Smoking is a cultural practice across most of the countries across the globe that has existed for centuries. And this shouldn’t come as a surprise as it is an activity that most people enjoy since it helps them relax. Therefore, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that there are many quotes associated with smoking. Some are positive and see smoking as beneficial, but most focus on the negative aspects.
We have assembled the best group of quotes for you on this topic.
1. “The pipe draws wisdom from the lips of the philosopher, and shuts up the mouth of the foolish; it generates a style of conversation, contemplative, thoughtful, benevolent, and unaffected.”
-William Makepeace Thackeray, from “The Social Pipe”
2. “The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It’s the poor man’s friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth.”-Sam Slick, the clockmaker.
3. “I hated tobacco. I could have almost lent my support to any institution that had for its object the putting of tobacco smokers to death…I now feel that smoking in moderation is a comfortable and laudable practice and is productive of good. There is no more harm in a pipe than in a cup of tea. You may poison yourself by drinking too much green tea, and kill yourself by eating too many beefsteaks. For my part, I consider that tobacco, in moderation, is a sweetener and equalizer of the temper.”
-Thomas Henry Huxley
4. “Smoking I find the most ridiculous of all the varieties of human behavior and practically the only one that is entirely against nature. Can you imagine a cow or any animal taking a mouthful of smoldering straw then breathing in the smoke and blowing it out through its nostrils?”― Ian Fleming, Goldfinger
5. “I make it a rule never to smoke while I’m sleeping,” Mark Twain
6. “Do you mind if I don’t smoke,” Groucho Marx
7. “Each of us should think of the future. Every puff on a cigarette is another tick closer to a time bomb of terrible consequences. Christopher Hitchens didn’t care about the consequences of smoking cigarettes. Tragically, he died of throat cancer in December 2011,” Ray Comfort.
8. “After 50 years of smoking unfiltered cigarettes, my father died, too young, of a massive heart attack. He was 69. It’s almost certain that all those years of nicotine inhalation were a major contributor to his clogged arteries,” Tom Brokaw.
9. “I tried to stop smoking cigarettes by telling myself I just didn’t want to smoke, but I didn’t believe myself,” Barbara Kelly.
10. “I used to smoke two packs a day, and I just hate being a nonsmoker…. but I will never consider myself a nonsmoker because I always find smokers the most interesting people at the table,” Michelle Pfeiffer.
11. “As the priest is characterized by his cassock, so the smoker by his pipe. The way in which he holds it, raises it to his lips, and knocks out the ashes, reveals his personality, habits, passions, and even his thoughts,”-E. Th. A. Hoffmann.
12. “A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.”-Edward George Bulwer.
13. “If I had felt then as I feel now, or as I felt a few years after I had married her, nothing could possibly have persuaded me to marry a woman who smoked. Dates, yes. Sexual adventures, yes. But to pin myself permanently inside closed quarters with a smoker? Never. Never. Never. Beauty wouldn’t count, sweetness wouldn’t count, suitability in every other respect wouldn’t count.”― Isaac Asimov.
14. “I have made it a rule never to smoke more than one cigar at a time. I have no other restriction as regards smoking.” ― Mark Twain.
15. “The book was not new. Dates were stamped on the front endpaper, in and out dates. A rent book. A lending library of elaborate sm*t.
I rewrapped the book and locked it up behind the seat. A racket like that, out in the open on the boulevard, seemed to mean plenty of protection. I sat there and poisoned myself with cigarette smoke and listened to the rain and thought about it.” ― Raymond Chandler
16. “Scientists have demonstrated that dramatic, positive changes can occur in our lives as a direct result of facing an extreme challenge – whether it’s coping with a serious illness, daring to quit smoking, or dealing with depression. Researchers call this ‘post-traumatic growth,” Jane McGonigal
17. “America must not ignore the threat gathering against us. Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof, the smoking gun that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud,” George W. Bush
18. “You can’t delete racism. It’s like a cigarette. You can’t stop smoking if you don’t want to, and you can’t stop racism if people don’t want to. But I’ll do everything I can to help,” Mario Balotelli
19. “I struggled to kick the habit – I would make a decision to give up smoking, but it was hard. I couldn’t resist the urge to steal a smoke. It was at that time that I was gifted Allen Carr’s book ‘The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.’ After I read that book, I didn’t touch a f*g again,” Mahesh Babu
20. “Nowhere in the world will such a brotherly feeling of confidence be experienced as amongst those who sit together smoking their pipes.”- The Results and Merits of Tobacco, 1844, Doctor Barnstein
21. “If you can’t send money, send tobacco.”-George Washington
22. “He who doth not smoke hath either known no great griefs, or refuseth himself the softest consolation, next to that which comes from heaven.” ― Edward Bulwer
23. Why do you have a cigarette lighter in your glove compartment?” her husband, Jack, asked her. “I’m bored with knitting. I’ve taken up arson” , Audrey Niffenegger, Her Fearful Symmetry
24. “Smoking kills. If you’re killed, you’ve lost a very important part of your life.” Brooke Shields
25. “Man, it was a good thing vampires didn’t get cancer. Lately he’d been chain-smoking like a felon.”, J.R. Ward, Lover Unbound
26. “Then she declared loudly, “Smoke break!” and everyone’s eyes came to us, some of them shocked seeing as these days you could light up a doobie and no one would blink but if you lit up a smoke, you courted being publicly stoned to death.” Kristen Ashley.
27. “She blew more smoke toward me, a lazy game of cancer catch.” Gillian Flynn
We hope these smoking quotes are what you were looking for today. They are definitely different from most of the quotes on our site, which are more uplifting.
Related: Quotes about Stoners
I’m Alice Judy and AnQuotes is a fun hobby for me. We know that everyone loves a great quote and our mission here is simple – to be the best and most interesting quote site in the world! If you have quotes you would like us to cover, please contact us.