They didn’t have forever; they just had each other. Any guesses what movie I am referring to? Of course, you do – it is in the title of this piece. It is a statement that is wholeheartedly true about The Fault in Our Stars. They didn’t have forever! They were both dying, and they knew it. They just had each other (and whatever time was left for each of them). The movie makes you laugh; it makes you cry, making you think about what you would do if you were in their situation. Augustus and Hazel are two teenagers, both on borrowed time, who meet at a cancer support group. They figure out that they have quite a bit in common and slowly begin hanging out and falling in love. The movie is brilliantly written, and the actors/actresses who play the characters do a tremendous job. It makes you feel like you are in the midst of the situation instead of watching it on television or in a movie theatre.
The Fault in Our Stars was released in theatres on June 6, 2014, and its first week, it brought in over $48 million. It was actually the best-selling novel by John Green two years before it hit the big screen. It was published on January 10, 2012. The book debuted at the number one spot on the New York Times Best Seller List for Children’s Chapter Books and held that spot for 7 weeks. Time Magazine also name The Fault in Our Stars the number one fiction book in 2012. Most of the quotes that we have found throughout our internet search are from the book and are made by John Green himself. We did include a handful from Hazel and Augustus as well.
The Fault in our Stars Quotes
1. “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly and then all at once.”
2. “The marks humans leave are too often scars.” – Hazel
3. “I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up, my friend.”
4. “Oh, I wouldn’t mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you.” – Augustus
5. “I’m so excited I can barely breathe.” – Hazel
6. “I believe the universe wants to be noticed. I think the universe is improbably biased toward the consciousness, that it rewards intelligence in part because the universe enjoys its elegance being observed. And who am I, living in the middle of history, to tell the universe that it-or my observation of it – is temporary?”
7. “The only thing worse than biting it from cancer is having a kid bite it from cancer.” – Hazel
8. “I’m in love with you, and I’m not in the business of denying myself the simple pleasure of saying true things.”
9. “I’m like. Like. I’m like a grenade, mom. I’m a grenade, and at some point, I’m going to blow up, and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?” – Hazel
10. “You are going to live a good and long life filled with great and terrible moments that you cannot even imagine yet!” – Augustus
11. “I will not tell you our love story because-like all real love stories-it will die with us, as it should.”
12. “Gus, my love, I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.” – Hazel
13. “You realize that trying to keep your distance from me will not lessen my affection for you. All efforts to save me from you will fail.”
14. “You gave me a forever within the numbered days, and I’m grateful.”
15. “Even though you have freaking cancer, you are willing to give money to a corporation for a chance to acquire even more cancer? Let me assure you that not being able to breathe? SUCKS!. Totally disappointing, totally.” – Hazel
16. “But I believe in true love, you know? I don’t believe that everybody gets to keep their eyes or have true love, and it should last at least as long as your life does.”
17. “Without pain, how could we know joy? This is an old argument in the field of thinking about suffering, and its stupidity and lack of sophistication could be plumbed for centuries but suffice it to say that the existence of broccoli does not, in any way, affect the state of chocolate.” – Hazel
18. “Guys, I think we should wait until dark.” – Hazel
19. “Some people don’t understand the promises they’re making when they make them.”
20. “Only now that I loved a grenade did I understand the foolishness of trying to save others from my own impending fragmentation; I couldn’t unlove Augustus Waters, and I didn’t want to.” – Hazel
21. “Maybe okay will be our always.”
22. “You say you’re not special because the world doesn’t know about you, but that’s not an insult to me. I know about you.”
23. “Have you ever stopped to ask yourself why you care so much about our silly questions?” – Peter
24. “I want to see you again tonight. But I’m willing to wait all night and much of tomorrow.”
25. “We may not look like much, but between us are five legs, four eyes, and two and a half working pair of lungs. But we also have two dozen eggs. So, I suggest you go back inside.” – Augustus
26. “But I will say this: When the scientists of the future show up at my house with robot eyes, and they tell me to try them on, I will tell the scientists to screw off because I do not want to see a world without him. I was kind of crying by then.”
27. “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in This world… but you do have some say in who hurts you. I like my choices.”
28. “It’s a metaphor, see: you put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don’t give it the power to make its killing.”
29. “But it is the nature of the stars to cross, and never was Shakespeare more wrong than when he has Cassius note, “the fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves.”.”
30. “Come over here so I can examine your face with my hands and see deeper into your soul than a sighted person ever could.”
31. “I wanted to know that he would be oka if I died. I wanted not to be a grenade, not to be a malevolent force in the lives of people I loved.”
32. “Thank you for explaining that my eye cancer isn’t going to make me deaf. I feel so fortunate that an intellectual giant like yourself would deign to operate on me.”
33. “I love you present time.”
34. “You used,” he said, and then took a sharp breath, “To call me Augustus.”.”
35. “Is it still cool to go to the mall?” she asked. “I take quite a lot of pride in not knowing what’s cool,’ I answered.”
36. “Keep your s*** together,” I whispered to my lungs.”
37. “Mom sobbed something into Dad’s chest that I wish I hadn’t heard and that I hope she never finds out that I did hear. She said, “I won’t be a mom anymore.” It gutted me pretty badly.”
38. “Where is my chance to be somebody’s Peter Van Houten?’ He hit the steering wheel weakly, the car honking as he cried. He leaned his head back, looking up. ‘I hate myself I hate myself I hate this I hate this I disgust myself I hate it I hate it I hate it just let me fucking die.”
39. “I am in the midst of a soliloquy! I wrote This out and memorized it, and if you interrupt me, I will completely screw it up,’ Augustus interrupted. ‘Please be eating your sandwich and listening.”
40. “You will not kill my girlfriend today, International Terrorists of Ambiguous Nationality!”
Video – The Fault in Our Stars Official Trailer
The Fault In Our Stars Movie features Shailene Woodley as Hazel and Ansel Elgort as Gus. They play two extraordinary teenagers who share an acerbic wit, a disdain for the conventional, and a love that sweeps them on an unforgettable journey. What makes the movie even more of an emotional journey is that they meet and fall in love at a Cancer support group. This movie explores the teenage experience of being alive and in love.
This is a great inspiring trailer. If you watch it, we bet you will probably watch the movie this week – it’s that good.
The Fault in Our Stars may have been on the Children’s Chapter Booklist, but the movie is for anyone of any age to enjoy. He is a wonderful love story that portrays actual struggles of having cancer, the joy in following a dream no matter how hard it is, and the pure joy of being loved and loving someone. Having a limited amount of life left and not even knowing exactly how long you have is not an easy thing for a person or their friends and family to deal with.
This movie, in my opinion, is a must-see no matter your age. I am actually going to sit down This evening and re-watch it, as I have not seen it since 2016. My teenage daughters have read the book, but that is something I have not done. I like to read books made into major motion pictures to see how close they are in sequence. Some movies match the books perfectly, and some deviate just a little bit. So reading the book is also on my to do list too.
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.