Billy Graham, full name William Franklin Graham Jr, was born on 17th November 1918. He was a famous American Christian Evangelical figure as well as an ordained Southern Baptist minister who became popular internationally in the late 1940s. He is considered one of the most influential evangelists and Christians of the 20th century.
In 1934, Billy was attending a revival meeting by evangelist Mordecai Ham, where he professed his allegiance to Christ. Later in 1936, he left his father’s farm and attended Bob Jones University and later transferred to Florida Bible Institute, currently Trinity College, and in 1940 he was ordained by Southern Baptist Convention as a minister.
Billy Graham’s emergence as an evangelist started at a promising moment for the 20th century Protestant movement. As a preacher, Graham held large both indoor and outdoor rallies and sermons broadcasted on television and radios, and amazingly, some are still being broadcasted in the 21st century.
Billy’s popular appeal came as a result of his exceptional charisma and his simple evangelical message, “anyone who repents of sins and accepts Jesus Christ will be saved.” He had a sophisticated organization known as the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association founded in 1950. It performed extensive works in the form of media coverage, cooperation with political leaders as well as coordination with local churches to offer follow-up programs to new converts.
In 1996, Billy Graham and his wife were awarded the Gold Medal of Honor, which is the highest civilian award granted by the United States. In 2001, Billy was made an Honorary Knight Commander of the British Empire (KBE). He concluded his public career in 2005 with a crusade in Queens, New York. Below is a collection of his famous quotes about Faith, Hope, Jesus Christ, and many other interesting topics.
Billy Graham Quotes
1. “The greatest legacy one can pass on to one’s children and grandchildren is not money or other material things accumulated in one’s life, but rather a legacy of character and faith.”– Billy Graham
2. “The Christian life is not a constant high. I have my moments of deep discouragement. I have to go to God in prayer with tears in my eyes, and say, ‘O God, forgive me,’ or ‘Help me.”– Billy Graham
3. “Make sure of your commitment to Jesus Christ, and seek to follow Him every day. Don’t be swayed by the false values and goals of this world, but put Christ and His will first in everything you do.”– Billy Graham
4. “Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion – it is a daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ.”– Billy Graham
5. “When granted many years of life, growing old in age is natural, but growing old with grace is a choice. Growing older with grace is possible for all who will set their hearts and minds on the Giver of grace, the Lord Jesus Christ.”– Billy Graham
6. “You don’t have to know much when you come to Christ. You don’t have to know the whole Gospel. You don’t have to know the Bible. You just come like you are.”– Billy Graham
7. “The transformed man loves when others hate. He is just when others are prejudiced. He is understanding when others misunderstand and he is poised when others are frantic.”– Billy Graham
8. “If Christianity is important at all, it is all important. If it is anything at all, it is everything. It is either the most vital thing in your life, or it isn’t worth bothering with.”– Billy Graham
9. “In this age with all the emptiness, the loneliness, the anguish, the guilt and the bereavement and the suffering in the world, it is a thrilling thing to know that God is for every person everywhere as individuals.”– Billy Graham
10. “No church is perfect, but don’t let that discourage you. Someone has said that if you ever find one that is, it will stop being perfect the minute you join!”– Billy Graham
11. “One of the joys of heaven. . . will be discovering the hidden ways that God in His sovereignty acted in our lives on earth to protect and guide us [that we might] bring glory to His name, in spite of our frailty.”– Billy Graham
12. “It is entirely possible to be deeply sorry because of the devastation which sin has wrought in our lives – and yet not repent.”– Billy Graham
13. “Surrendering to Christ is like signing your name to a blank check and letting the Lord put in the amount.”– Billy Graham
14. “Do not expect me to fall in with the evil customs and ways of the world. I am in Rome, but I will not do as Rome does. I am an alien, a stranger, and a foreigner. My citizenship is in heaven.”– Billy Graham
15. “Have you ever said, “Well, all we can do now is pray?” . . . When we come to the end of ourselves, we come to the beginning of God.”– Billy Graham
16. “When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost.”– Billy Graham
