Big Trouble in Little China is a 1986 American movie that has become a bit of a cult classic. It is perhaps best described as a dark comedy with martial arts. It had a famous cast including Kurt Russell, Kim Cattrall, James Hong and Dennis Dun. And it was directed by John Carpenter.
The movie is from the perspective of Jack Burton (Kurt Rusell’s character) who helps his friend Wang Chi rescue his green eyed fiancé from bandits in San Francisco’s Chinatown. The fiancé has been kidnapped because her green eyes were thought to help lift an old curse that has been there for centuries.
When they get below Chinatown there is a mysterious underworld. There they encounter David Lo Pan, an ancient sorcerer who has to marry a woman with green eyes to marry him in order to release him from this centuries old curse.
Despite the famous director and cast, the movie was considered a commercial “failure” as it only grossed $11.1 million in North America which was well below it’s estimated budget that was rumored to be between $19-25 Million. But the movie became very popular later and emerged as a “cult classic” with a 78% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.
Throughout this movie, there are many hilarious quotes and since you requested them, we gathered up the best ones for you.
Big Trouble in Little China Quotes
If this is a question you have been asking yourself, you are in luck. In this article is a detailed article on some of the best quotes mentioned this movie.
1.What the hell does that mean? Huh? China is here; I don’t even know what the hell that means; all I know is this “Lo Pan” character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds. He stands there waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with light coming out of his mouth!”
2.Just remember what ol’ Jack Burton does when the earthquakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol’ storm right square in the eye and he says, “Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.
3. Now I’m not saying that I’ve been everywhere and I’ve done everything, but I do know it’s a pretty amazing planet we live on, and a man would have to be some kind of FOOL to think we’re alone in THIS universe.
4. When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, looks you crooked in the eye, and asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol’ Jack Burton always says at a time like that: “Have ya paid your dues, Jack?” “Yessir, the check is in the mail.”
5. We shook the pillars of Heaven, didn’t we, Wang?
6. Would you stop rubbing your body up against mine? Because I can’t concentrate when you do that…
7. I took something. I can see things no one else can see. Why’re you dressed like that?
8. All I know is that this Lo-Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds while he just STANDS there waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!
9. May the wings of liberty never lose a feather.
10.Well, you see, I’m not saying that I’ve been everywhere, and I have done everything. But I do know it’s a pretty amazing planet we live on here, and a man would have to be some kind of fool to think we’re all alone in this universe.
11. Hey, I’m a reasonable guy. But I’ve just experienced some very unreasonable things.
12. You just listen to the old Pork Chop Express here now and take his advice on a dark and stormy night when the lightning’s crashin’ and the thunder’s rollin’ and the rain are coming down in sheets thick as a lead. Just remember what old Jack Burton does when the earthquakes and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big old storm right square in the eye and he says, “Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.”
13. Honey, I never drive faster than I can see. Besides that, it’s all in the reflexes.
14. Okay, I get the picture White Tigers, Lords of Death, guys in funny suits throwing plastic explosives while poison arrows fall from the sky and the pillars of Heaven shake, huh? Sure, okay, I see Charlie Chan, Fu Manchu, and a hundred howlin’ monkey temples, and that’s just for starters, right? Fine! I’m back! I’m ready, goddammit, let me at ’em!
15. What does that mean? Huh? “China is here.” I don’t even know what the hell that means.
16. Are you crazy… Is that your problem.
17. Mr. Burton, if you influence your youthful friend, you’d better exert it now! Otherwise, I will have both of you rowed off to the hell where people are skinned alive! It’s that simple, understand?!
18. Who are these people? Friends of yours, huh?! Now, this really pisses me off to no end!
19. This is Jack Burton in the Pork Chop Express, and I’m talking to whoever’s listening’ out there.
20. Only a dream can kill a dream.
21. Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning. And if we’re not back by dawn… call the president.
22. This place is my tomb. I’m buried here. A young man, a king, a warrior, is entombed in this old man’s crippled body. And all I need is a woman, Mr. Burton, a special kind of woman with dragon-green eyes, to make me whole and young again, so that I may rule the universe from beyond this grave!
23. Here’s to the Army and Navy and the battles they have won; here’s to America’s colors, the colors that never run.
24. Try to find a big reason before you visit world of magic…
25. I’m going to tell you about my truck, and I DON’T want to hear “act of God”!
26. There are always others, are there not? You seem to be one who knows the difficulties between men and women, how seldom it works out. And yet we all keep trying, like fools!
27. Tall guy, weird clothes, first you see him, then you don’t.
28. . I feel good, and I’m not scared at all. I just feel kind of . . . kind of invincible . . . Is it getting hot in here, or is it just me?
29. Everybody relaxes, I’m here.
30. We take what we want and leave the rest, just like your salad bar.
Big Trouble in Little China – Video
This is a very popular video clip that shows “10 Things You Didn’t Know About Big Trouble in Little China.” I learned a lot from watching this. There is so much backstory to this movie that I didn’t know before watching this clip. Enjoy!
Big Trouble in Little China is a hilarious movie from a different era. We hope these quotes have either inspired you to watch the movie for the first time. Or if you have seen it before, hopefully these quotes will inspire you to watch it again.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.