Tyr Banks (full name Tyra Lynne Banks) was born in Inglewood, California on December 4, 1973, She rose to fame as a fashion model and has led an interesting and diverse career. She became the face of CoverGirl, and was a Victoria’s Secret Angel, one of their select brand models.
She went on to host her own TV show, The Tyra Banks Show from 2005-2010, hosted America’s Next Top Model from 2003-15 and then from 2017-2018. Most recently she has been the host of America’s Got Talent.
Tyra is an inspiration to young women everywhere. She has literally done it all and has a long career ahead of her. She has said many interesting things and we have assembled our favorite quotes from her to share with you today.
Tyra Bank’s Best Quotes
- “Never dull your shine for somebody else.” — Tyra Banks
- “I always feel great when I don’t have clothes on.” — Tyra Banks
- “I love the confidence that makeup gives me.” — Tyra Banks
- “On ‘America’s Top Model,’ I’ve always told my girls to smile with their eyes. We call it ‘smizing.’ Over the years, it’s actually become part of pop culture. I would be walking down the street, and girls would say, ‘Smize!”-Tyra Banks
- “Stop saying these negative things about yourself. Look in the mirror and find something about yourself that’s positive and celebrate that!” Tyra Banks
- “Flaws are awesome – so, ‘flawsome!’ I love making up a word.” Tyra Banks
- “Self-love has very little to do with how you feel about your outer self. It’s about accepting all of yourself.” Tyra Banks
- “I used to have this joke: ‘Every hallway is a runway.’ Tyra Banks
- “I’ve helped some of my classmates on how to strategize to get to the next level of their businesses. And it’s interesting, because here I am sitting there from the entertainment industry and the fashion industry, and I’m giving a billionaire that has a business that’s been in his family for 300 years – I’m giving him advice about strategy!” Tyra Banks
- “‘Vogue’ has the power to make and break – whether it’s fashion trends, designers, models, and yes, even industry practices.” Tyra Banks
- “One thing my mom used to tell me was to look to the other side, and know that my present is not going to be everything. So if I’m having a bad day, she goes, ‘Just imagine tomorrow. This is going to be over. This is going to be done with.'” Tyra Banks
- I have a big forehead, and I got made fun of all time. When I was a little girl, they used to call me ‘five-head.’ Tyra Banks
- “I’ve always seen modeling as a stepping stone.” Tyra Banks
- “It’s so important to understand your good attendance ups your chances of graduating.” Tyra Banks
- “Sometimes you gotta leave when you’re on top.” Tyra Banks
- “Believe it or not, I don’t wake up looking like a supermodel.” Tyra Banks
- “The fire to inspire women and help them to blaze new paths fiercely burns inside of me.” Tyra Banks
- “Black women have always been these vixens, these animalistic erotic women. Why can’t we just be the sexy American girl next door?” Tyra Banks
- “I don’t go to the cool, trendy restaurants. I go to either the holes in the wall or the super-fancy restaurants where there are no cool people.” Tyra Banks
- “I did an episode on my talk show on cellulite, and I brought seven women into a dressing room at Nordstrom’s in L.A., and we all sat and talked about our cellulite.” Tyra Banks
- “I’m all about zagging when everyone else is zigging.” Tyra Banks
- “I’m trying to build a strong business. I want to create new stars, new shows and new products for my audience and create a legacy that outlives me. There are so many other ways I want to reach women besides doing a talk show.” Tyra Banks
- “My aunt used to call me light bulb head because my head is small at the bottom and bigger at the top. But it was a term of endearment.” Tyra Banks
- “I haven’t seen the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, the Louvre. I haven’t seen anything. I don’t really care. Tyra Banks
- “I don’t want to use the term ‘plus-size,’ because, to me, what the hell is that? It just doesn’t have a positive connotation to it. I tend to not use it.” Tyra Banks
- “It is important for women to feel beautiful when she looks in the mirror, and I tell women, ‘If you don’t feel beautiful, find one thing that you can look in that mirror and say, ‘That is beautiful.’ Tyra Banks
- “I used to say in interviews that I don’t necessarily want to be the first black woman or first model to do certain things; I just want to see it done.” Tyra Banks
- “I’m a perfectionist. Sometimes I have to remind myself that it’s okay if there are flaws here and there.” Tyra Banks
- “I do consider myself a feminist, yeah. Totally.” Tyra Banks
See quotes from other models: Mia Khalifa Quotes and Anna Nicole Smith Quotes
Video: Tyra Banks Best Diva Moments
If you love Tyra, you will LOVE this video. It’s all her craziest, most “diva moments” all in one fun clip!
Tyra has achieved it all and is one of the most famous and well recognized models and celebrities in the world. She started modeling and rose to fame with her own TV shows. She is also a published author, TV producer, and has many other projects and investments. Her most recent high profile gig has been as the host of America’s Got Talent.
If you want to learn more about Tyra, be sure to check out her semi auto biographical novel Modelland and her latest Perfect is Boring.
Image Credit: David Shankbone, CC BY 3.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.