A good neighbor is more than a friendly acquaintance you greet every morning before going for a run! You are regularly in contact with your neighbors, exchanging views and opinions about different ways to improve the community. If you or your neighbor is not friendly or cooperative, it can disturb the peace and harmony of other houses on the block.
If you aren’t sure how to become a good neighbor and achieve peace in the neighborhood, we present 43 good neighbor quotes to help you comprehend their importance. Read on to learn the qualities of a good neighbor and why it is essential to become one!
Inspiring Good Neighbor Quotes
1. “The good neighbor looks beyond the external accidents and discerns those inner qualities that make all men human and, therefore, brothers.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
2. “Good fences make good neighbors.” — Robert Frost
3. “Help me, O Lord, that my hands may be merciful and filled with good deeds, so that I may do only good to my neighbors.” — Mary Faustina Kowalska
4. “If you burn your neighbor’s house down, it doesn’t make your house look any better.” — Holtz
5. “A good neighbor is a fellow who smiles at you over the back fence but doesn’t climb over it.” — Arthur Baer
6. “Never regret a day in your life: good days give happiness, bad days give experience, worst days give lessons, and best days give memories.” — Anonymous
7. “People glorify all sorts of bravery except the bravery they might show on behalf of their nearest neighbors.” — George Eliot
8. “Conscience represents a fetich to which good people sacrifice their own happiness, bad people their neighbors’.” — Ellen Glasgow
9. “People are almost always better than their neighbors think they are.” — George Eliot
10. “If you wish to befriend someone, look for a person who loves first God and then themselves. If they love God, they will be able to love their neighbor, too.” Peter Deunov
11. “Being a good neighbor is an art which makes life richer.” — Gladys Taber
12. “You shall love your neighbor. With your crooked heart, It says so much about love and brokenness – it’s perfect.” — John Green
13. “Definition of good neighbor: someone to be trusted; a courteous, friendly source of help when help is needed; someone you can count on; someone who cares.” — Rust, Jr.
14. “A nation is a society united by a delusion about its ancestry and by common hatred of its neighbors.” — William Inge
15. “A book may be compared to your neighbor: if it be good, it cannot last too long; if bad, you cannot get rid of it too early.” — Rupert Brooke
16. “You can change friends but not neighbors.” — Atal Bihari Vajpayee
17. “Good neighbors always spy on you to make sure you are doing well.” — Pawan Mishra
18. “All men are born firstly with the instinct to protect themselves. But few grow to really love themselves, and even fewer learn to love their neighbor as themselves.” — Criss Jami
19. “The only time you look in your neighbor’s bowl is to make sure that they have enough. You don’t look in your neighbor’s bowl to see if you have as much as them.” — Louis C.K.
20. “The happiest people I know are people who don’t even think about being happy. They just think about being good neighbors, good people. And then happiness sort of sneaks in the back window while they are busy doing good.” — Harold S. Kushner
21. “A good life depends on the strength of our relationships with family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, and strangers.” — David Lammy
22. “Don’t throw stones at your neighbors if your own windows are glass.” — Benjamin Franklin
23. “A bad neighbor is as great a calamity as a good one is a great advantage.” — Hesiod
24. “One must love God first, and only then can one love one’s closest of kin and neighbors. We must not be idols to one another, for such is not the will of God.” — Elder Thaddeus of Vitovnica
25. “They who are all things to their neighbors cease to be anything to themselves.” — Norman Douglas
26. “In the older folklore, faeries were frightening beings. In fact, it was such a bad idea to get their attention that people would use flattering euphemisms for them, such as ‘the people of peace,’ ‘the little people,’ and ‘the good neighbors.’” — Holly Black
27. “A good neighbor sometimes cuts your morning up to mince-meat of the very smallest talk, then helps to sugar her bohea at night with your reputation.” — Elizabeth Barrett Browning
28. “We all have neighbors. Greet them on the sidewalk or in the elevator, but try not to peer through their windows. Windows are to look out from, not into.” — Alexandra Stoddard
29. “All will concede that in order to have good neighbors, we must also be good neighbors. That applies in every field of human endeavor.” — Harry S. Truman
30. “If we don’t live in the same vibe, it is hard to be aware of each other. When our reading differs from our neighbors’ reality, our surroundings may take a range of discordant shades, and daily episodes become unrecognizable. But if we endeavor to find out the “who is who,” the “what is what,” and the “where is Waldo,” we might demonstrate our social literacy and connectedness.” — Erik Pevernagie
31. “Maintenance of good relations with the neighbors, friendship to all, malice to none is the policy I pursue throughout my life.” — Sheikh Hasina
32. “We make our friends; we make our enemies, but God makes our next-door neighbor.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
33. “In heaven, there are two distinct loves, love to the Lord and love towards the neighbor, in the innermost or third heaven love to the Lord, in the second or middle heaven love towards the neighbor.” — Emanuel Swedenborg
34. “Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.” — Benjamin Franklin
35. “Never put much confidence in such as putting no confidence in others. A man prone to suspect evil is mostly looking in his neighbor for what he sees in himself. As to the pure, all things are pure, even so to the impure all things are impure.” — J. C. Hare
36. “I want you to be concerned about your next-door neighbor. Do you know your next-door neighbor?” — Mother Teresa
37. “Some people automatically associate morality and altruism with a religious vision of the world. But I believe it is a mistake to think that morality is an attribute only of religion. We can imagine two types of spirituality: one tied to religion, while the other arises spontaneously in the human heart as an expression of love for our neighbors and a desire to do them good.” — Dalai Lama
38. “In the Spirit which draws us into honest engagement with one another, including those who may be very different from us in various ways, God calls us to wake up and learn how to love and respect one another, period.” — Carter Heyward
39. “Your next-door neighbor is not a man; he is an environment. He is the barking of a dog; he is the noise of a piano; he is a dispute about a party wall; he is drains that are worse than yours, or roses that are better than yours.” — Chesterton
40. “Happiness is a by-product of wanting something more than happiness to be rightly related to God and our neighbor.” — Timothy Keller
41. “Do you wish to be free? Then above all things, love God, love your neighbor, love one another, love the common weal; then you will have true liberty.” — Girolamo Savonarola
42. “When you love the Lord, you long to glorify Him and see the nation fall at His feet in worship. When you love your neighbor as yourself, you share the gospel with him and seek to meet his needs in every way you can, which includes seeing him fall at Jesus’ feet in thanksgiving for salvation.” — David Sills
43. “The world is full of fools and faint hearts; and yet everyone has courage enough to bear the misfortunes, and wisdom enough to manage the affairs of his neighbor.” — Benjamin Franklin
The Unseen Value of Being a Good Neighbor | Michael Wood-Lewis | TEDxStowe
In this inspiring talk, Michael Wood-Lewis shares what he’s learned about community from nearly two decades of running online neighborhood forums. It’s not what you’d expect! You don’t have to be a good neighbor (although we should all try!) Just witnessing neighborliness is enough to build strong communities.
We hope these good neighbor quotes have helped you see how important it is to have decent neighbors. Having a kind and loving neighbor is a blessing each one of us should cherish for as long as they are there. Being a good neighbor yourself is even better, as it helps you create better relationships with people who live close to you. If you want to build a harmonious society and enjoy a happy living environment, be a good neighbor and keep good people close.
40 Bad Friends Quotes to Find the Real Ones
102 Daughter to Father Quotes for Inspire Great Relationships
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.