You’ll find two kinds of folk in this world; those who love to cook and those who love eating the chef’s cuisine! I’m sure you know a person who finds it an effort to cook something as simple as mac & cheese or even rice. Regardless of your cooking level, everyone is deserving of a healthy delicious meal made from the heart.
Sometimes all it takes is a few encouraging words and, voila, you’re finding your inner-cook blossoming into an exquisite #1 chef. With that in mind, we’ve compiled 45 top quotes about cooking. Some you’ll find funny, while others will help to get your culinary juices flowing.
We invite you to browse through our collection and see which ones vibe with your inner cooking spirit. And when you find them, break out a pen and tablet. Jotting them down for future reference in case you get the chef’s cooking blockage. Now, without further ado, here’s our list of the best cooking quotes!
Our Favorite Quotes About Cooking
1. “The only real stumbling block is the fear of failure. In cooking you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude.” — Julia Child
2. “That’s what I thought you said.” Isabelle turned her attention to the soup.” — Cassandra Clare
3. “If you can organize your kitchen, you can organize your life.” — Louis Parrish
4. “What my mother believed about cooking is that if you worked hard and prospered, someone else would do it for you.” — Nora Ephron
5. “If you knew how to cook, maybe I would eat,” — Jace
6. “I have a passion for not cooking.” — Unknown Author
7. “Cooking today is a young man’s game, I don’t give a bollocks what anyone says.” — Gordon Ramsay
8. “I’m just someone who likes cooking and for whom sharing food is a form of expression.” — Maya Angelou
9. “I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.” — W.C. Fields
10. “The secret ingredient is love.” — Unknown Author
11. “No one who cooks cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice, and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers.” — Laurie Colwin
12. “He’d noticed that sex bore some resemblance to cookery: it fascinated people, they sometimes bought books full of complicated recipes and interesting pictures, and sometimes when they were really hungry they created vast banquets in their imagination – but at the end of the day they’d settle quite happily for egg and chips. If it was well done and maybe had a slice of tomato.” — Terry Pratchett
13. “My cooking is fabulous even the smoke alarm is cheering on me on.” — Unknown Author
14. “I think preparing food and feeding people brings nourishment not only to our bodies but to our spirits. Feeding people is a way of loving them, in the same way, that feeding ourselves is a way of honoring our own creativeness and fragility.” — Shauna Niequist
15. “An idealist is one who, on noticing that a rose smells better than a cabbage, concludes that it makes a better soup.” — H.L. Mencken
16. “The only reason I have a kitchen is that it came with the house!” — Unknown Author
17. “The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been found.” — Calvin Trillin
18. “Calvin: Why are you crying mom? Mom: I’m cutting up an onion. Calvin: It must be hard to cook if you anthropomorphize your vegetables.” — Bill Watterson
19. “I won’t be impressed with technology until I can download food.” — Unknown Author
20. “In France, cooking is a serious art form and a national sport.” — Julia Child
21. “There is no spectacle on earth more appealing than that of a beautiful woman in the act of cooking dinner for someone she loves.” — Thomas Wolfe
22. “A recipe has no soul, you as the cook must bring soul to the recipe.” — Thomas Keller
23. “Cooking is like snow skiing: If you don’t fall at least 10 times, then you’re not skiing hard enough.” — Guy Fieri
24. “We had this big grill at his house, and I remember, one night he said, ‘Sam, tonight you’re feeding us,’ He showed me how to push on the middle of the steaks to see how done they were, and how to sear them fast on each side to keep the juices in.” “And they were awesome, weren’t they?” “I burned the hell out of them,” I said, matter-of-fact. “I’d compare them to charcoal, but charcoal is still sort of edible.” — Maggie Stiefvater
25. “My mom’s favorite thing to make for dinner is RESERVATIONS.” — Unknown Author
26. “Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all.” — Harriet Van Horne
27. “Vegetarians and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans … are the enemies of everything good and decent in the human spirit.” — Anthony Bourdain
28. “Three words more beautiful for a married woman than I love you. (NO COOKING TODAY)” — Unknown Author
29. “If cooking becomes an art form rather than a means of providing a reasonable diet, then something is clearly wrong.” — Tom Jaine
30. “Alaska decided to go help Dolores with dinner. She said that it was sexist to leave the cooking to the women, but better to have good sexist food than crappy boy-prepared food.” — John Green
31. “Why yes, I’ve discovered the JOY of cooking. It’s when my husband does it.” — Unknown Author
32. “Cooking is actually quite aggressive and controlling and sometimes, yes, there is an element of force-feeding going on.” — Nigella Lawson
33. “Always start out with a larger pot than what you think you need.” — Julia Child
34. “There is no sincerer love than the love of food.” — George Bernard Shaw
35. “I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and say to myself “well, that’s not going to happen.” — Rita Rudner
36. “Cooking is at once child’s play and adult joy. And cooking done with care is an act of love.” — Craig Claiborne
37. “Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.” — Jim Davis
38. “Cooking is one failure after another, and that’s how you finally learn.” — Julia Child
39. “Anyone who thinks they’re too grown-up or too sophisticated to eat caramel corn is not invited to my house for dinner” — Ruth Reichl
40. “Homemade with love. In other words, I licked the spoon and kept using it.” — Unknown Author
41. “My two rules of cooking: keep it fresh and keep it simple.” — Michael Isabella
42. “Maybe the cat has fallen into the stew, or the lettuce has frozen, or the cake has collapsed. Eh, bien, tant pis. Usually, one’s cooking is better than one thinks it is. And if the food is truly vile, then the cook must simply grit her teeth and bear it with a smile, and learn from her mistakes.” — Julia Child
43. “If you really want to make a friend, go to someone’s house and eat..The people who give you their food give you their heart.” — Unknown Author
44. “The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love for those you are cooking for.” — Sophia Loren
45. “If God had intended us to follow recipes, He wouldn’t have given us grandmothers.” — Linda Henley
Related: Delicious Quotes about Chocolate
Basic Cooking Skills with Gordon Ramsey
This is an amazing, quick and free refresher on some basic cooking skills. Watching this will give you some skills you can learn and apply in just a few minutes.
And everyone who eats your food will thank you.
Related: Wolfgang Puck’s Best Quotes
Did any of those Cooking quotes catch your attention? If so, make sure to write them down for future culinary inspiration! Whether you’re into baking, stir-frying, or trying out new recipes, as long as it’s done from the heart, you can never fail.
We hope that you enjoyed our delightful collection and have success in your future cooking endeavors.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.