyze you, they’re supposed to help you discover who you are.” — Bernice Johnson Reagon
23. “Treat everyone with politeness and kindness, not because they are nice, but because you are.” — Roy T. Bennett
24. “What lies behind us and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson
25. “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” — Amelia Earhart
26. Vulnerability is the birthplace of love, belonging, joy, courage, empathy, and creativity. It is the source of hope, empathy, accountability, and authenticity. If we want greater clarity in our purpose or deeper and more meaningful spiritual lives, vulnerability is the path.” — Brené Brown
27. “A good criterion for measuring success in life is the number of people you have made happy.” — Robert J. Lumsden
28. “People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do.” — Rob Siltanen
29. “It isn’t what you have or who you are or where you are or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about it.” — Dale Carnegie
30. “Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.” — Bruce Lee
31. “It is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default.” — J.K. Rowling
32. “Attitude is a choice. Happiness is a choice. Optimism is a choice. Kindness is a choice. Giving is a choice. Respect is a choice. Whatever choice you make makes you. Choose wisely.” — Roy T. Bennett
33. “Be humble always and identify with the common man; even when success and achievements want to make you proud.” — Bishop Leonard Umunna
34. “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” — Mark Twain
35. “Simplicity, patience, compassion. These three are your greatest treasures. Simple in actions and thoughts, you return to the source of being. Patient with both friends and enemies, you accord with the way things are. Compassionate toward yourself, you reconcile all beings in the world.” — Lao Tzu
36. “Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.” — Dr. Seuss
37. “There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” — Edith Wharton
38. “Reality is a projection of your thoughts or the things you habitually think about.” — Stephen Richards
39. “Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.” — Helen Keller
40. “We should not judge people by their peak of excellence, but by the distance, they have traveled from the point where they started.” — Henry Ward Beecher
41. “Happiness comes from within. It is not dependent on external things or on other people. You become vulnerable and can be easily hurt when your feelings of security and happiness depend on the behavior and actions of other people. Never give your power to anyone else.” — Brian Weiss
42. “God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.” — Reinhold H. Niebuhr
43. “Just don’t give up trying to do what you really want to do. Where there are love and inspiration, I don’t think you can go wrong.” — Ella Fitzgerald
44. “Live the Life of Your Dreams: Be brave enough to live the life of your dreams according to your vision and purpose instead of the expectations and opinions of others.” — Roy T. Bennett
45. “People tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that will descend like fine weather if you’re fortunate. But happiness is the result of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly.” — Elizabeth Gilbert
46. “Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, try to learn from it. Otherwise, let it roll right off you.” — Hillary Clinton
47. “Come from the heart, the true heart, not the head. When in doubt, choose the heart. This does not mean to deny your own experiences and that which you have empirically learned through the years. It means to trust yourself to integrate intuition and experience. There is a balance, a harmony to be nurtured, between the head and the heart. When the intuition rings clear and true, loving impulses are favored.” — Brian Weiss
48. “The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.” — William Arthur Ward
49. “Sometimes in life, we take a leap of faith. Remember, the leap is not about getting from one side to the other. It’s simply about taking the leap…and trusting the air, the universal breath, will support your wings so that you may sour.” — Kristi Bowman
50. “The true measure of a man is not how he behaves in moments of comfort and convenience but how he stands at times of controversy and challenges.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
As spoken by Bessie Anderson Stanley, “He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much.”. These words of wisdom can very well lead you the positive to self-transformation and happiness!
Whether you are in pursuit of new horizons or seeking to change your life for the better, patience plays a big part in seeing you through. That, along with the above Personal Growth quotes, can help you meet your goals and provide you with motivation for a brighter future ahead.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.