May Day is commonly known as the International Labour day and is celebrated on 1st May in the USA UK, India, Scotland and other countries. The day is celebrated to appreciate or rather, honor all the workers and essential labourers in the country.
This day was identified as the International Workers’ Day in the 19th century when there were workers and labour movements. The movement was an eight-hour movement that supported eight hours of work, eight hours of recreation and eight hours of rest. During this day, numerous events and activities are arranged so as to raise the concern about the labourers’ rights.
It is with no doubt that your achievement small or big starts with work. Professional and personal relationship will not progress unless we pull our weight. Work comes with a lot of exhaustion and stress, but it is through this work that we constantly motivate ourselves to even do better. It is through our hardwork that admire our abilities to use our skills and also contribute to making a difference
To incredibly celebrate and honor the labourers on the May Day, there is need to look at some of the most interesting, inspirational and moving, honest quotes on the advantages or rather, importance of hard work as well as the desire to achieve success.
May Day Quotes
1. “My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition.”– Indira Gandhi
2. “Labor disgraces no man; unfortunately, you occasionally find men who disgrace labor.”– Ulysses S. Grant
3. “Today, in the May Day, find a worker and shake his hand with gratitude! Without workers, no civilisation could be built!”– Mehmet Murat ildan
4. “May it never be a footprint that you shall ever say maybe in May. May it instead be a footprint that you shall do your best and rest the rest!”– Ernest Agyemang Yeboah
5. “It was the month of May, the month when the foliage of herbs and trees is most freshly green, when buds ripened and blossoms appear in their fragrance and loveliness. And the month when lovers, subject to the same force which reawakens the plants, feel their hearts open again, recall past trysts and past vows, and moments of tenderness, and yearn for a renewal of the magical awareness which is love.”– Sir Thomas Malory
6. “The big secret in life is that there is no big secret. Whatever your goal, you can get there if you’re willing to work.”– Oprah Winfrey
7. “When you put a lot of hard work into one goal and you achieve it, that’s a really good feeling.”– Derek Jeter
8. “Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.”– Steve Jobs
10. “Whatever you want to do, if you want to be great at it, you have to love it and be able to make sacrifices for it.”– Maya Angelou
11. “I remember, when I went away to college at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, my aunt sent me a book with the rules of being a Southern Belle. One of the rules was to never wear white after Labor Day. Fashion has a lot to do with confidence and making up your own rules.”– Kourtney Kardashian
12. “The King Holiday is a celebration of many things – his pursuit of racial justice, his commitment to non-violent resistance, his belief in service and doing for others. But you might also call it the other Labor Day.”– Tom Perez
13. “Summer is not obligatory. We can start an infernally hard jigsaw puzzle in June with the knowledge that, if there are enough rainy days, we may just finish it by Labor Day, but if not, there’s no harm, no penalty. We may have better things to do.”– Nancy Gibbs
14. “When you have a country that can boast that more than 95 percent of its eligible workforce is employed and pumping money back into economy, that’s exceptionally good news, especially as we prepare to observe Labor Day.”–J.d. Hayworth
15. “No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”– Martin Luther King, Jr
16. “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.”– Confucius
17. “As full of spirit as the month of May, and as gorgeous as the sun in Midsummer.”– William Shakespeare
18. “Long stormy spring-time, wet contentious April, winter chilling the lap of very May; but at length the season of summer does come.”– Thomas Carlyle
19. “All other holidays are in a more or less degree connected with conflicts and battles of man’s prowess over man, of strife and discord for greed and power, of glories achieved by one nation over another. Labor Dayis devoted to no man, living or dead, to no sect, race, or nation.”– Samuel Gompers
20. “The tendency of taxation is, to create a class of persons, who do not labour: to take from those who do labour the produce of that labour, and to give it to those who do not labour.”– William Cobbett
21. “Eleanor [Marx] was involved in the 1889 Paris congress resolution that established May Day as an annual demonstration of the international solidarity of labour in the demand for a legal eight-hour day.”– Rachel Holmes
22. “The goal of the first International May Day celebrations was the eight-hour working day.”– Rachel Holmes
23. “For working people and union members, Labor Day stands for something special and profound. It’s a day to honor the deep commitment each of us has to serve the children we teach, the families we heal, and the communities we love.”– Randi Weingarten
24. “Each year, Labor Day gives us an opportunity to recognize the invaluable contributions that working men and women make to our nation, our economy and our collective prosperity. It gives us a chance to show gratitude for workers’ grit, dedication, ingenuity and strength, which define our nation’s character.”– Tom Perez
25. “Though President Grover Cleveland declared Labor Day a national holiday in 1894, the occasion was first observed on Sept. 5, 1882, in New York City.”– Brendan Koerner
26. “One cannot rule out a blizzard in Minnesota after Labor Day, and so when I travel for Thanksgiving or any time in the fall, I am careful to fly into Des Moines instead of Minneapolis and then drive the 200 miles north to my hometown.”– Hope Jahren
27. “Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.”– Aristotle
28. “Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration”– Thomas Edison
29. ” I’ve heard of nothing coming from nothing, but I’ve never heard of absolutely nothing coming from hard work.”– Uzo Aduba
30. “You have to fight to reach your dream. You have to sacrifice and work hard for it.”– Lionel Messi
31. “Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.”– Ralph Waldo Emerson
32. “Nothing ever comes to one that is worth having except as a result of hard work.”– Booker T. Washington
33. “The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it.”– Mother Teresa
34. “No human masterpiece has been created without great labor.”– Andre Gide
35. “It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.”– Theodore Roosevelt
36. “I’ve got a really hard election. If you had a really hard election and it was after Labor Day would you go to North Carolina to a bunch of parties and glad-handing or would you stay home and work as hard as you know how to convince Missourians they should rehire you?”– Claire McCaskill
37. “Three times a year, there’s Strategicon convention, and I go for the board games. It happens Presidents Day, Labor Day, and Memorial Day weekends. You go and take a look at the new board games and meet a couple of board game designers, and you can check out games you don’t own from the library and then return them.”– Rich Sommer
38. “Build this day on a foundation of pleasant thoughts. Never fret at any imperfections that you fear may impede your progress. Remind yourself, as often as necessary, that you are a creature of God and have the power to achieve any dream by lifting up your thoughts. You can fly when you decide that you can. Never consider yourself defeated again. Let the vision in your heart be in your life’s blueprint. Smile!”– Og Mandino
39. “Heaven is blest with perfect rest, but the blessing of Earth is toil.”– Henry Van Dyke
40. “Hoeing in the garden on a bright, soft May day, when you are not obligated to, is nearly equal to the delight of going trouting.”– Charles Dudley Warner
Video: May Day History the government Doesn’t Want You to Know
Ah, this is quite interesting and you will learn a lot more about the real history behind May Day. Worth a watch!
Also see Earth Day Quotes
May Day is a very special day to every worker or labourer, since this is the day that their hard work is recognized and appreciated. Governments honor this day by improving the rights of workers to help them leave to their dreams or rather to improve their living standards.
In one way or another, you are a worker and your efforts should no go unidentified. It is through workers that governments are able to collect revenue, thus a nation cannot progress without workers. Reading through the above quotes, you feel appreciate and motivated to even work harder and improve your living standards.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.