As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Stephanie Lynn Nicks, who is known to all of us as Stevie Nicks is an American singer and songwriter. She was born on May 26, 1948 and has been referred to as the ” Queen Of Rock and Roll.” She is famous for her work with the Fleetwood Mac band, collaborations with Tom Petty, Don Henley and others – and also as a solo artist. Her distinctive voice symbolic lyrics and stage persona and poetic are outstanding. She released her first solo album Bella Donna in 1981 which peaked at number one on the US Billboard Charts.
Stevie Nicks went on to become one of the most decorated female artists of the 1970s and the decades that followed through fashion, music, songwriting, and incredible performances on the stage. Stunningly, Nick has been included among the 55 top songwriters of all time and also in the top 100 greatest singers of all time. This clearly shows her place in the history of modern western music.
Nicks has garnered two American Music Award nominations and eight Grammy Awards nominations. Below is a collection of motivational thoughts, words, and quotes by this remarkable singer. Read through the entire quotes and they will surely be an inspiration to you.
Stevie Nicks Quotes
1. “You know, the man of my dreams might walk round the corner tomorrow. I’m older and wiser and I think I’d make a great girlfriend. I live in the realm of romantic possibility.”– Stevie Nicks
2. “It was my 16th birthday – my mom and dad gave me my Goya classical guitar that day. I sat down, wrote this song, and I just knew that that was the only thing I could ever really do – write songs and sing them to people.”– Stevie Nicks
3. “When you’re in a band with three writers, three great writers, you only get one third of the writer thing. So that’s the whole reason that I did a solo career. And that’s, you know, when I told Fleetwood Mac I was going to do that, they were of course terrified that I would do that record and then that I would quit.”– Stevie Nicks
4. “I am pretty fearless, and you know why? Because I don’t handle fear very well; I’m not a good terrified person.”– Stevie Nicks
5. “Even in my really bad, drugged-out days, I didn’t go away. I still toured, still did interviews. I never gave up the fight. That’s why I’m who I am today, because I didn’t leave. And I think I made the right choice.”– Stevie Nicks
6. “You know, the man of my dreams might walk round the corner tomorrow. I’m older and wiser and I think I’d make a great girlfriend. I live in the realm of romantic possibility.”– Stevie Nicks
7. “We don’t need to have somebody that’s gonna make sure they pay for our market bills. It’s like we have only one reason to love and that is for the real idea of love.”– Stevie Nicks
8. “My generation fought very hard for feminism, and we fought very hard to not be labeled as you had to have a husband or you had to be in a relationship, or you were somehow not a cool chick.”– Stevie Nicks
9. “Most women would not be happy being me. People say, ‘But you’re alone.’ But I don’t feel alone. I feel very un-alone.”– Stevie Nicks
See also: Grateful Dead’s Best Quotes
10. “I preferred not to be laden down with a big instrument. If you’re behind a guitar, you get used to being behind a guitar, and you don’t really perform because you can’t. I wanted to be able to just hold on to the mike and sing.”– Stevie Nicks
11. “Your graciousness is what carries you. It isn’t how old you are, how beautiful you are, or how short your skirt is. What it is, is what comes out of your heart. If you are gracious, you have won the game.”– Stevie Nicks
12. “When you grow up as a girl, the world tells you the things that you are supposed to be: emotional, loving, beautiful, wanted. And then when you are those things, the world tells you they are inferior: illogical, weak, vain, empty.”– Stevie Nicks
13. “As a member of Fleetwood Mac, for two weeks I was still working at the restaurant because I’d given them notice. I didn’t just want to walk in there and say, “‘I’m going to be a famous rock star so I quit and I never liked your food anyway.”– Stevie Nicks
14.” In comparison to the eight years I spent on Klonopin, the cocaine and brandy wins hands down. If you are ever in a drugstore and they put you on Klonopin, run out of there screaming.”– Stevie Nicks
15.” If you can find a passion at a young age, somewhere between fifteen and thirty, if you can find that passion, I can pretty much guarantee you that you can be sixty-five and still love that passion and still have a reason to dance out of bed and down the hall every morning.”– Stevie Nicks
16. “I hated Chris, my brother. I would pull his hair and kick him, until one day my father gave him permission to fight back. I’ll be apologizing to him for the rest of my life.”– Stevie Nicks