17. “Joy cannot be pursued. It comes from within. It is a state of being. It does not depend on circumstances, but triumphs over circumstances. It produces a gentleness of spirit and a magnetic personality.”– Billy Graham
18. “I feel sorry for the man who has never known the bracing thrill of taking a stand and sticking to it fearlessly. Moral courage has rewards that timidity can never imagine. Like a shot of adrenaline, it floods the spirit with vitality.”– Billy Graham
Related: Ram Dass Quotes
19. “God proved His love on the Cross. When Christ hung, and bled, and died, it was God saying to the world, ‘I love you.”– Billy Graham
20. “We need to encourage new believers to feed on God’s Word—it is nourishment for the soul.”– Billy Graham
21. “The message I preach hasn’t changed. Circumstances have changed. Problems have changed, but deep inside man has not changed, and the gospel hasn’t changed.”– Billy Graham
22. “Peter preached about [the blood]. Paul wrote about it, and the redeemed in heaven sing about it. In a sense, the New Testament is the Book of the Blood.”– Billy Graham
23. “We are the Bibles the world is reading; we are the creeds the world is needing; we are the sermons the world is heeding.”– Billy Graham
24. “The framers of our Constitution meant we were to have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.”– Billy Graham
25. “Double-mindedness means the faculty of holding two contradictory beliefs in one’s mind and accepting both of them. We talk out of both corners of our mouths at once.”– Billy Graham
26. “World events are moving very rapidly now. I pick up the Bible in one hand, and I pick up the newspaper in the other. And I read almost the same words in the newspaper as I read in the Bible. It’s being fulfilled every day round about us.”– Billy Graham
27. “Comfort and prosperity have never enriched the world as much as adversity has.”– Billy Graham
28. “Auschwitz stands as a tragic reminder of the terrible potential man has for violence and inhumanity.”– Billy Graham
29. “Each generation faces different issues and challenges, but our standard must always be measured by God’s word.”– Billy Graham
30. “The Bible says today is the accepted time, today is the day of salvation… But there will come a time when it will be too late for you.”– Billy Graham
31. “Golden years’ must have been coined by the young. It is doubtful that anyone over seventy would have described this phase of life with such a symbolic word.”– Billy Graham
32. “Sometimes it’s best to start moving in the direction you think God may want you to go, and then trust Him to lead you—closing doors He doesn’t want you to go through and opening up others.”– Billy Graham
33. “Far too many young people coming of age today have no spiritual or emotional roots. They have been deprived of values by an agnostic and contemporary culture.”– Billy Graham
34. “Mark my word, the day is coming when it’s going to cost to live for Jesus Christ. We are, more and more, a minority, and that’s exactly what it was like in the first century.”– Billy Graham
35. “The only sin God cannot forgive is the sin of rejecting Christ. Turn to Him in repentance and faith—and He will forgive.”– Billy Graham
Related: Joseph Campbell’s Best Quotes
36. “There are two ways of being rich—have a lot, or want very little. The latter way is the easier for most.”– Billy Graham
37. “We have two natures within us, both struggling for mastery. Which one will dominate us? It depends on which one we feed.”– Billy Graham
38. “Life is not a matter of dollars and cents, houses and lands, earning capacity and financial achievement. Greed must not be allowed to make man the slave of wealth.”– Billy Graham
39. “There are three of you. There is the person you think you are. There is the person others think you are. There is the person God knows you are and can be through Christ.”– Billy Graham
40. “We hurt people by being too busy. Too busy to notice their needs. Too busy to drop that note of comfort or encouragement or assurance of love. Too busy to listen when someone needs to talk. Too busy to care.”– Billy Graham
Billy Graham: Life is Short
This is a very inspirational message with a strong message. If you are a fan of Billy Graham, it is worth a watch.
Related: The Most Inspiring Church Quotes
Billy Graham is without a doubt the greatest evangelist of all time. He preached to over 210 million audiences in more than 185 countries, clearly demonstrating his legacy. He was the spiritual advisor to the U.S presidents from the 33rd president to the 44th president.
His message was very clear and simple. His mission was very successful and many people accepted Christ. The above quotes about Billy Graham about hope, faith, religion, love, heaven, and humility are very inspirational and motivating in your lowest moments.
Related: Outstanding Peace Quotes
Image Credit: Foley, Mark T., Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.