Bill Cosby is a famous American actor, comedian, author, producer, and TV personality. He rose to fame as a stand-up comic and eventually began working as an actor.
The first popular series he was featured in was I Spy, which aired from 1965 to 1968, where Bill Cosby played one of the leading roles. It was one of the first times a Black American was featured in a positive leading role on American television.
Bill became even more popular with The Cosby Show, which aired in the 1980s and became a major hit for NBC. For five consecutive seasons, it became the most popular TV program in America. Bill Cosby was also an activist who encouraged young African Americans to pursue higher education.
Although Bill Cosby was a popular TV star loved by many, when allegations of sexual misconduct against him began to surface, he received extreme backlash from the American public. He was found guilty of some of the charges pressed against him, which tarnished his reputation in the public eye forever.
Here Are Some of the Most Inspiring Bill Cosby Quotes
1. “A word to the wise ain’t necessary; it’s the stupid ones who need advice.” ― Bill Cosby
2. “In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.” ― Bill Cosby
3. “The past is a ghost, the future a dream, and all we ever have is now.” ― Bill Cosby
4. “Women don’t want to hear what you think. Women want to hear what they think – in a deeper voice.” ― Bill Cosby
5. “Parents are not interested in justice; they’re interested in peace and quiet.” ― Bill Cosby
6. “You can turn painful situations around through laughter. If you can find humor in anything, even poverty, you can survive it.” ― Bill Cosby
7. “Every closed eye is not sleeping, and every open eye is not seeing.” ― Bill Cosby
8. “Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell, the name will carry.” ― Bill Cosby
9. “Decide that you want it more than you are afraid of it.” ― Bill Cosby
10. “No matter how calmly you try to referee, parenting will eventually produce bizarre behavior, and I’m not talking about the kids. Their behavior is always normal.” ― Bill Cosby
11. “I guess the real reason that my wife and I had children is the same reason that Napoleon had for invading Russia: it seemed like a good idea at the time.” ― Bill Cosby
12. “Let us now set forth one of the fundamental truths about marriage: the wife is in charge.” ― Bill Cosby
13. “Gray hair is God’s graffiti.” ― Bill Cosby
14. “Human beings are the only creatures that allow their children to come back home.” ― Bill Cosby
15. “Having a child is surely the most beautifully irrational act that two people in love can commit.” ― Bill Cosby, Fatherhood
16. “Poets have said that the reason to have children is to give yourself immortality. Immortality? Now that I have five children, my only hope is that they are all out of the house before I die.” – Bill Cosby
17. “Through humor, you can soften some of the worst blows that life delivers. And once you find laughter, no matter how painful your situation might be, you can survive it.” ― Bill Cosby
18. “A grandchild is God’s reward for raising a child.” ― Bill Cosby
19. “I am proud to be an American. Because an American can eat anything on the face of this earth as long as he has two pieces of bread.” ― Bill Cosby
20. “I brought you in this world, and I can take you out!” ― Bill Cosby
21. “When you graduate from college, they tell you to follow your dreams. Does anyone say you have to wake up first?” ― Bill Cosby
22. “The worst thing to do is to die while reading LIFE magazine.” ― Bill Cosby
23. “If you want to be seen, stand up. If you want to be heard, speak up. If you want to be appreciated, shut up.” ― Bill Cosby
24. “In spite of the seven thousand books of expert advice, the right way to discipline a child is still a mystery to most fathers and… mothers. Only your grandmother and Genghis Khan know how to do it.” ― Bill Cosby
25. “Man can not live by bread alone … he must have peanut butter.” ― Bill Cosby
26. “A sailboat that sails backwards can never see the sun rise.” ― Bill Cosby
27. “When you graduate from college, they tell you to follow your dreams. Does anyone say you have to wake up first?” ― Bill Cosby
28. “I’m not the boss of my house. I don’t know how I lost it; I don’t know when I lost it; I don’t really think I ever had it. But I’ve seen the boss’s job, and I don’t want it!” ― Bill Cosby
29. “Nothing separates the generations more than music. By the time a child is eight or nine, he has developed a passion for his own music that is even stronger than his passions for procrastination and weird clothes.” ― Bill Cosby
30. “The essence of childhood, of course, is play, which my friends and I did endlessly on streets that we reluctantly shared with traffic.” ― Bill Cosby
31. “When you become senile, you won’t know it.” ― Bill Cosby
32. “The very first law in advertising is to avoid the concrete promise and cultivate the delightfully vague.” ― Bill Cosby
33. “People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what’s bitter and move on.” ― Bill Cosby
34. “Old is always fifteen years from now.” ― Bill Cosby
35. “The heart of marriage is memories; and if the two of you happen to have the same ones and can savor your reruns, then your marriage is a gift from the gods.” ― Bill Cosby
36. “In spite of the six thousand manuals on child raising in the bookstores, child raising is still a dark continent, and no one really knows anything. You just need a lot of love and luck – and, of course, courage.” ― Bill Cosby, Fatherhood
Bill Cosby Quotes – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is Bill Cosby famous for?
Bill Cosby is an actor, author, producer, and comedian who began his career in Hollywood as a stand-up comedian. He promoted a positive portrayal of African Americans on TV and encouraged young Black Americans to pursue higher education. However, Bill Cosby’s inspiring and sterling public image was tarnished permanently once almost 60 women made accusations of sexual assault against him. He received major backlash for his sexual misconduct and was even involved in multiple lawsuits.
Why was the Bill Cosby Show canceled?
The Bill Cosby Show was canceled by major streaming platforms and TV networks in 2014, when allegations of sexual misconduct were made against him and he faced strong public backlash.
Did Bill Cosby win a Grammy?
Bill Cosby has won eight Grammy Awards for his comedy records throughout his career.
Eddie Murphy on Bill Cosby
Eddie recalls imitating Bill Cosby when he accepted the Mark Twain Prize at the Kennedy Center, and he reveals whether or not he heard from him afterward.
Bill Cosby is a famous comedian, actor, TV personality, and author. He has won multiple awards for his acting and comedic performances and was revered as a leader in the African American community owing to his many contributions.
Mr. Cosby played a major role in making American television more inclusive as he wanted Black people to be portrayed positively on air.
Even though Bill Cosby used to be a popular TV star with humorous and insightful advice for his fans, no one can excuse his sexual misconduct and forget how he took advantage of many women over the years.
NBC Television, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
US Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Kevin S. O’Brien, Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.