17. “I believe that there is a certain amount of mysticism that all women should have, that you should never tell all your secrets, that you should never tell everybody all about you.”– Stevie Nicks
18. “You don’t need help to write a song. You just need to get over this experience that bummed you out so bad. The relationship you were in is over, it was over a long time ago, and you need to move on.”– Stevie Nicks
19. “I want to be age appropriate. I don’t want to be that girl you see walking away and she looks 25 and then she turns around and she looks 90.”– Stevie Nicks
20. “Men are going to go out on the road and they’re going to find other women. So if you really want to save yourself a whole lot of heartache, do not fall in love with somebody in a band. Just don’t.”– Stevie Nicks
21. “Do you want to be an artist and a writer, or a wife and a lover? With kids, your focus changes. I don’t want to go to PTA meetings.”– Stevie Nicks
22. “If you have stage fright, it never goes away. But then I wonder: is the key to that magical performance because of the fear?”– Stevie Nicks
23.” I’m going to be singing Dreams and Rhiannon when I’m 75 – and that’s just fine with me. I just hope my chiffon doesn’t get tangled in my rocking chair.”– Stevie Nicks
24. “If you see somebody running down the street naked every single day, you stop looking up.”– Stevie Nicks
25. “It’s the first time I can ever remember being scared that the United States might mess up and something terrible will happen to us.”– Stevie Nicks
26. “If the sun warms up the rain, and the rain puts out the sun. Why does the greatest love become the greatest pain?”– Stevie Nicks
27. “There is a part of me that has to depend on fantasy, because if you can’t be somewhat of a fantasy person, then you can’t write.”– Stevie Nicks
28. “And the moon never beams Without bringing me dreams And the sun never shines But I see the bright eyes I lie down by the side Of my darling My life, my life.”– Stevie Nicks
29. “I love leather and I love lace, but not necessarily together. I’m probably happiest in a long black velvet dress, black suede boots, and some kind of really beautiful wrap than I am in anything else. I don’t even own a pair of jeans.”– Stevie Nicks
30. “I am pretty fearless, and you know why? Because I don’t handle fear very well; I’m not a good terrified person.”– Stevie Nicks
See also: Jim Morrison’s Best Quotes
31. “I watched Janis one time – we opened for her – and that’s the only time I ever saw her. We opened for Jimi Hendrix. I got to stand on the side of the stage and watch him for two hours and then he died. But I got the essence before they left.”– Stevie Nicks
32. “Singing is the love of my life, but I was ready to give it all up because I couldn’t handle people talking about how fat I was.”– Stevie Nicks
33. “Everything on this record is what I really wanted to say, and I’m back to being the poet I always thought I was.”– Stevie Nicks
34. “Little girls think it’s necessary to put all their business on MySpace and Facebook, and I think it’s a shame…I’m all about mystery.”– Stevie Nicks
35. “Even in my really bad, drugged-out days, I didn’t go away. I still toured, still did interviews. I never gave up the fight. That’s why I’m who I am today, because I didn’t leave. And I think I made the right choice.”– Stevie Nicks
36. “I made a conscious decision that I was not going to have children. I didn’t want others raising them, and looking after them myself would get in the way of being a musician and writer.”– Stevie Nicks
37. “I’ve laid down with love and woke up with lies. What’s it all, worth only the heart can measure.”– Stevie Nicks
38. “We are just as a good as men are – and maybe better and smarter.”– Stevie Nicks
39. “If you want to find somebody and you want to be married and you want to have children, don’t make it a rock star.”– Stevie Nicks
40. “I hope that my niece in 20 years is going to say to me, ‘Aunt Stevie, what was with your hair?”– Stevie Nicks
Video: Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around
This is one of Stevie’s most famous – and most awesome – collaborations. The is from her 1981 album.
Definitely worth a watch if you want to see Stevie in her prime!
Related: Janis Joplin’s Best Quotes
Stevie Nicks is famed for her symbolic chanteuse image. Nick has enjoyed great success as the vocalist of Fleetwood Mac as well as a solo artist. Throughout the years’ Nicks has kept journals with recordings of her memories, but specifically the fantastic ones so that her granddaughters and niece will come to read them one day.
The above 40 quotes by Stevie Nicks will help you stay positive and see life with an open-minded mentality.
If you want to learn more about Stevie, we recommend you read her autobiography Gold Dust Woman – it will take you a fascinating journey through her life.