As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure for more info.
Southerners and quaint ranching communities consider the word cowboy to be a compliment. Often referring to someone cool, calm, collected, with an endless amount of bravery and testosterone alike. cowboys are born to handle horses, cattle, sheep, and most other livestock. From roping to branding, these good ole boys know how to get the job done!
Our below set of cowboy quotes gain their inspiration from some famous legendary cowboys, both real and fictitious. Including the Duke himself (John Wayne) and Roy Rogers. Whether you’re a boot-wearing avid lover of everything western or need country comfort, this collection is sure to please.
Our Favorite Cowboy Quotes
1. “No man should have cowboys boots in his wardrobe. That’s fair enough, isn’t it? Unless you’re a cowboy, of course.” — Paul Weller
2. “A cowboy would rather throw a bull than eat beans with his knife.” — Charles Dorian
3. “To live is to experience things, not sit around pondering The meaning of life.” — Paulo Coelho
4. “Some cowboys have too much tumbleweed in their blood to settle down.” — Ken Alstad
5. “cowboys are gentlemen who treat women with respect and hard work. They use their manners more than any other man would and Ride horse and bulls like there is no tomorrow.” — Olive Flannery
6. “No matter how you feel. Get up. Look up. Show up. Never give up.” — Unknown Author
7. “If you think bull riding’ isn’t intense, come sit on his back and try on my saddle. This ain’t for tenderfoots.” — Clancy Jean Driscoll
8. “where The leather is scarred, there is a great story to tell.” — Jimmy Tart
9. “A man isn’t born a cowboy…he becomes one.” — Unknown Author
10. “No hour of life is wasted that is spent in The saddle.” — Winston Churchill
11. “we have a sense that we should be like The mythical cowboy, able to take on and conquer anything and live in The world without The need for other people.” — Morrie Schwartz
12. “No matter how educated, talented, rich, or cool you believe you are, how you treat people ultimately tells all. Integrity is everything.” — Unknown Author
13. “No man should have cowboys boots in his wardrobe. That’s fair enough, isn’t it? Unless you’re a cowboy, of course.” — Paul Weller
14. “A cowboy doesn’t Ride a bull for fame and fortune —- He rides for The love of riding.” — Unknown Author
15. “Do not educate your child to be rich. Educate him to be happy. So when he grows up, he’ll know The value of things, not The price.” — Unknown Author
16. “Ride E’m cowboy, don’t let them throw ya down. You can’t make No money If ya hit The ground, Ride E’m cowboy, don’t let them throw ya down, You’re The toughest cowboy in town.” — Juice Newton
17. “A cowboy stays on The job until it gets done, No matter how dark it is outside.” — Unknown Author
18. “We rise, never worry about The fall. I guess that’s just The cowboy in us all.” — unknown Author
19. “When my time comes, just skin me and put me up there on Trigger, just as though nothing had ever changed.” — Roy Rogers
20. “A decent cowboy does not take what belongs to someone else and If he does he deserves to be strung up and left for The flies and coyotes.” — Judge Roy Bean
21. “One day someone will walk into your life and make you see what George strait was talking about in all those love songs.” — Unknown Author
22. “We have a sense that we should be like The mythical cowboy… able to take on and conquer anything and live in The world without The need for other people.” — Morrie Schwartz
23. “A good old rodeo never hurt anyone.” — Taylor Kitsch
24. “In all The world you’ll never find a love as true as mine.” — George Strait
25. “It doesn’t matter If a cowboy lives in The mountains or The flats, as long as it’s warm and there is a place to lay his hat.” — Unknown Author
26. “A real cowboy doesn’t have to say they are a cowboy you know, The smell, The expression, and The heart tells itself.” — Unknown Author
27. “Cowboys don’t go around breaking hearts.” — Missy Lyons
28. “Cowboy is a breed tougher than nails and strong as steel.” — Unknown Author
29. “There is no better place to heal a broken heart than on The back of a horse.” — Missy Lyons
30. ” cowboys are all so tough on The outside, but so sweet and soft on The inside.” — Amber
31. “Cowboying is all I’ve done my whole life.” — Josh Rodriquez
32. “The cowboy must never shoot first, hit a smaller man, or take unfair advantage.” — Unknown Author
33. “Do not go where The path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” — Unknown Author
34. “Tomorrow comes into us at midnight very clean. It’s perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands.” — John Wayne
35. “The horse is a mirror to your soul. And sometimes you might not like what you see in The mirror.” — Buck Brannaman
36. “Every coach has his own style of play, but when you spend your whole life as a cowboy, you have to be influenced by what we did.” —Tom Landry
37. “Life is hard; it’s harder If you’re stupid.” — John Wayne
38. “First buy a cowboy hat and boots. Then you’re on your way to being a Texan.” — James A. Michener
39. “Everyone has a first love, and mine was The western. When I was a child and dreamed of The movies, it was always as a cowboy on a white horse.” — Franco Nero
40. “Life isn’t always candy, cowboy boots, and horses but it should be.” — Horses and Heels
41. “Let him ride a horse. He’s a cowboy ain’t he.” — Nathanael West
42. “Horses and life, it’s all The same to me.” — Buck Brannaman
43. “God can be heard in The jingle of a spur, The thunder of hooves, and The bawl of a newborn calf.” — Kevin Weatherby
44. “Learn this well, The Last Ride is never The last. And The end is not The end.” — Richard Rowland
45. “I get to actually experience what it would be like to be a psycho, which is not a fun one, or to be a cowboy, or to be a weird character of Some sort. For me, it suits me. It suits my personality. I’m an emotional kind of person anyway.” — Josh Holloway
46. “Cowgirls are God’s wildest angels. They have cowboy hats for halos and horses for wings.” — Unknown Author
47. “I took to The life of a cowboy like a horse takes to oats.” — Clinton McCoy
48. “It’s a lot like nuts and bolts-if The rider’s nuts, The horse bolts!” — Nicholas Evans
49. “If cowboys picked wives like they pick horses they would have lifelong mates.” — Unknown Author
50. “The cowboy No doubt can be regarded as a proud rider, skilled, observant, alert, resourceful, unyielding, daring, punctilious in a code peculiar to his occupation, and faithful to his trust.” — Charles W. Harris
Related: Cowboy Bebop Quotes
I hope those cowboy Quotes helped to bring out your inner cowboy/cowgirl!
For future reference, when in need of a good hearty laugh, I’ll read over quote 37 by John Wayne, “Life is hard; it’s harder If you’re stupid.”! This simple statement is quite humorous, yet makes all too much sense.
Sure, a cowboy’s daily life may seem to be tough, but it’s well worth The effort. As you can tell with The heartfelt words in The above cowboy quotes. I mean, who wouldn’t love being around horses and breathing in The fresh country air?
Related: John Wayne Quotes
Video: What was it like to Be a Wild West Cowboy
Wow, some things were like we were taught as school kids. But other things were quite different.
We learned a TON from watching this video – it’s worth a watch!