A “May-December Relationship” refers to a relationship between persons with significant age difference. This May-December name is usually used in reference to the difference between seasons, with December symbolizing old age while May signifies young age.
Traditionally the May-December Relationship has involved an older man and a younger woman, but in recent decades you will see plenty of these relationships with older women and younger men. Think of the movie The Graduate for example in which Dustin Hoffman plays an 18 year old that is seduced by an older women. So, yes, there is more diversity in these relationships than there used to be, but the most common form is still an old man and younger woman. A good example, is the marriage of Anna Nicole Smith (then 27) to J. Howard Marshall, who was an 89 year old billionaire bound to a wheelchair.
If you are in this type of relationship, or just curious, we have put together some of the best quotes about these May-December relationships. Enjoy!
May December Relationships Quotes
1. “[…] Physically I was okay, but facially I started looking… well, the leading ladies were young enough to be my granddaughter, and it becomes disgusting.”- Roger Moore.
2. “I’m not ancient, darling. I’m only fifty. And when it comes to sex, a woman of fifty can often outlast a man half her age.”-Barbara Taylor Bradford.
3. “She is half your age. But I’m guessing that’s the reason that you’ve stayed.”-Adele
4. “Will you love me in December as you do in May, Will you love me in the good old fashioned way? When my hair has all turned gray, Will you kiss me then and say, That you love me in December as you do in May?”-James Walker.
5. “So this was love then—wanting to give only pleasure to the beloved; constantly searching your mind for love tokens that would bring a smile to her lips or sparkle to her eyes. He deeply regretted it had come so late in life, but since his heart’s desire was Eleanor, who was so much younger than he, it could have been no other way. He was grateful it had come at all.”-Virginia Henley
6. “Older men are wiser and that is much cooler to me. Ive never been one for going out clubbing or getting off my head, so I always gravitated to men who were similar. They just tended to be older. I think you have more of an adventure with an older man. And a happier journey.” Emilia Fox
7. You know what they say, darling. When an older man seeks out younger women, he’s virile. When an older woman seeks out younger men, she’s desperate. Well, color me desperate, then. Because I want you, Harris Clayton. And I’m a woman who’s very good at getting what she wants! Now come back to bed, darling, and let’s forget all about everything except the way we feel.” — You know what they say, darling. When an older man seeks out younger women, he’s virile. When an older woman seeks out younger men, she’s desperate. Well, color me desperate, then. Because I want you, Harris Clayton. And I’m a woman who’s very good at getting what she wants! Now come back to bed, darling, and let’s forget all about everything except the way we feel. — Barbara Taylor Bradford
8. “To flatter a young man, tell him that you thought that he was older than he is. To flatter an old woman, tell her that you thought that she was younger than she is.”— Mokokoma Mokhonoana
9. “A woman can make a man feel older or younger than his years if she so chooses. Being a woman is a terribly difficult task since it consists principally in dealing with men. Women were made with a sense of humor so they could love men instead of laughing at them.” — Will Rogers
10. “The stereotype had always been that a younger man would only be interested in an older woman for her money. What else could they want? Mature women in American society were devalued; they couldn’t possibly be interesting or sexy. That was the exclusive domain of the young. Bev had never bought into that reasoning. “— Crystal V. Rhodes
11. “These girls with old gents don’t do it despite the age – they’re drawn to the age, they do it for the age. Why? In Consuela’s case, because the vast difference in age gives her permission to submit, I think. My age and my status give her, rationally, the license to surrender, and surrendering in bed is a not unpleasant sensation. But simultaneously, to give yourself over intimately to a much, much older man provides this sort of younger woman with authority of a kind she cannot get in a sexual arrangement with a younger man. She gets both the pleasures of submission and the pleasures of mastery.” — Philip Roth
12. “It’s interesting, the older I get the younger they get. When I was younger they were all 50 and 60. I’m going to stop there though. I’m heading into dangerous territory if I get any younger.” —Michelle Pfeiffer
13. “I prefer to date older women because they don’t try to act older like younger girls…but because they try to act younger.” Heath Ledger
14. “Well, a younger woman is a type, but not necessarily a type for me. And what is a younger woman? I mean, I’m pretty old. Almost everyone is younger. Jack Nicholson
15. “I’ve been dating younger men since my 20s, When I was 29, I dated someone 21… younger men are just more fun. I like their energy. I’ve always been kind of young for my age.”Dana Delany
16. “The older theory was, marry an older man because they’re more mature. But the new theory is men don’t mature. Marry a younger one.”Rita Rudner
Related: The best “I’m Done” Quotes
17. “I prefer to date older women because they don’t try to act older like younger girls…but because they try to act younger.” Heath Ledger
18. “Well, a younger woman is a type, but not necessarily a type for me. And what is a younger woman? I mean, I’m pretty old. Almost everyone is younger.” Jack Nicholson
19. “I’ve been dating younger men since my 20s, When I was 29, I dated someone 21… younger men are just more fun. I like their energy. I’ve always been kind of young for my age.” Dana Delany
20. “The older theory was, marry an older man because they’re more mature. But the new theory is men don’t mature. Marry a younger one.” Rita Rudner
21. “I started dating older men, and I would fall in love with them. I thought they could teach me about life.” –Daphne Zuniga
22. “I’ve always liked older men. They’re just more attractive to me. Of course, at my age there aren’t that many left!” –Betty White
23. “There are older men with younger women but you don’t see a lot of older women with younger men. There are some women who have been able to do it but not often.” –Tori Amos
24. “All the older men are going for younger women, leaving the women with no one.” –Elisabeth Hasselbeck
Video – 10 Married Celebrities with HUGE Age Differences
This video was a bit of a surprise…it’s a bit of a fun gossipy style review of some famous celebrities you know who have very large age differences between the man and the woman.
Give it a watch – it’s fun and you will learn a few things today!
Age is defined just as a number, and this gives you the potential to explore your relationship. However, it might be difficult for you to experience May December relationship if you allow the age to define you. Recent research has suggested that May December romances are unlikely to have good long term outcomes – i.e. lead to long term relationships. That is because, as the AARP reports, the larger the age gap, the more likely a breakup will occur.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.